Review Good/Bad/Ugly v Richmond (R2 2018)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You’ve taken my use of the word blueprint literally, I used the word in the way it is thrown around in AFL circles.

And no, it is not as simple as just rolling it out and beating us. You need a midfield who can sustain pressure, a backline that holds structure and then capitilises on the rushed entry and a forward line who converts. Just because there is a tactic that could win you the game doesn’t mean you can necessarily execute it.

You say what counted was how much better we played than against Essendon but there is always a reason. If you go back to the Essendon match and Betts trying or having to take hanger after hanger I believe it is because our mids just bombed away. Against Richmond we possessed the footy more, don’t play in to the hands of Rance and co. with long high balls so much and different result. There are other elements also e.g how well our defence held up on Thursday night but doesn’t really matter how well they hold up if we just bomb away once we get the footy back.

I don’t care what you call it but if there is high pressure on the ball carrier and we bomb away we don’t score frequently enough. It ain’t something new.
I also think Sanders pointed out a great thing on Jenkins. He , Jenkins , stuck rigidly and with great discipline to a gameplan/blueprint for him and also Rance. His discipline forced Hardwick to react.

I think this is the most important part of a 'blueprint' that each player sticks to the script.

This, for sure.
Also, DM was an inspiration --- he re-signed with them, won the Brownlow and MVP. I'm sure they lifted for that and the reasons you mentioned.
Thought for a second DM was David Mackay

I also think Sanders pointed out a great thing on Jenkins. He , Jenkins , stuck rigidly and with great discipline to a gameplan/blueprint for him and also Rance. His discipline forced Hardwick to react.

I think this is the most important part of a 'blueprint' that each player sticks to the script.

I would have liked to see us be able to pass that gameplan onto other forwards though.

As soon as Rance went onto another player we didn't adapt and he was very influential in the second half.

We needed to give Fog a lot more guidance on dealing with Rance than we did in my opinion. Personally I would have told him to play as a defensive forward on Rance.. and basically smash him every time he tried to go for the ball. Don't think Rance would have handled the physicality well.

I hope Douglas doesn't come back next week, undisciplined action from a senior player.

Meanwhile every midfielder this week outperformed his performance last week.

If we drop someone and bring him back in, it won't be reward for effort.

Nope. Douglas in for Atkins imo.

I would have liked to see us be able to pass that gameplan onto other forwards though.

As soon as Rance went onto another player we didn't adapt and he was very influential in the second half.

We needed to give Fog a lot more guidance on dealing with Rance than we did in my opinion. Personally I would have told him to play as a defensive forward on Rance.. and basically smash him every time he tried to go for the ball. Don't think Rance would have handled the physicality well.
Many are now recognising that the best way to mitigate the influence of Rance is not to play a defensive role but to keep him honest and play through the forward on him, and keep them leading. Jenkins actually was an example of this in the first half.

Historically Rance overcomes the defensive forwards and runs off them.

Many are now recognising that the best way to mitigate the influence of Rance is not to play a defensive role but to keep him honest and play through the forward on him, and keep them leading. Jenkins actually was an example of this in the first half.

Historically Rance overcomes the defensive forwards and runs off them.

Most defensive forwards wouldn't be roughing him up as well as Fog could.

See how willing Rance is to take an intercept mark when he knows that barreling half a second behind him is a Fog out to cause some pain.

Most defensive forwards wouldn't be roughing him up as well as Fog could.

See how willing Rance is to take an intercept mark when he knows that barreling half a second behind him is a Fog out to cause some pain.
If Fogarty, or any other forward is leading and getting good delivery you'd hope Rance is chasing them. Not running in from the side either spoiling or taking the intercept mark.

I love Fogarty's seemly natural physicality. I don't think setting him up in his first season to jump all over defenders is great for his longer term development. From some past memory Robert Shaw stalled Roo's development trying to use him purely as an enforcer.

Would have been a big ask for a second gamer with questionable fitness in the second half.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure anyone in the club overpraised the minor round. We belted 2 sides in 2 finals, 1 in particular who has had the wood over us for years. We went into a GF without a key member of our running brigade on the largest ground against a running side. We also had no fit player on the bench in the 2nd half.

Of course we analyse that, but we can't ignore the fact that we are a good side who chose the worst day to have our worst day.

+1

Lost a pivotal player in Smith on the eve of a Grand Final. Nobody seems to realise the impact of trying to replace an important player in the space of a week.

Lost a very handy and difficult matchup in McGovern for the finals. Had to trot out Otten, a SANFL standard player for a Grand Final.

Greenwood was playing injured and cooked by quarter time.

Playing a Grand Final against a team who lost 1? Game there all year.

Umpires were incredibly biased against us.

Looking back at it now it’s no wonder we got smashed. We had a lot going against us but because we’d been so good during the year and just obliterated Geelong who had given us so much trouble for years we all went into a kind of state where we assumed we’d play well and overcome these issues because we had all year.

As a punter I’m furious at myself for not recognising the big advantage that Richmond had due to these things. I should’ve cleaned up on the Grand Final but I went into the game overconfident. If we’d barely scraped by Geelong it would’ve been better for us as I think we would’ve felt far more mortal.

Thursday night was immense. Don has learned and I think we showed that when we’re fit and healthy again we’ll be hard to stop. I think the loss could be of benefit for us this year. The players showed a mongrel and resolve I haven’t seen in years. Even better than beating Geelong last year.

Good win Crows.

Liked Tex after the game, not a fan of how he handled himself over the last 6 months, but found myself smiling when he was speaking.

Looking forward to our next encounter.

What the **** has he done wrong in the last six months

Some people who have an agenda against him and believe whatever the Vic media dishes up to them might think he’s actually done something wrong.

And those who believe in one game sample sizes instead of actually examining a player’s full body of work might think Tex doesn’t stand up in big games.

Couldn’t help but notice that Cotchin in his 200th was invisible the whole game when his team needed him. Everyone has bad games and I wouldn’t judge a player based on one game. But some people certainly do.......

Nobby

Some people who have an agenda against him and believe whatever the Vic media dishes up to them might think he’s actually done something wrong.

And those who believe in one game sample sizes instead of actually examining a player’s full body of work might think Tex doesn’t stand up in big games.

Couldn’t help but notice that Cotchin in his 200th was invisible the whole game when his team needed him. Everyone has bad games and I wouldn’t judge a player based on one game. But some people certainly do.......

Nobby
Can only comment on what is reported, we're not inside the inner sanctum of the club. Someone who is, appears to be leaking information in an attempt to undermine him, surely it isn't the media making it all up. If he berated Lever like was reported, yet happily let Cameron go and welcomed Gibbs with open arms, it shows how hypocritical he is. Graham Cornes comments on 5aa didn't help.

Sample sizes has nothing to do with it, we just have different interpretations of what constitutes standing up in games when needed. You think him getting plenty of outside ball and pin pointing passes is him being inspirational, while the experts want him to hit some packs and intimidate the opposition.

Most of the Tigers looked flat from what little of the game I saw, would be curious to know if Cotchins migraine impacted him, but he won't admit it if it had.

Can't read too much into the game, it's only round 2. You guys got the pychological boost you need, but it will be interesting to see where we are at the half way mark of the year and how our different brands of footy are stacking upa gains our oppositions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back