Preview Round 1 2019, Collingwood vs Geelong, Friday March 22nd 7:50pm

Who will win?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whilst their backline doesn't strike fear their mids look quality and the forward line looks a headach.

I don't really rate their forward line. 12 months ago the forward line you named would've been considered the worst in the league. Cox improved massively but he's still their only key forward and not one of the better ones in the league (only 25 goals last year). Elliott is quality but he's been out so long who knows whether he'll be as good. Stephenson and De Goey had massive breakout years but backing up from those is so often difficult. Varcoe and Thomas are just solid.

So yes it looks exciting but the only proven long term player is coming off years out injured. Basically it wouldn't surprise me at all of they struggle up forward this year. Of course of they're good enough in midfield that might not matter.

Still looks pretty formidable - from the Collingwood forum where apparently DeGoey is a DeGoer:

B. Langdon ~ Roughead ~ Maynard
HB. Howe ~ Moore ~ Crisp
C. Sidebottom ~ Beams ~ Phillips
HF. Stephenson ~ De Goey ~ Varcoe
F. Elliott ~ Cox ~ Thomas
R. Grundy ~ Pendlebury (c) ~ Treloar
I. Mihocek ~ Mayne ~ Sier ~ Aish

Whilst their backline doesn't strike fear their mids look quality and the forward line looks a headach. Grundy will win the hitouts with a solid group of mids so there's a chance we get pumped in centre clearances. If that happens with the new rules we could be in for another 1000 posts on the sack Scotty thread.

Agree with what you're saying. with a dominant ruck and elite midfield the new rules suit them.

Interesting to see if we pick all of blicavs/taylor/henderson/kolo if they were to line up like that in their forward line. Surely logic would say no, but you know that's unlikely.

I don't think Collingwood's team on paper is any better than ours, we both have our stars and we both have a lot of role players.

Why I think they made the GF last year and we finished 8th comes down to workrate and attitude; there's was as good as 2010 and ours was for the most part pathetic and the EF against Melbourne typified that.

I hope that Melbourne performance really embarrassed the club over the summer and that hurt drives them to perform better cause if it did then I think we can beat Collingwood.

I don't think Collingwood's team on paper is any better than ours, we both have our stars and we both have a lot of role players.

Why I think they made the GF last year and we finished 8th comes down to workrate and attitude; there's was as good as 2010 and ours was for the most part pathetic and the EF against Melbourne typified that.

I hope that Melbourne performance really embarrassed the club over the summer and that hurt drives them to perform better cause if it did then I think we can beat Collingwood.

Really well summed up. We can absolutely beat Collingwood and anyone for that matter, providing our work rate and attitude is first class. Collingwood's performance in the PF against the Tigers proved what can be achieved with hunger and the right attitude, as well as being really switched on..

Still looks pretty formidable - from the Collingwood forum where apparently DeGoey is a DeGoer:

B. Langdon ~ Roughead ~ Maynard
HB. Howe ~ Moore ~ Crisp
C. Sidebottom ~ Beams ~ Phillips
HF. Stephenson ~ De Goey ~ Varcoe
F. Elliott ~ Cox ~ Thomas
R. Grundy ~ Pendlebury (c) ~ Treloar
I. Mihocek ~ Mayne ~ Sier ~ Aish

Whilst their backline doesn't strike fear their mids look quality and the forward line looks a headach. Grundy will win the hitouts with a solid group of mids so there's a chance we get pumped in centre clearances. If that happens with the new rules we could be in for another 1000 posts on the sack Scotty thread.

Mihocek - their mature age recruit - built like a brick outhouse - he was one of the finds of the year - and a pretty important part of their forward line - i think your underselling him a bit - putting him on the interchange bench

I don't really rate their forward line. 12 months ago the forward line you named would've been considered the worst in the league. Cox improved massively but he's still their only key forward and not one of the better ones in the league (only 25 goals last year). Elliott is quality but he's been out so long who knows whether he'll be as good. Stephenson and De Goey had massive breakout years but backing up from those is so often difficult. Varcoe and Thomas are just solid.

