Autopsy Demons 100 def Dogs 51

Remove this Banner Ad

Macrae - Was good enough I suppose, but didn't really hurt the Dees at any point. Just ok.

JJ - Terrible. So weak, kicking has gone to s**t, playing forward is just a horrible position for him, since it doesn't let us utilise any of his strengths. Was alright in the last quarter when he went back for about half of it. But still. So bad. I'd almost drop him, but there are plenty of candidates for that.

Crozier - I actually thought he was quite good. Some strong spoils and was having a crack.

Schache - Worked into it slowly but thought he looked a little bit more comfortable. Nice to have someone who can kick a set shot. 3 tackles inside 50 as well.

McLean - Got a lot of it, but I thought it was probably his worst game for the year. A fair few silly mistakes he doesn't normally make.

Dahl - First quarter I didn't think he was that bad, did nothing at all for the rest of the game. Please stop kicking him the ball at about the 50m mark. Please. Fumbled everything as well. Again.

Richards - Not as good a game as he's had lately, but still alright. Surprised at only 1 tackle. Thought it'd be more than that since I saw him harassing players quite a lot with the ball.

Lipinski - Not a great game. Didn't really do anything. The miss at the end of the 3rd quarter would have been amazing if it had have been a goal.

Suckling - 2nd best on after Bont. Kicking was great, really nice goal, worked his arse off. Yay Suckers.

Gowers - Well that midfield experiment was a mistake. So fumbly up the field and as opposed to when he's deeper forward, his good second efforts to rectify it ended up giving the ball to the opposition more often than not, rather than maybe scrounging through a score. Back to the forward line please, Bevo.

Hunter - 32 touches, but a bit of a nothing game. First quarter I thought he was doing quite well. But not a lot after that. I'm sensing a theme here...

Honeychurch - Another who was doing well early then nothing. But it was a typical Honey game I guess. Did everything he always does. Everything.

Wood - Probably one of his better games this year in terms of actually reading the ball, but still so, so many dumb things that are just inexplicable when you think about what he used to do. The play deep in attack for Melbourne where he could have easily marked the ball (even ******* Garry Lyon thought so. I'm agreeing with Garry Lyon for god sake) and just let it bounce out instead. Then it was a throw in, McLean did his dumb handball into the goal square, Melbourne ended up kicking a goal. I was just so disappointed with Wood there, since it just looked so lazy.

Boyd - Legitimately surprised that he only had 4 touches. Thought was getting around a lot, and put in a ton of body work in the middle. I do wish people would kick him the ball when he's in the forward line instead of kicking it to Dahl.

Bontempelli - He was awesome. Looked a bit like old Bont. Not really much more to say. Let's all send him our love.

Smith - Bad. Don't really think he did one good thing.

Daniel - Just not getting involved in the game at all at the moment, and his kicking has gone wayyyyyy south. Reckon it's time for a spell in the VFL foor Caleb. In the team for kicking and decision making, and when he's not doing that he's not doing much at all.

Morris - Nice to see him back out there. Did Dale Morris things. Let's pray he never leaves us.

Trengove - Oh dear. Going to be one embarrassed man when he's shown the footage of him fighting with Gawn while Hogan casually kicks a goal. Wouldn't be surprised to see Naughton take his place after the bye after that.
Other than that, I thought he tried hard. Didn't get a lot of support down there. Made a few dumb mistakes though. Excluding his embarrassing moment, I thought he was going ok. Other than the whole getting a s**t ton of goals kicked on him.

Roughead - Replace with BTC please. It's BTC time. Roughy just isn't adding anything at all.

Williams - I haven't been a big believer in Williams before this year, but i've really enjoyed him playing the same role Matthew Boyd did in his last couple of years. I reckon it's suited him perfectly. So i was overjoyed to see Bailey thrown into the middle and replaced in that role with Roarke Smith who proceeded to do nothing at all. Didn't seem to gel in the middle quite yet. Maybe one day, but i'm liking him one kick behind the ball at the moment. Perfect role for him. Please put him back there against Port.

Dickson - Poor Dicko :( Probably just about done.

I've played football at a decent enough level, so I like to think I have an OK grasp at some areas of our game.
Tom Boyd really worries me when he actually plays up forward. He feels for his man too often and instead of flying up with two hands he is stopping mid stride, feeling for his opponent with one hand and throwing the other up in the air. That to me is lack of specific forward craft coaching and guidance as well as fear of being pummeled from behind (which is justified because it bloody hurts). I don't know if its too late but he will need to climb his development trajectory a hell of a lot if we are to bank on him as our main threat up forward. His best contest resulted in our first goal. Both arms up outstretched and halved a contest.

Schache looks lazy to me. Kick mark player and doesn't contest the hard stuff and always floats over the back of the pack for the easy handball. He clearly has talent to burn, look at his opening quarter. These two dudes need someone who has been there and done it to coach this lot on how to play to their strengths.

