Traded Ed Langdon [traded with #26 and 2020 4th to Melbourne for #22, #79 and 2020 2nd]

Remove this Banner Ad

Maynard should be that outside runner ala a Ben Johnson-type utility who covers the ground. He dares to take the game on and he's become a beautiful kick of the footy. He's built his tank and become a reliable defender but he has untapped potential as a line-breaking mid.
Now's a good time to throw him into the mix along with a chunk more midfield time for JDG.

what's he worth? probably somewhere between our second round pick (circa pick 20) and our third rounder (pick 40 odd)?

given that melksham and hibberd cost around pick 30 that would seem to be about the right 'go' for langdon

what's he worth? probably somewhere between our second round pick (circa pick 20) and our third rounder (pick 40 odd)?

given that melksham and hibberd cost around pick 30 that would seem to be about the right 'go' for langdon

Yeah I'd be fine with that, he's a s**t kick but the pace he offers makes him a 2nd rounder.

Angus over to Perth to reunite with Andy and Hamish

Our second (20ish) for Landon and Dockers' third (45ish). They can have our fourth if they want but don't think that makes much difference.

The Dees 2nd rounder would look pretty attractive this year with the number of local boys likely to be in and around that mark - Sharp, Jackson, Taylor.

I don't think we'd be looking at trading back, however he's uncontracted and the 2nd rounder might just come into calculation if we look to leverage any other moves.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Melbourne's second isn't great value for us given Henry's likely bid range. After about pick 12ish the club would prioritise points from multiple 3rds. I like Angus but the concussion problem is too big a risk especially after the Bennell and Hogan trades. My ideal for a trade with Melbourne would have then trade a future 1st and this years 3rd for Langdon and future second. I don't think they'll be missing finals 2 years in a row

Melbourne getting in shafted in that scenario, unless it was something like:

Landon + 26 <---> Brayshaw + 38
I know Brayshaw hasnt had a great year but this would be a good result for us.

26 is being used on Henry, wont make too much of a difference to us if its pushed back. We'd also play Brayshaw where he should be, in the middle.

Melbourne's second isn't great value for us given Henry's likely bid range. After about pick 12ish the club would prioritise points from multiple 3rds. I like Angus but the concussion problem is too big a risk especially after the Bennell and Hogan trades. My ideal for a trade with Melbourne would have then trade a future 1st and this years 3rd for Langdon and future second. I don't think they'll be missing finals 2 years in a row
I wish Dave, i wish. There is no way Melbourne do that. pick 15 is overs for uncontracted Langdon and with the way Melbourne went this year they couldnt possibly back themselves in to move up very high. If he goes there, their second is pretty close to spot on in my book

I wish Dave, i wish. There is no way Melbourne do that. pick 15 is overs for uncontracted Langdon and with the way Melbourne went this year they couldnt possibly back themselves in to move up very high. If he goes there, their second is pretty close to spot on in my book
Did say ideal not realistic. A more realistic option would be Langdon and Fremantle's 2019 2nd for Melbourne's 2020 1st and 2019 4th

We've given up too many first rounders this year and there's too much of a risk of us falling flat in 2020, zero chance of us trading a future first for a player that's not a KPP or need.

The Dees 2nd rounder would look pretty attractive this year with the number of local boys likely to be in and around that mark - Sharp, Jackson, Taylor.

I don't think we'd be looking at trading back, however he's uncontracted and the 2nd rounder might just come into calculation if we look to leverage any other moves.
Like you say he's out of contract. The players we've traded in for second rounders in straight swaps (Vince - 23, Melksham - 25, Hibberd - 27) have all been pretty skilful, which Langdon is not. Traded 23 for a KPP in Frost and got picks 43 and 54 back. We'd definitely need something coming back here, unless another Victorian club outbids us and Langdon is happy to go there (which for your sake I hope happens)

Like you say he's out of contract. The players we've traded in for second rounders in straight swaps (Vince - 23, Melksham - 25, Hibberd - 27) have all been pretty skilful, which Langdon is not. Traded 23 for a KPP in Frost and got picks 43 and 54 back. We'd definitely need something coming back here, unless another Victorian club outbids us and Langdon is happy to go there (which for your sake I hope happens)

His running power is first class, I would hope a few clubs would be interested.

We've given up too many first rounders this year and there's too much of a risk of us falling flat in 2020, zero chance of us trading a future first for a player that's not a KPP or need.
Not sure why you'd trade for Langdon if he wasn't a need... Also while it's a gamble, there's an view point that if you're not willing to trade it then you don't trust or believe in your team to get back into form next year. That would be pretty grim given your list, your performance last year and what will be an easy bottom 6 fixture

You need to open up your option in trade, eg ask the availability of Shai Bolton, Jack Martin instead of Langdon first . Whatever left over/swap pick use it on Langdon.
Evaluate the situation
Eg swap you first Rd with Richmond for their first and Shai Bolton
Or swap your first and future second with GC Brisbane first Rd pick and GC future 2nd + Martin.
Then you can either draft or use late first round on Langdon if you want or Fremantle happy to release him. You don't need to use one method to get a player.
If GCS get priority pick 1 then use your first round and negotiate with GWS / Sydney for multiple pick for experience players.

Last edited:
Not sure why you'd trade for Langdon if he wasn't a need... Also while it's a gamble, there's an view point that if you're not willing to trade it then you don't trust or believe in your team to get back into form next year. That would be pretty grim given your list, your performance last year and what will be an easy bottom 6 fixture
Plenty of clubs trade for players who aren’t needs? Langdon is a good player but not exactly the kind of player you’d give up first rounder for.

Plenty of clubs trade for players who aren’t needs? Langdon is a good player but not exactly the kind of player you’d give up first rounder for.
Landon's skillset is fairly high demand, I doubt the club trying to get him would be telling him he isn't a need

Remove this Banner Ad

Back