Player Watch Chayce Jones - Re-Signed to End of 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

I've never really been one for specific roles among the many midfielder types that are spread across the field. Outside of Ruck, genuine KPDs and mabye a get-out contested marking KPF, most players are midfielders in nature. If we need a wingman because Seed is down and it's a choice between Dougie and Mackay, I choose Dougie to get a game and work the rest out later. Not many years ago, against Brisbane, I saw Lyons line up on a wing while Dmac was a centre square mid. I'd see Dougie rolling through a forward line, midfield and backline rotation all in the same game. As long as his form warrants it though. As long as we don't hear the words, "brings experience", "continuity", "flexibility" or "non-statistical" in the context of why he's getting a game, I'll be happy.
I just don’t see Douglas getting meaningful midfield minutes to warrant his place up forward

Imagine Jones with 3-4 preseasons of weight training.. could be a super player with the athletic gifts he already possesses and Adelaide development program.
Mind you it will be interesting to see who ends up a better player between him and Butters. Think Port have a good one.
Butters looks like the steal of the draft at this stage. Immense skills and footy smarts

Butters looks like the steal of the draft at this stage. Immense skills and footy smarts

Luckily for us, that is not a good club to be at if you want to see fulfilled potential.

I am always hesitant to judge players based on JLT form. Jack Watts is a regular JLT All Australian.

My enthusiasm for Chayce is based on snippets of what he might offer. In the under 23 game I was surprised by his composure under pressure and his decision making. It reminded me of Scott Pendlebury as he took his time to select the best option and he usually hit his target. He is very quick, more Andrew McLeod quick than Charlie Cameron quick. You don’t immediately notice his speed but he just gets to the ball quicker than the players around him.

Should Chayce play on the wing against Hawthorn? We have been very reluctant to use inexperienced players on the wing in recent years. Players have to be very disciplined to move to the right spots when playing on the wing in the way Don likes. They also have to have good disposals skills.

If Chayce plays meaningful minutes on the wing against the Hawks it will say a lot. The easy answer is to move Smith, Milera, Douglas or Gibbs to the wing or to bring in Mackay.

All I am saying is give Chayce a Chance.

Last edited:
I am always hesitant to judge players based on JLT form. Jack Watts is a regular JLT All Australian.

My enthusiasm for Chayce is based on snippets of what he might offer. In the under 23 game I was surprised by his composure under pressure and his decision making. It reminded me of Scott Pendlebury as he took his time to select the best option and he usually hit his target. He is very quick, more Andrew McLeod quick than Charlie Cameron quick. You don’t immediately notice his speed but he just gets to the ball quicker than the players around him.

Should Chayce play on the wing against Hawthorn? We have been very reluctant to use inexperienced players on the wing in recent years. Players have to be very disciplined to move to the right spots when playing on the wing in the way Don likes. They also have to have good disposals skills.

If Chayce plays meaningful minutes on the wing against the Hawks it will say a lot. The easy answer is to move Smith, Milera, Douglas or Gibbs to the wing or to bring in Mackay.

#giveChayceAChaynce

He was actually very underwhelming in the u23 game. Was not making good decisions at all. Maybe you're talking about his last game, which was chalk and cheese.

He was actually very underwhelming in the u23 game. Was not making good decisions at all. Maybe you're talking about his last game, which was chalk and cheese.

I was going to say the same thing. In the U23 game he looked like he was chaging his mind and second guessing his options on numerous occasions and got caught htb a couple times. I was already ready to write him off for 2019 and give him a couple quality years in the SANFL to bulk up and develop his decision making. He looked completely different in JLT, clean and precise, possibly due to the better structures and quality players around him directing him better. Now I want him in the best 22 for his speed and tackling pressure.

I was going to say the same thing. In the U23 game he looked like he was chaging his mind and second guessing his options on numerous occasions and got caught htb a couple times. I was already ready to write him off for 2019 and give him a couple quality years in the SANFL to bulk up and develop his decision making. He looked completely different in JLT, clean and precise, possibly due to the better structures and quality players around him directing him better. Now I want him in the best 22 for his speed and tackling pressure.
Yeah I felt the same about Jones after that u23 game. A bit of a "deer in headlights" feel.aboit him.

BUT he has improved each game since and that has gone.

He should play round 1.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Pretty sure with his first 4 kicks of the game he nailed some absolute beauties, a couple on his left too, with very little space to work with. After those short passages he struggled to get involved yes, but was spending a lot of time forward of centre.

He will be fine.

Pretty sure with his first 4 kicks of the game he nailed some absolute beauties, a couple on his left too, with very little space to work with. After those short passages he struggled to get involved yes, but was spending a lot of time forward of centre.

He will be fine.
Was that before or after he took on the man on the mark twice and got pinned holding the ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was that before or after he took on the man on the mark twice and got pinned holding the ball.

Stuff like that is an extremely easy fix. He's quick and aggressive, so I'd expect the coaches to have given him the license to take the game. He got pinged a few times as he adjusted, so what.

The fact that he can actually kick a football of both feet, and pick out the right targets under pressure is the big thing for me. The other stuff is easily fixable in comparison.

Last edited:

Nothing wrong with that from a kid. Shows they have the confidence to use their tools.

Stuff like that is very an extremely fix. He's quick and aggressive, so I'd expect the coaches to have given him the license to take the game. He got pinged a few times as he adjusted, so what.

The fact that he can actually kick a football of both feet, and pick out the right targets under pressure is the big thing for me. The other stuff is easily fixable in comparison.

Milera was the same in his first few games.

Smith still does it from time to time ;)

Milera was the same in his first few games.

Smith still does it from time to time ;)

Well if you take the game on more often than not, you're going to get caught from time to time. Playing it safe constantly will only get you so far.

I wouldnt want his attacking nature to be coached out of him, purely cos of a few HTBs. He will adjust to the pace of the game and learn in due course.

Well if you take the game on more often than not, you're going to get caught from time to time. Playing it safe constantly will only get you so far.

I wouldnt want his attacking nature to be coached out of him, purely cos of a few HTBs. He will adjust to the pace of the game and learn in due course.

Agree 100% mate.

Easiest way not to ever get caught is to take the safe option; sideways, backwards, etc.

That isn't what we want/need from our HBF/Wings, so if it means they get caught every now and again trying to do too much, so be it.

As I said, Milera is the best example.

Interesting that pre-draft his kicking was the one thing that was knocked by a few of the more reputable phantom drafters (thinking Knightmare specifically), but by all reports coming out of the club from his team mates and coaches (and from what little I've seen of him so far), he seems a beautiful kick. Really balanced, good technique off both feet, and has demonstrated good decision making (albeit from a very small sample size).

Last edited:

Better off being caught holding the ball than turning it over too.

I was at the game. Chayce initially make a couple of mistakes including taking on the man on the mark. once he settled down he showed plenty of class. Let’s agree to disagree.

I don’t look at stats when assessing Kids, I look at how they react at key moments. After the under 23 trial, despite the Stengle and McAdam goals and the excitement of Ned (who will play AFL in the near future) I suggested that Murphy and Chayce were the most likely to play round one. I am pretty happy with my call.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back