Rolling Ashes Squad Thread, now featuring Haddin XII v Hick XII beginning p. 147

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Well that's the Summer done in terms of batting. So here are the stats http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...al1=span;team=2;template=results;type=batting

Short version: Head was by far our best bat this Summer. By far. The only others with really respectable numbers are Burns and Patterson who only played the 2 Tests against Sri Lanka. I think Head should be a lock for the first Test. Burns, Patterson, and Khawaja not quite locks but you'd maybe say the spots are theirs to lose.

Warner
Burns
Patterson
Smith
Head
Wade
Paine
Pattinson
Cummins
Hazelwood
Lyon

Patto sadly is a long way off being available for Test selection.

My team:

Warner
Burns/Harris
Khawaja
Smith
Head
Patterson
Paine
Cummins
Starc/Richardson
Lyon
Hazlewood

The second half of the shield season will be vital in locking down who gets the last couple of spots.

My team:

Warner
Burns/Harris
Khawaja
Smith
Head
Patterson
Paine
Cummins
Starc/Richardson
Lyon
Hazlewood

The second half of the shield season will be vital in locking down who gets the last couple of spots.

Sorry I realise many will disagree me especially Luke Parker but I think Glenn Maxwell has been harshly done by if he misses out on the Ashes series.Just looking at that team I would have him ahead of Patterson as a batsman,one of best the fieldsman in Australia and a handy spin bowler if required.The problem is we are all judging him on his last 6 months in cricket and I ask the question why.The only opportunity he has to push his claims for the ashes series is in T20 and 1 day cricket and surely he needs the opportrunity to play some shield games at least.

Pucovski is struggling with being away from home for a week, I would hardly be taking him away to another country for months.

And I don think Patterson is a lock, this hundred needs to be kept in context. If he doesn’t perform in the second half of the Shield season, I’d have no qualms in punting him for the time being. If he outperforms Khawaja, then he may hold his spot.

Patterson will not be a lock in the 11 due to the returnees, but he'll be in the squad.

Given today's sad news about Pucovski, it's important to reiterate that he was in no way mentally prepared to play Test cricket. Hopefully he's given time to get himself fully right before any more pressure is heaped upon him by the Aus selectors, the media and the fans.
Yeah na very stupid comment. Leave his medical team to make the decision. Just because his condition has changed doesn’t necessarily have anything to do with his inclusion in the test squad

if we go off the theory that you don't get dropped after making 100, and our 2 world class batsmen are automatic selections then the top 6 will be:

Warner
Burns
Khawaja
Smith
Head
Patterson

(all of who average 40+ - small sample size for some I know).

with Paine as (C), it basically leaves 3 spots for either a reserve keeper, batting allrounder types and back up batsmen.

s.marsh, m.marsh, handscomb, finch , (probably well behind the pack now) pucovoski, renshaw and stoinis have all played this summer or been in the squad.

harris, labuschagne , perhaps wade and Maxwell, Bancroft, carey are probably the only other candidates unless there's a bolter.

Making 100 and getting dropped is rare, and seemingly only happens after 6 months or so without a test.
* Gillespie didn't play another test after his 200
* Martin Love 2003 also didn't play another test after making 100.

with plenty of shield cricket and and A-tour anything could still happen.

Last edited:
if we go off the theory that you don't get dropped after making 100, and our 2 world class batsmen are automatic selections then the top 6 will be:

Warner
Burns
Khawaja
Smith
Head
Patterson
QUOTE]

If they went for this team I would actually move them around a bit

warner
Khawaja
Patterson
Smith
Head
Burns

I just do not like Burns opening in England...he nicks a lot to slip reckon his stroke play is suited to 5 or 6 in England

Patterson I believe has the technique to bat in the top 3 IMO. He looks like he is a calm character very Cook like...and bats up the order for NSW

Khawaja to open ...get him away from the spinner..he has a good record as opener

That top 6 would be the best we've had in a while in terms of their average in Tests as well:

Burns 40.10
Warner 48.18
Khawaja 42.53
Smith 61.37
Head 51
Patterson 145

Has the schedule for the "A" tour to England been announced? Is it going to be a decent tour or just that Australia v AustraliaA match?
If it is a proper tour it could feed into squad selection, if its just a one-off practice game its hard to think much could be read from it.

