Play Nice 2018 Ladder Predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

Did a very rough game-by-game prediction, this is the result.

1. GWS
2. Geelong
3. Richmond
4. Port Adelaide
5. Sydney
6. Adelaide
7. Essendon
8. Melbourne

9. Western Bulldogs
10. Hawthorn
11. Fremantle
12. St Kilda
13. Brisbane
14. Collingwood
15. Carlton
16. West Coast
17. Gold Coast
18. Kangaroos

Interested to see how wrong I am come the end of the season.

1.Richmond
2.GWS
3.Melbourne
4.Sydney
5.Port Power
6.Geelong
7.Adelaide
8.Essendon
As a matter of curiosity, what factors do you think would cause Adelaide to fall that far? I can at least see a case to be made they might not perform at the pointy end of the season, but 7th?

1: Melbourne
2: Footscray
3: Fremantle
4: Sydney
5: North
6: Hawthorn
7: St Kilda
8: Gold Coast

9: Essendon
10: Carlton
11: Adelaide
12: Port
13: Collingwood
14: Richmond
15: Brisbane
16: GWS
17: West Coast
18: Geelong

Last minute.com ladder

1. Sydney
2. Richmond
3. Port Adelaide
4. Adelaide
5. GWS
6. Melbourne
7. Geelong
8. St Kilda

9. Essendon
10. Western Bulldogs
11. Hawthorn
12. Collingwood
13. Fremantle
14. Brisbane Lions
15. West Coast
16. North Melbourne
17. Carlton
18. Gold Coast

As for why:

Sydney after their 0-6 start was the best side in the comp before blowing the semi. I feel like the start was an anomaly. I think we're still got one great year left in us, but I'm skeptical of our ability to win when the going gets really tough.

I thought Richmond could do a Bulldogs for a while, but now I'm back on them. They are still a very good side and I don't think clubs have caught up to them yet - they feel more of a Collingwood 2010 rather than a Hawthorn 08.

I really like Port's side this year. Lack a bit of depth but their 22 looks (IMO) the strongest in the comp, and clubs that have a tendency to lose a lot of close ones the year before tend to have their luck in the close games improve the next year.

Adelaide will still be up there, but sides that lose a granny in ugly fashion tend to regress somewhat the year after so I think that might haunt them. Their defensive losses will hurt a bit too.

GWS I'm still not convinced have sorted their issues that held them back last year, but I don't think they will have the same sort of injury run. Too talented to miss the 8.

I'm still not completely sold on Melbourne, but talent wise they're too good to miss the 8. They only missed out by a goal last year, and with Hogan and Gawn back, Lever coming in and their side being a year older they should only improve.

Geelong's stars and home ground advantage will keep them in the 8, but I don't rate their depth all that much and I think outside of Geelong they might struggle a bit.

St Kilda are an interesting one. It was worth noting that they kicked themselves out of many games last year - I'm tipping them to reverse that a bit and sneak into the 8. Improvements from their younger players will help.

Essendon have a lot of flair, but I don't think they've adequately addressed their weaknesses and given that at least 2 Top 8 sides miss out the year later, I think they'll fall victim again. Will be worth watching though.

Western Bulldogs still have a strong midfield, but I think they lack balance. Their lack of scoring power worries me. Will still be solid.

Hawthorn I don't rate that highly, but they still have their aura, and most importantly Clarkson. They'll still prove very tough in close contests, but I think they've declined too much to remain consistent.

Collingwood will probably remain Collingwood. Their midfield is too good to fall too far, but like a few clubs I don't think they've improved enough on 2017, and they weren't great then. Another middling season from the Pies.

Fremantle have been tipped as a surprise improver, but they were awful over the last two years, and I don't think they've improved enough to really rise.

Brisbane I think will improve a bit, they showed some decent signs over the back half of last year and they've got some really promising youngsters. Expect the Gabba to become a much tougher place to visit.

West Coast are my slumper tip. Not enough going for them over than their defence and the new ground will hurt too. Increasingly feel like this year's North.

North Melbourne just don't have enough going for them. I don't think they're as rubbish as some people think, but they aren't good.

Carlton were already bad and they've lost two of their best five players last year. Ouch. One more year down the bottom for them.

Gold Coast just don't look good at all. Worse, their fixture hits them hard in terms of travel and HGA. Will struggle.

Last edited:
hell boys I forgot to make a ladder prediction let me get right on that before the games start

1. Giants
2. Tigers
3. Swans
4. Cats
5. Crows
6. Demons
7. Bulldogs
8. Saints
--
9. Hawks
10. Power
11. Bombers
12. Eagles
13. Magpies
14. Dockers
15. Lions
16. Blues
17. Suns
18. Kangaroos

there we go made it

Sydney
GWS
Port
Melb
Adelaide
Geelong
Richmond
Bulldogs
-----------
Essendon
Hawks
Carlton
Saints
Suns
Freo
Lions
C'wood
Eagles
North

Brownlow - Martin
Coleman - Buddy
Rising Star - Paddy Wow
Norm Smith - The Year of Aliir.

1. Sydney
2. Greater Western Sydney
3. Geelong
4. Adelaide
5. Melbourne
6. Port Adelaide
7. Richmond
8. Essendon
12. Hawthorn
13. Fremantle
14. North Melbourne
15. Gold Coast
16. Brisbane
17. Collingwood
18. Carlton

1. Adelaide
2. The mighty unstoppable Giants
3. Richmond
4. Port Adelaide
5. Geelong
6. Melbourne
7. Western Bulldogs
8. Collingwood
9. Sydney
10. St Kilda
11. Essendon
12. Gold Coast
13. Brisbane
14. Carlton
15. Fremantle
16. North Melbourne
17. Hawthorn
18. West Coast

GF - The mighty unstoppable Giants 23.17 155 3.5 23
Crowd attendance 91,203
Norm Smith - Josh Kelly 38 disposals 2.1

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Adelaide
Sydney
Collingwood
GWS
Port Adelaide
Fremantle
Essendon
West Coast

Richmond
Geelong
Hawthorn
Western Bulldogs
Melbourne
Brisbane
St Kilda
Gold Coast
Carlton
North Melbourne

(This isn't a reactionary prediction based on tonight's game. Did it this morning)

GWS
Essendon
Port Adelaide
Geelong
Richmond
Adelaide
Sydney
Melbourne

Hawthorn
Carlton
Fremantle
Collingwood