Review Geelong defeats Sydney by 12 points - Rd 16, 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

2012 was his best year by a long way.he used to take pack marks back then.
It's one of the big what-ifs at Geelong during my time watching them - what if his back hadn't basically curtailed his leap and mobility?

His game against Hawthorn where he kicked six from such limited supply was one of the best displays I've seen from a key forward, he was just so dominant - and had such an incredible, pack-busting leap.

He's started to get that dynamism back again, but his ability to get off the ground is nowhere near what it used to be. Simply put, fit Hawkins in 2013 - I think we at least beat Freo, I'm not sure that we win the flag.

Taylor was terrible tonight but Hawkins was great. And clearly Hawkins plays better when he has another key forward playing with him. Thought both Taylor and Hawkins did some nice things in the ruck. Kolo was better but hendo will come in soon.
Who’s spot does he take kolo or Taylor?
And who plays as second forward Taylor or Buzza?
Menzel will come in but that’s a different spot to me. Need to keep JJ in he provides the pressure our other smalls lack. I’ve never been sold on Taylor as a forward but there’s now too
many key defenders. I’d be looking at taking kolo and Murdoch out for hendo and Menzel. And if he gets fit then we need to find a spot for Cockatoo.

Would Hendo at least replace Henry?

Kolo saved himself tonight, did very well I thought.

Someone else can play that role. Preferrably someone who can actually mark the ball and not constantly slip over. Harry has been a great servant but the game is quickly passing him by. As a forward at least.

And just think of the cash you could make selling advertising space on her giant forehead.
And that person is sav who is injured. There is no one else. Also harry took a heap of marks last week. Had 5 set shots on goal.

And numerous gun geelong forwards have struggled on a slippy scg deck

Hell even ablett and brownless have struggled at that ground.

To dominate proceedings so compehensively and only secure the win in the last minute or so was hard to watch.
Great to get a win on the road and it keeps us in the finals picture.

Random thoughts:
- JSelwood was immense again
- The inclusion of SSelwood was significant, particularly at stoppages
- Duncan rarely plays a bad game
- Hawkins inaccuracy is worrying and he needs to sort it out pronto
- Tuohy and Stewart very solid down back
- For the love of god can we drop Murdoch; just screws up incessantly
- HarryT is all at sea and made Alir Alir look like a superstar
- Fwd pressure by our youngsters was excellent; special mention to JJ for the 11 tackles

25 tackles between Fogarty, Jones and Scooter (5, 11, 9). That's what we've been missing a lot of.

Dunno about the calls around Harry - yeah, he was pretty well beaten by Aliir up the ground, but he kicked 2.3 last week, and could have had 3 or so tonight (bit slippery).

He's important to structure and can still take a contested mark. If Buzza can't be 2nd tall for whatever reason, Taylor does the job pretty well.

If the other forwards were more accurate we'd have won by 6+ goals and Taylor wouldn't have rated a mention either way.

I'm really hoping that was a case of second-game-back syndrome for Taylor, because he looked shot and Aliir gave him an absolute bath.

Menzel in next week - is Taylor still needed? I'd be very reluctant to drop any of the small forwards on tonight's effort, but someone needs to come out for Menzel...

Murdoch perhaps, but we'd be losing a lot of speed with that change, and our dominance tonight stemmed largely from forward pressure. Murdoch wasn't great defensively (or offensively, for that matter) tonight, but he's usually better; and he's certainly better in that regard than Menzel!

Interesting.

25 tackles between Fogarty, Jones and Scooter (5, 11, 9). That's what we've been missing a lot of.

Dunno about the calls around Harry - yeah, he was pretty well beaten by Aliir up the ground, but he kicked 2.3 last week, and could have had 3 or so tonight (bit slippery).

He's important to structure and can still take a contested mark. If Buzza can't be 2nd tall for whatever reason, Taylor does the job pretty well.

If the other forwards were more accurate we'd have won by 6+ goals and Taylor wouldn't have rated a mention either way.
It was a wet game on a slow scg deck. Lets not go nuts about the tackles.