Has the schedule for the "A" tour to England been announced? Is it going to be a decent tour or just that Australia v AustraliaA match?
If it is a proper tour it could feed into squad selection, if its just a one-off practice game its hard to think much could be read from it.

I think it's a one off match as it was almost going to be a test match v. Ireland and was scrapped.

I hope smith and warner play for the "A" side, so that they can get game time against our best bowlers.

It would also perhaps mean, that 6 batsmen would be fighting for 4 positions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richardson just really seems like a smart bowler. If this is how good how bowls when he doesn't take wickets, he is an absolute superstar in the making. He's in my Ashes XI without a second thought.

Well that's the Summer done in terms of batting. So here are the stats http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...al1=span;team=2;template=results;type=batting

Short version: Head was by far our best bat this Summer. By far. The only others with really respectable numbers are Burns and Patterson who only played the 2 Tests against Sri Lanka. I think Head should be a lock for the first Test. Burns, Patterson, and Khawaja not quite locks but you'd maybe say the spots are theirs to lose.

Patto sadly is a long way off being available for Test selection.

Starc now back into my side instead of Patto.

If anything, the Sri Lanka series has just added to the confusion. How much weight can be put on success in those games? A bowling attack not fit for our conditions, all of the pacemen replaced by the second Test. Batsmen who can't handle pace, will pace alone be enough against England in England.

Its better than if everyone failed, but harder to make a call. And some will not get a First Class game before the First Test (maybe the Aus v AusA game, but I suspect that might not be FC as CA may well want to use more flexibility to ensure certain players get their time in the middle).

The XI to play in the first test is going to be bloody interesting.

You can make a case for just about every single one of them as well!

In my head there's currently 4 tiers.

1. Warner, Smith, Paine, Cummins & Lyon.
All of them are dead set locks and will start the series. In order to be competitive in the UK, we need them to fill the bulk of the side. They're as good if not better than anything the Poms can serve up.

2. Head, Khawaja, Starc & Hazlewood
Runs on the board, 'leaders', and the selectors like them. You'd think 3-4 of them would play.

3. Harris, Patterson, Burns, Labuschagne, Maxwell, Wade, Stoinis, Siddle, Richardson, Renshaw, Handscomb, S.Marsh, M. Marsh
Are they/aren't they good enough to be playing? Which ones can lift their games enough to end up in the first two categories?

Some of them will play, some won't. Everyone has their favourites from the list, but if you're being real with yourselves you can understand why yours might not be picked ahead of some of the others. NONE of them are a lock, but all of them are in with a chance.

4. Pucovski & Pattinson
Arguably talented enough to be in the top two tiers, but obviously come with MASSIVE risks. This might sound ridiculous, but Pucovski, if he plays and is well, could finish the series as our best performed batsmen. Pattinson, could be the best fast bowler on the planet if his body could hold up.

I can't imagine either will play, but you could easily make a case for them.

------------------

At this stage, I'd have my XI as the following (assuming a few things)

1. Renshaw
2. Warner
3. Khawaja
4. Smith
5. Head
6. Patterson
7. Paine
8. Cummins
9. Starc
10. Pattinson
11. Lyon

Renshaw: If he has a strong finish to the shield season, i'd just ****ing pick him. One of the only batsmen we have with the temperament to play the long game.

Khawaja: The hundred against SL gets him in. I'd back him in over the tier 3s.

Head: Best performed batsmen this summer by a mile. Should and will play.

Patterson: Plays the ball late which is helpful in the UK and again, has the temperament to play a long innings. I can envision a few late nights watching him and Paine carrying out a mini rebuild.

Starc: Not my favourite, but he's incredibly talented and there's a lot more to him than we saw this summer.