I sat and watched bont up forward, he plays it so naturally. Leads and the ball carrier, halves each contest and through great body positioning he can hold a mark. The only other player I have seen do this up forward is Tim English, who I think if we wanted to develop him up there he'd be a great kpf. Just my 2cents. Oh and play JJ down back.

We desperately need strong runners ahead of the ball providing obvious options for our ball carriers. If we concede that Shache is never going to be a contested pack marking beast (and its a fair assumption) then he has to develop into a running machine. I have some hopes for him as a hit up CHF.

JJs confidence has deserted him it seems. He won his fair share of ball, but he was not good with it. Its much harder to use the ball in traffic in the forward half as opposed to cruising past for a handball receive and having the whole ground in front of him. Doesnt mean he cant learn to do better tho.

Caleb looked very slow across the ground wth his little legs and inability to impact the contest when the ball is in the air.

This is a disgrace. Should not play for at least a month. Most embarrassing effort i have seen by a dog in years

LOL at Gawn's response to just point at Hogan and the little congrats bump after the goal went through. Loved it!

As for Trengove, pull your head in!

Compared to Melbourne who have many quick and good ball users, we are a team of plodders will poor skills. Even our smaller players are slow which in the modern game is unacceptable, Smith and Honey being prime examples. Our list will need rebuilding for a few years to get the right type of players to compete with the better teams in the comp which are light years ahead of us.
Really like that Tom McDonald chap, I'd package up half a dozen of our talls for him and then Melbourne would still want change.

Macrae - Was good enough I suppose, but didn't really hurt the Dees at any point. Just ok.

JJ - Terrible. So weak, kicking has gone to s**t, playing forward is just a horrible position for him, since it doesn't let us utilise any of his strengths. Was alright in the last quarter when he went back for about half of it. But still. So bad. I'd almost drop him, but there are plenty of candidates for that.

Crozier - I actually thought he was quite good. Some strong spoils and was having a crack.

Schache - Worked into it slowly but thought he looked a little bit more comfortable. Nice to have someone who can kick a set shot. 3 tackles inside 50 as well.

McLean - Got a lot of it, but I thought it was probably his worst game for the year. A fair few silly mistakes he doesn't normally make.

Dahl - First quarter I didn't think he was that bad, did nothing at all for the rest of the game. Please stop kicking him the ball at about the 50m mark. Please. Fumbled everything as well. Again.

Richards - Not as good a game as he's had lately, but still alright. Surprised at only 1 tackle. Thought it'd be more than that since I saw him harassing players quite a lot with the ball.

Lipinski - Not a great game. Didn't really do anything. The miss at the end of the 3rd quarter would have been amazing if it had have been a goal.

Suckling - 2nd best on after Bont. Kicking was great, really nice goal, worked his arse off. Yay Suckers.

Gowers - Well that midfield experiment was a mistake. So fumbly up the field and as opposed to when he's deeper forward, his good second efforts to rectify it ended up giving the ball to the opposition more often than not, rather than maybe scrounging through a score. Back to the forward line please, Bevo.

Hunter - 32 touches, but a bit of a nothing game. First quarter I thought he was doing quite well. But not a lot after that. I'm sensing a theme here...

Honeychurch - Another who was doing well early then nothing. But it was a typical Honey game I guess. Did everything he always does. Everything.

Wood - Probably one of his better games this year in terms of actually reading the ball, but still so, so many dumb things that are just inexplicable when you think about what he used to do. The play deep in attack for Melbourne where he could have easily marked the ball (even ******* Garry Lyon thought so. I'm agreeing with Garry Lyon for god sake) and just let it bounce out instead. Then it was a throw in, McLean did his dumb handball into the goal square, Melbourne ended up kicking a goal. I was just so disappointed with Wood there, since it just looked so lazy.

Boyd - Legitimately surprised that he only had 4 touches. Thought was getting around a lot, and put in a ton of body work in the middle. I do wish people would kick him the ball when he's in the forward line instead of kicking it to Dahl.

Bontempelli - He was awesome. Looked a bit like old Bont. Not really much more to say. Let's all send him our love.

Daniel - Just not getting involved in the game at all at the moment, and his kicking has gone wayyyyyy south. Reckon it's time for a spell in the VFL foor Caleb. In the team for kicking and decision making, and when he's not doing that he's not doing much at all.

Morris - Nice to see him back out there. Did Dale Morris things. Let's pray he never leaves us.

Trengove - Oh dear. Going to be one embarrassed man when he's shown the footage of him fighting with Gawn while Hogan casually kicks a goal. Wouldn't be surprised to see Naughton take his place after the bye after that.
Other than that, I thought he tried hard. Didn't get a lot of support down there. Made a few dumb mistakes though. Excluding his embarrassing moment, I thought he was going ok. Other than the whole getting a s**t ton of goals kicked on him.

Roughead - Replace with BTC please. It's BTC time. Roughy just isn't adding anything at all.