And just think of the cash you could make selling advertising space on her giant forehead.
Oh, I'm completely aware that it could possibly have several smaller foreheads orbiting it. If she and Dara O'Brian ever hooked up, they could give birth to a life-size bobble-head.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Against west coast Alir took 8 billion marks and constantly intercepted. Against us yeah he was decent but Taylor made him more then accountable. Harry needs to stay in. I am shocked that so many seem to want to drop him when he just played his second game back. Need him fit and firing for Richmond because someone needs to make Vlaustin accountable.

Really we shouldn't count out Harry yet.

Well, considering the issues we've had in that department and the fact this game showed what was possible with pressure, I think it's alright to highlight them as a positive?

Most definitely. Especially considering two of those players are ins for this week. Big shift in play around the ball and in the forward line.

And that person is sav who is injured. There is no one else. Also harry took a heap of marks last week. Had 5 set shots on goal.

Hell even ablett and brownless have struggled at that ground.

What are you talking about !!

I went to a Geel v Syd game at the SCG - Blight and Barassi were the coaches

Ablett kicked either 13 or 14 goals - and at one stage in the last qtr - it looked like he was going to break Fred Fannings record

To dominate proceedings so compehensively and only secure the win in the last minute or so was hard to watch.
Great to get a win on the road and it keeps us in the finals picture.

Random thoughts:
- JSelwood was immense again
- The inclusion of SSelwood was significant, particularly at stoppages
- Duncan rarely plays a bad game
- Hawkins inaccuracy is worrying and he needs to sort it out pronto
- Tuohy and Stewart very solid down back
- For the love of god can we drop Murdoch; just screws up incessantly
- HarryT is all at sea and made Alir Alir look like a superstar
- Fwd pressure by our youngsters was excellent; special mention to JJ for the 11 tackles

Tonight we the first time this season that Hawkins has kicked more behinds than goals - so his accuracy has been good this year.

But like most of his teammates he was off tonight

Oh, I'm completely aware that it could possibly have several smaller foreheads orbiting it. If she and Dara O'Brian ever hooked up, they could give birth to a life-size bobble-head.

tenor.gif

What are you talking about !!

I went to a Geel v Syd game at the SCG - Blight and Barassi were the coaches

Ablett kicked either 13 or 14 goals - and at one stage in the last qtr - it looked like he was going to break Fred Fannings record
Didn’t Ablett kick 14.9 at the SCG?

Edit: nah, 14.5.

A game where his effect on that game was a lot lower than his efforts previously.

You can get the pill, fine, how's his effectiveness though? Who was his opponent?

He has lowered his game a tad prior to injury, but as I said, here's hoping he gets that effectiveness back

I must concur with everyone who is confused about the game you were watching. Parfit is about as good as anyone we have in the team with the ball in his hands. His composure and ball use are his outstanding attributes

I can't believe how towards the end of the game the hope was that HT could just bring the ball to ground to prevent Aliir from marking in our own F50, Aliir really got the better of him tonight and was looking like he might well win the game for them.

Duncan is still our cleanest user of the ball, considering the 3 other stars in the midfield that's a credit to him.

Love Narkles game but just think there are times he could back himself in when inside 50 but he looks to give the ball off straight away, the confidence will come with more games though.

Against west coast Alir took 8 billion marks and constantly intercepted. Against us yeah he was decent but Taylor made him more then accountable. Harry needs to stay in. I am shocked that so many seem to want to drop him when he just played his second game back. Need him fit and firing for Richmond because someone needs to make Vlaustin accountable.

Really we shouldn't count out Harry yet.

I don't think it's a case of dropping him. I just dislike playing him forward, when he doesn't have any forward craft. Well yes he can mark the ball and kick it toward the goal. But his turning circle is bigger than the QE2 and are we robbing Peter to pay Paul?

Is he a better defender than Kolo or Henry? Then why play him forward?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back