Training Pre season. Next up a VFL practice game v Williamstown at Arden St 10.30am Sat 17th Mar.

Remove this Banner Ad

No, the majority of them are not.

It's a cop out to say it's bad luck in a contact sport.

It would be rare to injure a Hamstring from contact. Andrew Swallows achilles didn't rupture thanks to contact. Nat Fyfes back didn't give out a few preseasons ago thanks to contact - he did it pushing off an opponent to lead up and mark in training.

It's just apologetics.

Long post coming...

For those who may be interested and are happy for me to explain id like to use Swallows Achilles as an example.

An Achilles is designed to function and be loaded normally. Clinically, any Achilles issue tends to be associated with a whole bunch of broader (asymptomatic) issues - of which ankle stiffness is at the top of the list.
The ankle probably won't hurt nor does it feel stiff day to day but there is a measurable decrease in joint mobility.

This ankle stiffness has a direct impact on the way the entire foot, arch, ankle and leg are loaded. If you watched someone with stiff ankles squat deep, you might see heels that want to lift, feet that turn out, knees that cave inwards, a tendency to want to fall backwards and most obvious to everyone - arches that are flat or flatten.

The leg has a tendency to do all this to get around a stiffness - albeit one hiding in plain sight.

Because of this, we tend to see a leg that collapses inwards whic changes the entire orientation that the achilles functions from. Prolonged poor loading will eventually end up dysfunctional with or without pain.

As stated in a long winded previous post, this in no way can predict an Achilles issue, but once sore or injured hindsight is 20/20. We can tell that this is important because in real time, we can free up a stiff ankle and see low level Achilles issues clear up immediately. We can tape an arch and see the same thing happen in nastier ones - although this (and orthotics) are forever just a symptomatic treatment and not a cure.

Once the ankle de-stiffens enough and other mechanical principles are practiced so that the Achilles is orientated normally, AN ACHILLES SHOULD NEVER GET SORE.

There's anecdotal evidence out there that you could potentially suspend a car from an Achilles, so when progressing this idea to include Swallows rupture, imagine how long that tendon had to be poorly loaded for it to completely sever.

Most including Roughead from Hawthorn rupture their Achilles running. It feels like someone's kicked them in the leg. No contact, no horrible fall or awkward tackle. It just happens doing the EXACT thing the Achilles was designed to do - run. Even using basic logic normal things shouldn't cause dysfunction in the body. Age doesn't count like we think it does, training factors don't as well - despite how much emphasis we place on them when trying to uncover causes. There's a whole deeper layer that sets things up to fail.

The body is brilliant in its design and it's robustness. It takes a lot to injure it. A ruptured Achilles is a great example of something that appears bad luck because he may have felt entirely fine beforehand and unless you have an understanding of specifically what his ankles did day to day before the injury you'll be none the wiser after.

But make no mistake, almost every issue has some controllable factors that set it up to fail when it does.

That time you coughed or sneezed and hurt your back wasn't the true problem. Your years of shitty postures and spinal habits left you vulnerable at that point.

That time you woke up with a crook neck wasn't because you slept funny, it was a direct response to some crappy, prolonged positions the day before.

That tennis elbow you randomly developed wasn't through "overuse", your completely asymptomatic stiff neck set it up To gradually fail.

Sure you popped your shoulder out landing awkwardly, but the poor shoulder function you unknowingly developed sitting crappily at your desk/on your couch for years prior robbed you of you inherent ability to buffer that nasty accident.

I want this to be very clear if only for old mate Snake, this is not opinion, I'm not sure if this even can be remotely classified as "data" but it is what it is.

Years of clinical experience and a focus only on results leads us down this path.

In summary, injuries can and will appear random for a whole host of reasons. There's nothing wrong with that. But the good news is that the majority of them can be prevented if the issues are picked up and resolved soon enough. This isn't just throwing strength at things, but mobility and lifestyles factors MUST be changed for good.

You would also assume that AFL medical teams already know this, but for some reason the industry isn't at a point yet where everyone knows everything about everything.

Sorry if this was too long and boring but I thought it might be intetesting for some.

