Player Watch Chayce Jones - Re-Signed to End of 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Douglas will last the whole season?

Jones is a kid still. We should get 10 games into him at least, but I think he'd be cooked at season end if we try to play him every game.
I actually see Jones having similar potential to say someone like Milera. Milera excited me in his first few AFL games, and i was an early fan from those first few games. I can see Jones having some sort of similar output to Milera in his first season.

Though I think we should be reminded that Milera ran out of gas in his first season later on and form was up and down for the next season. Jones is in danger of following this path if we’re chucking him in too early and throwing too much responsibilities at him as we would of someone who is playing out a full season.

We were ruthless with Thommo?
How? We played him when he was a liability because he couldn’t run, then we give him another year to play one game and that one game he had 6 touches. He should never have had that last year.

Mackay is a given, he’s not even in the frame.

Douglas is a good bumper? Seriously? You’re keeping him for that?

More versatile? Murphy and Jones can both play midfield and back.

Barometer to aspire to? They already have past him. The only reason Douglas gets a game is because he’s a senior player.
I’d say ruthless with Thommo in his last year due to the fact he was regularly getting 30+ possessions and not getting picked all year. The one and only time he was selected for AFL duty was in a rain-soaked, lake-like setting where hardly anyone was looking clean. It was also a game where a lot of injuries could be had and more bad could come out of it than good for younger bodies.

Reading the above paragraph, do you honestly think the club was thinking in Thommo’s best interest in his last year?

If we do pick Douglas, then I'd prefer Jones over Murphy. More pace and class wins out.

I want to see McHenry and Stengle sooner rather than later too.

Its probably one of the best years to bring young guys into a side.
There's no big names coming out of contract creating distractions.
Healthy and deep midfield with plenty of inside grunt means outside roles with low minutes and lower amount of imapcts for draftees
6 6 6 making it more open so less crash and bash and more opportunity to spread and use speed

Young quick guys running down opposition brings a lot of enthusiasm to the older guys and shouldn't be underestimated.

Or on the other hand can you let us know of Jones skill set over a AFL B and F winner of 200 plus games at AFL level
I have already. His attributes to play the small forward defensive role are speed, defensive pressure, tackling and he has footy smarts and good disposal.

So now on to Douglas to play this role or are you happy just to be competitive?

Douglas will last the whole season?

Jones is a kid still. We should get 10 games into him at least, but I think he'd be cooked at season end if we try to play him every game.

We’ve got other new recruits who also can play the same role, trying to turn a senior player into something he isn’t is pointless.

I’d say ruthless with Thommo in his last year due to the fact he was regularly getting 30+ possessions and not getting picked all year. The one and only time he was selected for AFL duty was in a rain-soaked, lake-like setting where hardly anyone was looking clean. It was also a game where a lot of injuries could be had and more bad could come out of it than good for younger bodies.

Reading the above paragraph, do you honestly think the club was thinking in Thommo’s best interest in his last year?

There is a lot of words you could use for how we treated Thommos, ruthless however is not one of them.

We extracted every drop we could then gave him another year. Ruthless sees Thommo retired 2015, acceptable would be 2016.

Douglas doesn’t give us more in the role that he’s playing, you saw that on the weekend. For speed, defensive forward line pressure and tackling, Jones has it all, Douglas has very little of it.
With a full compliment of mids Dougie is not really needed either.

Gibbs and B Crouch play the attacking mid roles.
M Crouch and Greenwood the inside guys.
Atkins the pure outside mid
Sloaney the hybrid.

Plus Milera as part of the midfield rotation.

It is a well balanced midfield. I dont really see Dougie as best 22 anymore when you look at the make up of our midfield now.

Dougie is not better than any of these options. And I would suggest CEY in for Greenwood (if not ready) in that inside/forward role ahead of Dougie for team balance.

Take Dougie out of the middle and have Jones in the forward line. He, Knights and Eddie is a great trio for defensive pressure and goal scoring.

The bigger threat to Jones playing is Gooch.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Take Dougie out of the middle and have Jones in the forward line. He, Knights and Eddie is a great trio for defensive pressure and goal scoring.

The bigger threat to Jones playing is Gooch.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
If those 3 fall over Gooch, Stengle, McAdam, McHenry are serious options.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Crikey, giving a guy an extra year isn’t ruthless, picking him would have just been dumb and thankfully the selectors got that right.

We’ve got other new recruits who also can play the same role, trying to turn a senior player into something he isn’t is pointless.
So now there are multiple players better than Douglas? Why don't you start a Douglas related thread and bang on about it in there and leave this thread to be a positive thread about Jones?

So now there are multiple players better than Douglas? Why don't you start a Douglas related thread and bang on about it in there and leave this thread to be a positive thread about Jones?
I have been positive about Jones, others are building the case for Douglas to be ahead of him.

