Preview Round 1, 2019: St.Kilda v Gold Coast - Marvel Stadium, Sunday 24th March, 1:10PM AEDT *Parker, Wilkie & Kent Debut*

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 74 83.1%
  • Suns

Votes: 15 16.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rather Clark in the VFL then playing HB or HF, develop his midfield abilities rather than having stints in the middle in the firsts.

He'll eventually replace Dunstan in few weeks, let's be honest now.

If Bruce rucks, our only option is Membrey. WTF. Parker is 188, he essentially qualifies for that 3rd tall? So we have like 2 mid sized targets upfront which I dont like.

Watching Geelong win with great forward half pressure maybe we have got the right team. And I tipped the Cats! Don't like either of them, but hate Collingwood more....

But our smaller pressure men Lonie, Parker, Kent, Gresham, Long hunting both the ball and the man....could be good!!

Only thing is that Geelong have plenty of established stars to support that pressure with class and smarts. Hopefully some develop those for us!

Can’t change it now
So Witts is a gun how many marks does he take ........answer not many
So Witts is mobile quick and kicks goals he doesn’t .

Really bugs me Rowan Marshall is as tall as Brodie Grundy , who is the prototype ruckman.

Poor decision by selection regardless of result we have 3 small forwards and 5 half back flankers in that team.

Annoyed me constantly last year you pick a team that covers all contingencies , so Pierce gets a knock
or a corkie , we then ruck our only effective tall forward.

Please don’t say Membrey is a tall he ain’t unless he grows 6cm by Sunday.

Witts is a mature ruckman and a true ruck man. Marshall is a bits and pieces forward ruck. Witts is their captain or vice captain now, he's not a bad player and smashing the s**t out of Rowan isn't going to fast track him. I rate Marshall but he's not ready for a full time ruck role, height isn't everything.

I’m disappointed that big RoMa isn’t playing. Feel we need the other tall forward & decent 2nd ruck option.

For years, our forward line has worked best with 2 talls, Membrey & 3 smalls. We go into this game with 1 tall, Membrey, 4 smalls & no back up ruckman.

Witts & 2MP will have a field day against our backup ruckman - Wilkie probably. They’ll probably throw Bruce in there at some point too so then we’ll have no tall forward up front.

This game will be very very interesting indeed

Witts is a mature ruckman and a true ruck man. Marshall is a bits and pieces forward ruck. Witts is their captain or vice captain now, he's not a bad player and smashing the s**t out of Rowan isn't going to fast track him. I rate Marshall but he's not ready for a full time ruck role, height isn't everything.

Greatest respect Witts asset is his height .
I repeat Marshall is the same height & weight of Grundy .

We are the only team going into the game with 1 tall forward ..

So every slow play down the line we have no one to kick to other than Bruce , Dew will be wetting himself.

Feel like hind gave us a bit of a pod. Electric pace and good ball use something we have lacked badly especially last year. He sat out pretty much the entire second half of JLT 2. Must not have the tank?
Think this is right. Bigger tanks and harder bodies. Phillips has about the biggest tank. Maybe not hard bodied enough!? I know, I know....Richo's old 'Hard in the contest'..... Reckon Hind will play down the track.

I’m disappointed that big RoMa isn’t playing. Feel we need the other tall forward & decent 2nd ruck option.

For years, our forward line has worked best with 2 talls, Membrey & 3 smalls. We go into this game with 1 tall, Membrey, 4 smalls & no back up ruckman.

Witts & 2MP will have a field day against our backup ruckman - Wilkie probably. They’ll probably throw Bruce in there at some point too so then we’ll have no tall forward up front.

This game will be very very interesting indeed

If we get rolled supporters will come hard have little doubt .

A new season is about to kick off. Much to look forward to.

For a minute there I thought that's what being a footy fan was all about.

Instead we have the same old miserable sods bringing down what should be an exciting time.

I genuinely feel sad for some of you if that's all you have to look forward to in life. Very sad.

A new season is about to kick off. Much to look forward to.

For a minute there I thought that's what being a footy fan was all about.

Instead we have the same old miserable sods bringing down what should be an exciting time.

I genuinely feel sad for some of you if that's all you have to look forward to in life. Very sad.
I'm excited!! Reckon we'll go ok....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just got to enjoy the ride, for better or worse.
Been saddling up each and every year since I reckon 1963.... Getting towards 60 years. Bloody heck. Anyway...love the Saints. Hungry for some success again.

Sandy’s lineup has Coff in the centre and Marshall as the ruck, so there ya go, your wish has been granted.

St Kilda and proud.
Coffield playing in a position he is made for , thank god they don't pigeon hole the guy in the backline , same as Hunter , class players need to play in the best suited position.
Having these kids develop in the midfield is the only way.

I’m not disagreeing that players especially young ones have ups and downs , how does that defeat any of myarguemrnts. Jack newnes and Mav Weller had Ups and downs and were still picked each week. However it seems there have been countless occasions where players have been dropped whilst other lesser players with lesser performances have kept there spot
Not anymore , we have depth , last year we had no depth.

Part of the trade brilliance is spunking part of the mandatory cap on him rather than over paying our list causing subsequent inflated contract demands down the line. The trade is a list management win regardless of whether or not he plays a single game.

The 95% floor makes it pretty difficult for lower teams to only give out good contracts,

Never thought about trading in a guy and overpaying to keep available cap limited enough to only allow provision of value contracts to other players.

Interesting concept

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I like the team tbh. Only change I’d make is Hunter for Sinclair. I like sincs, but I think Hunter needs to be playing every week and wing is the place for him at this stage. Would need to spend time on a flank as he won’t have the tank yet, but it’s whats best for his development in my eyes.