If not I apologise!

What’s your thoughts on a player like boomer who not only defied his age but pretty much every other Player in the comp but having a very low soft tissue injury.

Is it a coincidence that he was also the one of the hardest trainers in both the gym and on field across his career?

What’s your thoughts on a player like boomer who not only defied his age but pretty much every other Player in the comp but having a very low soft tissue injury.

Is it a coincidence that he was also the one of the hardest trainers in both the gym and on field across his career?
Busted his arm pretty badly when tackled by Daniel Jackson a few years back ...

On LG-H990 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Oh FFS is this conversation still going? I am glad I dont read much (which probably explains a few things) to read through all of that.

Groin guru what did you do this time?

I just cut my thumb off trying to cut my finger nails with a carving knife. Wish I had some data to prevent the injury cause it’s bloody hard (and just plain bloody) typing on the phone with one hand.

This wouldn’t have happened with KangaKnife

Anyone who thinks footy injuries are 100% due to bad luck is patently stupid. They clearly do not believe in stretching, recovery, preventative exercise or injury prevention. “Give me data goddammit!” Here’s your data numbskull: every professional sporting club in the world disagrees with you.

The only person dumber is the flog who reckons all injuries are due to poor management. “Gee, if only Steve Saunders wasn’t a knob, Darren Milane wouldn’t have missed a week when that truck decapitated him! Sack Scotts!”

If there’s anyone else I haven’t managed to insult, well get a polarised opinion ya soft prick!

Now piss off and tell me who’s burning up the track!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone who thinks footy injuries are 100% due to bad luck is patently stupid. They clearly do not believe in stretching, recovery, preventative exercise or injury prevention. “Give me data goddammit!” Here’s your data numbskull: every professional sporting club in the world disagrees with you.

The only person dumber is the flog who reckons all injuries are due to poor management. “Gee, if only Steve Saunders wasn’t a knob, Darren Milane wouldn’t have missed a week when that truck decapitated him! Sack Scotts!”

If there’s anyone else I haven’t managed to insult, well get a polarised opinion ya soft prick!

Now piss off and tell me who’s burning up the track!

You forgot to mention the vegans

I went and watched a bit of training on Monday

There was a quick match simulation except for Majak and Hrovat who were off to the side just doing kick to kick with each other. Bizzare.\

Anyway things of note

- Hibberd was so slow with the ball,like extremely slow, all other players screaming too slow too slow, got caught a couple of times
- Cunnington at time still trying to do too much with it, got caught a couple of times, completely dropped the ball without being tackled another time
- McKay playing as tall lead up, looked good, took a couple of marks
- A lot of handpassing back to a bail out player who kept hitting every target with a left foot from the half back line, I had no idea who the kid was until I realized as one of the players yelled out Lukey and he drilled another target :hearteyes::hearteyes:
- Pruess may be even bigger than last year, giant of a man, must play round 1
- Constant yelling to move it quick, move it quick and when they didn't a lot of them copped it.

There was a quick match simulation except for Majak and Hrovat who were off to the side just doing kick to kick with each other. Bizzare.\

Anyway things of note

- Hibberd was so slow with the ball,like extremely slow, all other players screaming too slow too slow, got caught a couple of times
- Cunnington at time still trying to do too much with it, got caught a couple of times, completely dropped the ball without being tackled another time
- A lot of handpassing back to a bail out player who kept hitting every target with a left foot from the half back line, I had no idea who the kid was until I realized as one of the players yelled out Lukey and he drilled another target :hearteyes::hearteyes:
- Constant yelling to move it quick, move it quick and when they didn't a lot of them copped it.

So who was playing in the forward line? Any of the youngsters other than LDU impress?

Thanks for the report!

Anyway things of note

Thanks. Did you see LDU, Simpkin or Garner?

So who was playing in the forward line? Any of the youngsters other than LDU impress?

Thanks for the report!

Not really, it was quick circle work/footy sim.

LDU just stood out due to hitting targets. something no one else seems to find easy.

I found Hrovat and Majak off to the side really odd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back