As for others better than Douglas, if we haven’t recruited McAdam, Stengle and NED to be better than Douglas as a small forward then why did we draft them? NED I understand will end up a mid but he’s a first round draft pick who can play the small forward.

Some just love holding on to senior players who are past it, but that doesn’t help us win premierships.

I'm not quite at the stage of melting if Dougie is selected in the round 1 team just yet. Obviously if the choice is Chayce or Dougie I would prefer Chayce. I'm more worried about our R22 side than our side for Round 1.

There is a lot of words you could use for how we treated Thommos, ruthless however is not one of them.

We extracted every drop we could then gave him another year. Ruthless sees Thommo retired 2015, acceptable would be 2016.
The context was that EC was saying Thommo should have been given the ruthless treatment. I was just saying the point he wasn’t exactly given the easy treatment in 2017. 1 game on a scrappy wet day isn’t exactly welcoming selection.
Also he was kept on to help out the youngsters, particularly players from the SANFL. This was the obvious direction the club went with him prior to his 2017 contract extension.
Crikey, giving a guy an extra year isn’t ruthless, picking him would have just been dumb and thankfully the selectors got that right.
Thommo was getting regular 30+ possessions in SANFL in 2017. This suggested he still was capable of playing good footy, but his ongoing AFL selection back in 2016 was that we didn’t have a proper replacement for him at the time. MCrouch stepping up and the improvements in Greenwood allowed us to be more confident in demoting Thommo in 2017.

I'm not quite at the stage of melting if Dougie is selected in the round 1 team just yet. Obviously if the choice is Chayce or Dougie I would prefer Chayce. I'm more worried about our R22 side than our side for Round 1.
That's my position really. If he's in R1 then fine, but it shouldn't take more than 2 or 3 weeks of very good SANFL form by Ned or Jones in particular to displace him.

I don’t think anyone is saying Jones does not deserve games this year. He is clearly a high end talent and definitely needs early games to quicken his development.
The issue though is that the arguments are revolving around the 18th-22nd best players and are seen by some to be not worth pursuing and to allow the young talents to take over.
After a first AFL season, young bodies usually fizzle out and decline in the latter end of the season, and very rarely do consistent improvements throughout their first season.

The question is: should a mature player (eg. Dougy) make way for a young player (eg. Jones) to develop an entire season?
Would we project a young talent (eg. Jones) to surpass a proven talent (eg. Dougy) by season’s end?

That's my position really. If he's in R1 then fine, but it shouldn't take more than 2 or 3 weeks of very good SANFL form by Ned or Jones in particular to displace him.

That's not how the AFC rolls though. We all know the senior players get more chances to turn their form around. Likewise Mackay will either be selected or will be first in if there's an injury or suspension.

That's not how the AFC rolls though. We all know the senior players get more chances to turn their form around. Likewise Mackay will either be selected or will be first in if there's an injury or suspension.
I highly doubt that, DMac is a fair way back in the pack.

Douglas might make the team... maybe.

I have already. His attributes to play the small forward defensive role are speed, defensive pressure, tackling and he has footy smarts and good disposal.

So now on to Douglas to play this role or are you happy just to be competitive?

At U/18 level

I think we know if youre capable of winning an AFL clubs B and F you may have some serious skill about you

I have been positive about Jones, others are building the case for Douglas to be ahead of him.

As for others better than Douglas, if we haven’t recruited McAdam, Stengle and NED to be better than Douglas as a small forward then why did we draft them? NED I understand will end up a mid but he’s a first round draft pick who can play the small forward.

Some just love holding on to senior players who are past it, but that doesn’t help us win premierships.

I agree with that comment about Stengle and Mcadam, they may knock Douglas out, but Jones or NED its their first year on a list, we have Pohlkoke, Galluci, Stengle, CEY they have been on lists for years if they cant force their way into the team they should never be on a list and move them on

I don’t think anyone is saying Jones does not deserve games this year. He is clearly a high end talent and definitely needs early games to quicken his development.
The issue though is that the arguments are revolving around the 18th-22nd best players and are seen by some to be not worth pursuing and to allow the young talents to take over.
After a first AFL season, young bodies usually fizzle out and decline in the latter end of the season, and very rarely do consistent improvements throughout their first season.

The question is: should a mature player (eg. Dougy) make way for a young player (eg. Jones) to develop an entire season?
Would we project a young talent (eg. Jones) to surpass a proven talent (eg. Dougy) by season’s end?

Your question about Dougy is warranted are we a strong chance at the flag, if so will he contribute more to the team than a 1st year player in Jones come GF, logic would say he will

If we want to develop Jones he will no doubt get an opportunity when injuries hit and we will get injuries throughout the year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back