Realistically what does Collingwood need to win a Grand Final?

Remove this Banner Ad

Okay I've let the dust settle a bit after that. I am so shattered as we should have bloody won that. However from my observations from the game here is what I've taken out of it.

Langdon was our B.O.G by a freaking mile.

Crisp needs some help with rebound from defence, I am hopeful that Murphy and Quaynor will provide it.

Howe and Goldsack aren't key defenders. We have Kelly coming in who should be decent but we need Dunn back and recruiting of Steven May is a MUST.

Keeping Moore is a must and I would play him forward ahead of Mihocek.

Another blistering quick mid would be handy. If Elliott can get fit we can move Stephenson up to a Wing. Elliott being fit would go a LONG way to us winning a flag.

Our midfield didnt stand up in the moment yesterday. I think it is time to hand the captaincy to Adams. Another preseason into Sier is critical. Treloar and Pendles werent 100%

If I was the umpire I would defend my non decision by stating Rioli was simply “”Holding his ground”.

Yeah except his hands were on Maynard whilst doing it.

And for those that aren’t already enraged as I am there were 2 Victorian umpires and 1 from WA. Which one do you think was adjudicating that contest that resulted in the match winning goal.

You already know...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Some luck wouldn’t go astray. I know these GFs are not related to previous ones but we always seem to find a way to fall short. Sneaking this one would’ve righted a lot of those lost opportunities but it’s just another chapter in losing one where we shouldn’t have. And I’m not suggesting it’s just players / coaches (in this instance crucial umpiring also cost and not just at the end) but there’s always something which seems to afflict us more than other teams. I know we appear on the right path but it’s small consolation right now no matter how proud we are and how valiant we were against the tide in that last quarter.

Decent umpiring in the last 2 1/2 minutes would be good.

119920e8ea96fe9b899201d723a26792.png

FYI 2 Victorian umpires and 1 from WA. Which one do you think was adjudicating that contest?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This blaming the umpires stuff is crazy.
We were outplayed.
You do know that at one stage Howe clearly dragged the ball in right in front of goals and should have been pinged for holding the ball.
The umpires cost WC a certain goal with that decision.

The better team won.
Deal with it people.

We were outplayed.
You do know that at one stage Howe clearly dragged the ball in right in front of goals and should have been pinged for holding the ball.

The better team won.
Deal with it people.
Yes,but you’re forgetting one important factor.The Maynard non decision happened before the Howe non decision.If the free kick to Maynard had been paid,as it should have,then the ball would have gone down the other end and the Howe incident would never have happened.It’s all about cause and effect..

a slice of luck would be nice. Couple of crucial umpire calls which always seem to go against us. The maynard block, all those soft ruck frees against Grundy when he was manhandled including that massive momentum changer when we were 2 goals up in the last. That finger tip goal review, the 2 umpire assisted goals in the last minute of the first even including one where it brushed there shin, the Cox kick in the last that dropped short and Mihochek claimed a mark ( to many hands in vicinity said umpire)
We had some luck it didn’t all go West Coasts way. They hit the post late on. Darling dropped his mark. Liam Ryan s**t himself at one point going for a mark. Etc etc

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We were outplayed.

The better team won.
Deal with it people.

As simple as that.

We won the first quarter.

It was an arm wrestle in the first half of the second quarter.

The Eagles gradually got on top in the next two and a half quarters.

Keep building the list with young talent, more development in the players we have, minimise injuries to our key players.
Tweak the game plan, and if can top up with the right free agents of trade for them.
We need to bring in talent, not average players or injury prone

1. Scott Pendlebury hands captaincy over to Taylor Adams.
2. We keep Moore and return him to CHF to play ahead of Mihocek. Mihocek is a depth KPF or KPD.
3. Need to bring in best 22 talent. Need a key backman if not May then Hombsch?
4. Invest much more money into player development and injury management and prevention. If we can get Elliott and Moore injury free the affect of that will be HUGE.
5. Make a play for a Gaff/Shiel type.
6. Sier needs to have another preseason in Thailand. If we can get his fitness up and gametime % he will be one of the best midfielders in the league soon.
7. Need massive preseasons out of Murphy and McLarty but especially Murphy I think there is a great player there just waiting to explode out in Murphy.
8. Draft decent KPD in Will Kelly and who looks like a running defender ready to be best 22 in Isaac Quaynor.
9. The players need to feel this hurt from missing out, because they need to desperately not want to let another opportunity slip if we make it there again because frankly they shat themselves on Saturday. The occasion got to them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back