Analysis Good win today! Pies by 69 over Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Reading this thread has confirmed one thing to me.

Big Footy needs a "Dislike" button 👎

P.S I enjoyed the Win, Go Pies :)
If not a dislike, a "disagree" would be very handy.
And maybe a "Go * yourself" for the Carlton board.:thumbsu::p

No, I didn't.

You clearly missed the point of mine.

I know what the positives are and like I said to jathanas, it all comes with the caveat of the fact that we played Gold Coast. So it's a moot point to me. Gold Coast are clearly an atrocious football team. Even worse than I thought they were.

But yeah, if we go on to pump Melbourne next week, then all of a sudden maybe there's a glimmer of hope because it means that maybe we're starting to once again become a side that does what it should again.

But I'm not going to sit there and get excited over bullying the the little kid at school when over the last 2 months we haven't shown we can back it up.

Sorry -where is your post with positives and the caveat.
There isn’t one -

So not sure why you are now hiding behind JAthnas’ post.

Last edited:
Good to see you happy now after giving up in the first quarter.

I never gave up but it did look like it was going to be a lot closer in the first quarter. Glad even our lesser likes showed they are up for it and can still contribute. All is not lost yet but I was worried to begin with yes. It wasn't a good start and without Treloar's amazing quarter we would have been behind. Which against that mob would be unacceptable.

If not a dislike, a "disagree" would be very handy.
And maybe a "Go fu** yourself" for the Carlton board.:thumbsu::p

I got banned from their board for posting in their 'open to opposition supporters banter thread'.. I took 6 of em on.. didn't break any rules.. I had em bamboozled.. couldn't handle me.. so they banned me.. I was outnumbered 6 to 1.. good odds for any Greek.

Good signs:
-Treloar owning the outside. Looks to have got some zip back about him.

-Eliot improving. If he can get back to close to 100% by finals he’ll be a weapon.

-WHE finding some form. Hopefully it’s a sign of things to come. We’re a much more dangerous side with him firing on all cylinders.

-Sidey playing forward flank I think a good move.

-Shaz had a few good moments 1v1 against far taller opponents. he got body on them at the exact right moment and halved the contest. V smart player.

-Ball movement better. Higher propensity for overlap run and playing on after marks. It’s when we look dangerous.

Overall, we ain’t there yet but I think there are signs for optimism. Drop in DeGo, Moore, Stevo, maybe Noble and hopefully one of either Wells or Beams, and we can still go deep.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I never gave up but it did look like it was going to be a lot closer in the first quarter. Glad even our lesser likes showed they are up for it and can still contribute. All is not lost yet but I was worried to begin with yes. It wasn't a good start and without Treloar's amazing quarter we would have been behind. Which against that mob would be unacceptable.
There were some interesting posts after the first ten minutes from a variety of people. It’s usually a good idea to keep the powder dry.

There were some interesting posts after the first ten minutes from a variety of people. It’s usually a good idea to keep the powder dry.

It's in the heat of battle. I think most of us were thinking WTF after being thoroughly outplayed in the first 10 minutes and fearing the worst. You can't judge those comments unless you know the context of what just happened to provoke those comments. That's why that thread is locked post game.

I did earlier.

What we did today wasn't hugely different from what we've been doing from the earlier part of the year.

Played well for 2 quarters. Our first quarter was no different to the last 2 weeks, our last quarter was very average I can only assume because we took our foot off the gas.

There's a reason I said "hold off shooting your load" because I actually want to see this team back this up. That's how I started this thread, merely saying we should wait and see if they can back this up. Which is COMPLETELY FAIR given how we've been playing for the last 2 months (and the whole year really).

We played the Gold Coast, who are clearly even worse than I thought they were.
I will agree with you on the last sentence, I too am surprised how bad they are also on our first quarter but kicking 12 in the next was good.

But on our last quarter, I have a different thought that with Cox out a lot was left to Grundy and he appeared to be tiring. I didn't think we relaxed that much but didn't have any real options as if we put Roughhead in the ruck instead of say Wills, then that could have let more goals through which we didn't want.

Also we kicked 2.4 in the last and a couple of those could have easily been goals.

Just lately I've morphed into one of those middle-aged New Age women, hooked into astrology and other cosmic happenings. I've started to believe in positive and negative energy.

I'm drunk in some city pub, less wise than usual, but I feel sure that we should celebrate what was ultimately a decent, four-quarter victory. Drink it up now, worry about next week when it comes. Harness positive energy, because it is the rarest of commodities in this world.

Just lately I've morphed into one of those middle-aged New Age women, hooked into astrology and other cosmic happenings. I've started to believe in positive and negative energy.

I'm drunk in some city pub, less wise than usual, but I feel sure that we should celebrate what was ultimately a decent, four-quarter victory. Drink it up now, worry about next week when it comes. Harness positive energy, because it is the rarest of commodities in this world.

It's funny, some manage to be positive with a negative tone and others manage to be negative with a positive tone.

It was a good workman performance today, nothing special but a good win.
And after the last few weeks a badly needed win.
We need to get more speed back into the team, noble, Moore and stevo will make a big difference to the team when they are back

It's funny, some manage to be positive with a negative tone and others manage to be negative with a positive tone.
Where l just sit in the middle

Who can we genuinely expect to get back in the next few weeks that will help us have an impact in the finals.

Today made me think it's not a choice if we play the running, attacking game or not. It's whether they let us. I think they were surprised at the space they had today and took advantage of it.

Problem has always been this. When there's no pressure, Pies play like millionaires as the players are skillful in space but not so much pace and freedom when the players get touched up physically like North, or when teams shutdown the space.

Still, can't complain. Much better footy than the last month and a bit!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back