Coff should be at Sandy playing on ball. He’ll get stuff all time onball at afl level I recon, so best to have him do it in the twos. Would like to see him on a wing at afl level at some point this year though, I think that’s where he’ll play a lot of footy long term.

I’m one who would prefer Marshal rucking, but I’ve seen stuff all of pierce so will hold onto my judgment.

In my eyes, if Marshal isn’t rucking for st kilda he should ruck at Sandy. That’s the possition he has the most potential to become elite so that’s where he should be playing.
Not the team I would choose, but what do I know? I can understand that Clark and Coff will improve fitness and develop better with full games at Sandy, that Acres may need another week for conditioning, that Wilkie fills the specific hole we have better than Marshall.

The really positive thing is that it is different. They are trying something different, finally, addressing a key criticism from many last year. One ruck when many are trying two; smaller, faster forward line; more 'in between' backs to be relied on for covering key talls; more pace; more flexibility. Different is good, the selection committee are best placed to decide what kind of different might work, Sunday 4pm is the best time to evaluate their strategy. The fact that it is different from what I wanted doesn't disappoint me, if anything it just gives me more hope.

I am more interested in next week's selection. Is this week's team representative of a set game plan/philosophy for the year? Or is it a fit-for-purpose team that will adapt week-by-week to reveal a new flexibility and tactical nous driven by the contribution from new coaches (Ratten, Lade) and new nerd stats boy DOS, delivering that holy grail of a plan B that we have been praying for (and no, throwing Carlisle forward in the last quarter doesn't count). Is Longer our no1 or just the best match-up for Witts? Is pace a constant priority or just against certain teams? With Brown, Marshall, potentially McCartin and, in time, King available, will the number of tall backs/forwards in the 22 be fluid or will we have a static team balance at selection?

Interesting times. Thank the lord football is back. Let's hope this year we will last more than 2 weeks before the season is over. Either way, go saints!

Cleaned up the thread. Moved 155 Richo posts to the Richo thread.

I am fault here too and apologise. Hard to back out of a conversation even if it's derailing a thread sometimes.

Lets keep it focused on the game on Sunday and any coaching and/or list management talk please take to another thread.

Thanks everyone :thumbsu:

The 95% floor makes it pretty difficult for lower teams to only give out good contracts,

Never thought about trading in a guy and overpaying to keep available cap limited enough to only allow provision of value contracts to other players.

Interesting concept

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Feel like hind gave us a bit of a pod. Electric pace and good ball use something we have lacked badly especially last year. He sat out pretty much the entire second half of JLT 2. Must not have the tank?
I thought I heard Hind, like Wilkie, played a half with Sandy the same weekend.

Not the team I would choose, but what do I know? I can understand that Clark and Coff will improve fitness and develop better with full games at Sandy, that Acres may need another week for conditioning, that Wilkie fills the specific hole we have better than Marshall.

The really positive thing is that it is different. They are trying something different, finally, addressing a key criticism from many last year. One ruck when many are trying two; smaller, faster forward line; more 'in between' backs to be relied on for covering key talls; more pace; more flexibility. Different is good, the selection committee are best placed to decide what kind of different might work, Sunday 4pm is the best time to evaluate their strategy. The fact that it is different from what I wanted doesn't disappoint me, if anything it just gives me more hope.

I am more interested in next week's selection. Is this week's team representative of a set game plan/philosophy for the year? Or is it a fit-for-purpose team that will adapt week-by-week to reveal a new flexibility and tactical nous driven by the contribution from new coaches (Ratten, Lade) and new nerd stats boy DOS, delivering that holy grail of a plan B that we have been praying for (and no, throwing Carlisle forward in the last quarter doesn't count). Is Longer our no1 or just the best match-up for Witts? Is pace a constant priority or just against certain teams? With Brown, Marshall, potentially McCartin and, in time, King available, will the number of tall backs/forwards in the 22 be fluid or will we have a static team balance at selection?

Interesting times. Thank the lord football is back. Let's hope this year we will last more than 2 weeks before the season is over. Either way, go saints!
Excellent post. After the game on Sunday will be the best time to evaluate. And it will be interesting to see our selections going forward. Think it more and more tactical....horses for courses. We'll soon see.

Reckon we are looking to overrun the Suns. They have skill and pace....we saw that last year. If we are way fitter then we should run over the top of them. And perhaps have a touch more experience.

Anyway, as you say, interesting times ahead.

Our season is already in the shitter through bad luck mostly but the team selection for R1 is a joke. When I saw both Pierce and Marshall in the initial squad my heart sank because I knew Pierce would get the nod ahead of Marshall. Pierce is a severely limited plodder. Marshall may not have shown a lot to date but he has significantly more up side than Pierce. He must be getting games into him.
Furthermore Clark and Coffield simply must be played, no ifs and buts.
Even if we win, so what. Virtually nothing will have been achieved as far as the long term development of this team.
This selection policy may well turn out to be the beginning of the end for Richardson.
I don't get how people can't see this!? This whole so and so isn't ready business is rubbish! Blind Freddy can see Hunters talent... successful sides blood kids like him all the time when they are not 'ready'. If he was a mile off it and was going to look stupid out there it would make sense... but that is not the case!
It is the best way for him to learn! From the best in the business! It's not hard to show faith in these kids and the rewards are going to be more offen than not great.
The other arguement I've seen plenty of since selection is the 'match up' 'horses for courses one' surely that cannot be serious... a side in our situation main focus has to be development. We are not going to win the flag. Building a 22 to compete for a flag is the only way to go.
We are at the back of the pack and don't understand how to bridge the gap.
Everyone keeps saying have faith and trust selection... faith and trust doesn't build success. Hard choices and smart decisions do.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back