Pattinson: Controversial, but he's penciled in the 2019 Ashes for about 3 years now and he took a super cautious approach to the BBL to make sure he was ready for this upcoming series. He'll play Shield, and if he gets through that unscathed (I'm highly confident he will), he will play in the first test and dominate.
Every chance he'll go down half way through the first test, but I say go for glory and pick him.

My names Kenneje, and that's my hot take.

bowling stats for the summer please ?

cummins 28 @ 17.8
starc 25 @ 25.8
lyon 25 @ 32.6
hazlewood 13 @ 30.6

3 wins , 2 losses, 1 draw - if only Adelaide - would've been a good summer (even though thumped in melb and psychologically beat in Sydney).
Starc's 10 of 25 came in the 2nd test vs Sri Lanka with one of the worst batting displays seen on Australian soil for some time.

Good on him for getting 10 wickets, half of which he got from constantly bowling bouncers.

Before this last test match, his wickets and averages were very poor.

Starc's 10 of 25 came in the 2nd test vs Sri Lanka with one of the worst batting displays seen on Australian soil for some time.

10 of Cummins 28 came in the 1st Test vs Sri Lanka, also with one of the worst batting displays seen on Australian soil for some time.

I really dislike this practice of discounting a player's best performances to show why they aren't really all that good. It was bad when people were trying to do it with Pucovski and it's bad to be doing it with Starc now.

The XI to play in the first test is going to be bloody interesting.

You can make a case for just about every single one of them as well!

In my head there's currently 4 tiers.

1. Warner, Smith, Paine, Cummins & Lyon.
All of them are dead set locks and will start the series. In order to be competitive in the UK, we need them to fill the bulk of the side. They're as good if not better than anything the Poms can serve up.

2. Head, Khawaja, Starc & Hazlewood
Runs on the board, 'leaders', and the selectors like them. You'd think 3-4 of them would play.

3. Harris, Patterson, Burns, Labuschagne, Maxwell, Wade, Stoinis, Siddle, Richardson, Renshaw, Handscomb, S.Marsh, M. Marsh
Are they/aren't they good enough to be playing? Which ones can lift their games enough to end up in the first two categories?

Some of them will play, some won't. Everyone has their favourites from the list, but if you're being real with yourselves you can understand why yours might not be picked ahead of some of the others. NONE of them are a lock, but all of them are in with a chance.

4. Pucovski & Pattinson
Arguably talented enough to be in the top two tiers, but obviously come with MASSIVE risks. This might sound ridiculous, but Pucovski, if he plays and is well, could finish the series as our best performed batsmen. Pattinson, could be the best fast bowler on the planet if his body could hold up.

I can't imagine either will play, but you could easily make a case for them.

------------------

At this stage, I'd have my XI as the following (assuming a few things)

1. Renshaw
2. Warner
3. Khawaja
4. Smith
5. Head
6. Patterson
7. Paine
8. Cummins
9. Starc
10. Pattinson
11. Lyon

Renshaw: If he has a strong finish to the shield season, i'd just ******* pick him. One of the only batsmen we have with the temperament to play the long game.

Khawaja: The hundred against SL gets him in. I'd back him in over the tier 3s.

Head: Best performed batsmen this summer by a mile. Should and will play.

Patterson: Plays the ball late which is helpful in the UK and again, has the temperament to play a long innings. I can envision a few late nights watching him and Paine carrying out a mini rebuild.

Starc: Not my favourite, but he's incredibly talented and there's a lot more to him than we saw this summer.

Pattinson: Controversial, but he's penciled in the 2019 Ashes for about 3 years now and he took a super cautious approach to the BBL to make sure he was ready for this upcoming series. He'll play Shield, and if he gets through that unscathed (I'm highly confident he will), he will play in the first test and dominate.
Every chance he'll go down half way through the first test, but I say go for glory and pick him.

My names Kenneje, and that's my hot take.
I like your saxophone playing. As you were......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back