So yes it looks exciting but the only proven long term player is coming off years out injured. Basically it wouldn't surprise me at all of they struggle up forward this year. Of course of they're good enough in midfield that might not matter.

I guess when i say their forwards look like a headache I'm really thinking of their smalls plus cox in a 6-6-6 world. With the changes I would expect good midfields to make bad forward lines look better. It's not a life threatening medical condition but still a headache.

Mihocek - their mature age recruit - built like a brick outhouse - he was one of the finds of the year - and a pretty important part of their forward line - i think your underselling him a bit - putting him on the interchange bench

Wouldn't argue with that. The rd1 22 listed was copy pasted from the Collingwood board. Not my intellectual property

Last edited:
Looking forward to seeing how the Pies go later today, I think some of us over-state the importance of the 6-6-6 rule however of all the teams I'd say the pies would be most suited for the reasons already given.
In saying that I like our backline against their forwardline (although without Tuohy and Bews, less so) and think we could be well matched against them.
I think we'll win, at this early stage, and will start the year strongly.

I am so pumped for this game. I think we'll go down by two or three goals, but I suspect we'll play pretty well and there will be a few positives to take out of the match.

I am quite positive about the year ahead. I do think Rohan and Dahlhaus will be decent recruits. They'll be revitalised playing in the hoops and as a direct result, will revitalise the functionality of the forward line.

We've got a tough draw in the first few rounds. I can't see us getting past the Crows over there, either. However a good showing in round one will be a positive sign of good things to come. If the boys can take the win, even better!

We'll go deep into the finals this year, I can feel it in my bones! :D

I guess we should all say hello to A Cut Above given he can’t stay away from here long enough to not vote we’ll lose.

Got your September holiday booked yet Bosk?
Its not even RD 1 and you are tagging a know GFC s**t stirrer into this thread.

I should card you just for being stupid.

Go Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who's Chook related to? Mate says its Ken Judge, but Im sure its someone else well known.

Thanks, and may Constable run a muck in rd1.
Mick Malthouse's nephew.

GO Catters

Mick Malthouse's nephew.

GO Catters
Ratagulea (however it's spelt) could be the difference. Can take a contested mark, and ankle is holding up, so far. I like O'Connor too, with his run from defense.

Am a little loaded after watching Pies crawl over Carltank, so don't want to sound like a tool, but feel Grundy > Beams> Sidey will win it for the mighty PIES. Usually a close and good game. Can't wait for the proper stuff.

Thanks for replying. I've already lost that bet as I said Chook was related to a Champion. My alcohol affected knowlwdge.

Ratagulea (however it's spelt) could be the difference. Can take a contested mark, and ankle is holding up, so far. I like O'Connor too, with his run from defense.

Am a little loaded after watching Pies crawl over Carltank, so don't want to sound like a tool, but feel Grundy > Beams> Sidey will win it for the mighty PIES. Usually a close and good game. Can't wait for the proper stuff.

Thanks for replying. I've already lost that bet as I said Chook was related to a Champion. My alcohol affected knowlwdge.
Loaded on a monday arvo? Let's swap lives for a while. ;)

I'd prefer Zuthrie over both O'connor and Clark for round 1. He looked good in the JLT I thought.
Did you see the 720deg spin he went into from the wind off a player running past him Thursday night,still need development in my book. 1552291307918.png

Last edited:
Did you see the 720deg spin he went into from the wind off a player running past him Thursday night,still need development in my book.
That was from someone breaking wind on the interchange.

Did you see the 720deg spin he went into from the wind off a player running past him Thursday night,still need development in my book.
Haha, I did see that. I pissed myself lol! I still think that he's played quite well though.

Haha, I did see that. I pissed myself lol! I still think that he's played quite well though.

Agree - I thought Zuthrie seemed to have that confidence back again , did some nice things but is still sub par in the one on ones and probably will continue to be for a few more years.
I'd play Clark ahead of him though , gives us better rebounding and is a beautiful kick and he's quite a tough kid for 18. Got a couple kicked on him V Bombers but I liked the way he matched Fantasia for pace a few times.
Pies smalls kicked all their goals today so we must ensure we're onto that :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back