Williams - I haven't been a big believer in Williams before this year, but i've really enjoyed him playing the same role Matthew Boyd did in his last couple of years. I reckon it's suited him perfectly. So i was overjoyed to see Bailey thrown into the middle and replaced in that role with Roarke Smith who proceeded to do nothing at all. Didn't seem to gel in the middle quite yet. Maybe one day, but i'm liking him one kick behind the ball at the moment. Perfect role for him. Please put him back there against Port.

What a great review. I wouldn't change a single word.

The easiest change for me is JJ back, Smith out (he had an absurd game yesterday, one of the worst I’ve seen from a bulldog in a long time), Honeychurch out and Wallis and Dunkley back in to play mid/forward. I’ve no idea how Smith and Honeychurch continue to get games, they’re the definition of vfl players.

Called it on Smith last week. Just don't see it with him. Prepared to give all young guys a chance and he's had the knee injuries however there is no intent or hunger about him. (Unlike Richards) He didn't bust a gut chasing Collingwood players last week, gave up too easily. I want to see players pressure their oppo right til the ball us through the sticks. You don't give up. You never know what could happen so you keep going until it's beyond doubt.

Back to the twos Roarkey Boy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Possibly so. Was Ronald one of them?
No. He played for Geelong and is on Ch7 now. What would Friday nights be without him? Better? Probably.

Is it just me or has Melbourne had a McDonald in their team for the last 30 years?
This is one of their earlier ruck / forwards
640px-RR_McIan_-_%22Mac_Donald_of_Keppoch%22_-_%28Eyre-Todd%29.jpg

ca
Crameri would have added more to our side than most of our forwards yesterday. So what if it was only for another couple of years?

Stringer would have loved yesterday's style of match, and if he only had 6 touches, 3 of them would probably have been goals. There was never any question about his toughness.
Crameri was cooked. my take on yesterday is:

first quarter we were good. second, Melb started to put the screws on. third and final, Melb dominated. why and how. much more experienced and physical side. I think Morris is also cooked and should retire at the end of the year. brilliant player, but time waits for nobody. the rest of the side is inexperienced, tires due to small bodies and being young. jj needs a real kick up the ass and some players like rough and Boyd need to pull their fingers out. when you are young you struggle for 4 quarters. need a lot of improvement. will it happen soon, who knows. need to improve on our skill level big time. forward line does not exist. backline is good, midfield needs work. we need to recruit fast smart, skilled mid players to complement with mccrae, Bont et al. long suffering times this year, am afraid. :mad::'(:mad::'(

With Williams yes he did look a bit lost at times but in the first the extra big body looked handy.

He's definitely a mid and more value in there. Let him develop a combination with the other mids- going to take time.

Really like Bont up forward- when he gets beaten up the middle then he can't impact the contest but when he's fresh it take 2 opponents to control him. I reckon big guys like Ziebell, Bont, De Goey, Stringer, Cripps etc are better up forward as you need pace and you can't keep it up for as long.

Williams is good enough to fill the void imo.

Put the quick guys- Jj, Ed, Suckling, Crozier down back

Crameri was cooked. my take on yesterday is:

first quarter we were good. second, Melb started to put the screws on. third and final, Melb dominated. why and how. much more experienced and physical side. I think Morris is also cooked and should retire at the end of the year. brilliant player, but time waits for nobody. the rest of the side is inexperienced, tires due to small bodies and being young. jj needs a real kick up the ass and some players like rough and Boyd need to pull their fingers out. when you are young you struggle for 4 quarters. need a lot of improvement. will it happen soon, who knows. need to improve on our skill level big time. forward line does not exist. backline is good, midfield needs work. we need to recruit fast smart, skilled mid players to complement with mccrae, Bont et al. long suffering times this year, am afraid. :mad::'(:mad::'(

I suggest you watch a replay. The only person with a youth excuse that had any positive impact in our strong start was Schache, courtesy of getting hit in the head but actually being able to kick for goal. The rest was all experienced players. Our young guys didn't start strong and fade, they had no influence on the game from start to finish!

People need to stop looking at younger players with rose coloured glasses and taking the opposite approach with the older guys. Our problem is we keep trying to play games with about 16 contributors ( and that is possibly an over estimate). That is why we fade as a team, those blokes can only carry the passengers for so long.

I suggest you watch a replay. The only person with a youth excuse that had any positive impact in our strong start was Schache, courtesy of getting hit in the head but actually being able to kick for goal. The rest was all experienced players. Our young guys didn't start strong and fade, they had no influence on the game from start to finish!

People need to stop looking at younger players with rose coloured glasses and taking the opposite approach with the older guys. Our problem is we keep trying to play games with about 16 contributors ( and that is possibly an over estimate). That is why we fade as a team, those blokes can only carry the passengers for so long.

Nice theory which you have repeated a few times now.

So I tell you what, I'll watch a replay of the last rd, if you go back and watch a replay of rd 1 where many of your feted experienced players and hardly any kids played....dont want to spoil it for you but the losing margin was much bigger than yesterday's.

I watched the game live. as bevo said, there are expectations on our players having Won a flag 2 years ago, that are over the top. I still thin we have a really good group of young players, but they tAKE Time and as I said, we will have to her patient.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back