Autopsy 53 point win against Melbourne - Rd 22

Remove this Banner Ad

It was very clear sitting on the fence on the wing that Kieren Jack was playing a coaching role out on the ground. Whether that aspect justifies his selection is a question I guess but those looking for an explanation as to his selection well there is your answer.

Ronke laid one quite good tackle but that was it. There's a spot for him at his best but he's a long way off his best.

Reid is bloody fantastic. I've never understood the knocks on him. For a bloke his size to stay relevant in so many contests for as long as he does is simply incredible. Most talls would go to ground far earlier. It probably explains a lot of his injuries.

Kennedy seems to be less the go to mid and more the blocker at ball ups and throw ins now. His strength cleared a number of passages for the likes of Florent and Rowbottom to run through.

Rowbottom is a gem. It's very early but his ground ball handling last night in very greasy conditions was a class above others. You see the players around him move with a purpose "knowing" he's going to win the ground ball contest and give out quality ball. That purpose isn't quite there with a Clarke (who I have come to admire for his workrate) who's disposal is more iffy.

I can't see Menzel staying on the list. Even as depth. Hayward and Franklin, even Sinclair have to fit back into that forward line. McCartin. Cunningham and O'Riordan come back which probably sends Blakey forward again. And I suspect the match committee might be realising that Heeney's value at half forward is greater than his value as a mid.

It was very clear sitting on the fence on the wing that Kieren Jack was playing a coaching role out on the ground. Whether that aspect justifies his selection is a question I guess but those looking for an explanation as to his selection well there is your answer.

Ronke laid one quite good tackle but that was it. There's a spot for him at his best but he's a long way off his best.

Reid is bloody fantastic. I've never understood the knocks on him. For a bloke his size to stay relevant in so many contests for as long as he does is simply incredible. Most talls would go to ground far earlier. It probably explains a lot of his injuries.

Kennedy seems to be less the go to mid and more the blocker at ball ups and throw ins now. His strength cleared a number of passages for the likes of Florent and Rowbottom to run through.

Rowbottom is a gem. It's very early but his ground ball handling last night in very greasy conditions was a class above others. You see the players around him move with a purpose "knowing" he's going to win the ground ball contest and give out quality ball. That purpose isn't quite there with a Clarke (who I have come to admire for his workrate) who's disposal is more iffy.

I can't see Menzel staying on the list. Even as depth. Hayward and Franklin, even Sinclair have to fit back into that forward line. McCartin. Cunningham and O'Riordan come back which probably sends Blakey forward again. And I suspect the match committee might be realising that Heeney's value at half forward is greater than his value as a mid.

Excellent post Bruce.

A lot of good points here. Agree about Reid who I think with Allir really set the game up for us early. Reid remained involved and used his under rated smarts through the rest of the game. He made several disposal errors in the second half which I suspect reflected being buggered by the huge amount of work he had done.

Bruce's comments about JPK are spot on. He has shifted his game from the dominant "beast mode" which the team benefitted from for a long time to that of the "work horse". I doubt we will see dominant games in the future just a lot more hard working, selfless displays. Like Pendles, JPK seems to be inventing a role reflecting his capacities and the needs of the team.

On ground leadership is really hard to measure. At this time of the season there is little point arguing the merits of KJ's selection. It is really time to celebrate a wonderful career. Last night he again looked a yard or so behind the game but does it matter?

Leadership and footy IQ is not the sole province of veterans. A number of times last night we noted Dawson directing traffic and structure. I have seen him do this on the telly a few times but at the ground it was clear he is now expected to do this. Players were following his lead.

melbourne were atrocious. they didn't even try.

trade parker before he falls off a cliff. he can't keep up.

Nice to win at the MCG the more wins there the better and the more experience on that ground the better.

Plenty of things to work on for the Swans in no pressure turnovers (Lloyd) but enough there for me to be hopeful for the years ahead.

Umpire 23 hates the Swans. We still manage to lose that count even when we flog a team. Couple of howlers in non call for incorrect disposal and the Menzel one where Lewis just pushed him in the back to get a free. Still the AFL saw the game as a dead rubber and sent the s**t umpires to the Friday game.

Dunstall of course zeroed in on the soft goal Sam Reid got. His hate is so blatant. Richo watched a replay of Rampe getting pushed in the back into the post. "No push there I wouldn't think" FFS have a hard look at yourself Richo.

Not sure about Bell still but nice to see his goal and celebration. Blakey gonna get better love his mongrel even though ump 23 gave them a BS free from the centre as a result.

Good to sit on the couch and say suck it to Swans fans supporting a loss for picks.
Umpire 23is Rob Findlay, you wouldn't know it, he's a Victorian. Dandenong District

On ANE-LX2J using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re the umpiring, it was bloody ordinary. Not so much what was paid but what they missed. I was at the other end but the goal square free against Mills looked a disgrace.

I admit to being a little hoarse from yelling a bit (yep, I know old men and clouds). I reckon the Bloods crowd was well over half. The crowd figure was posted as over 22,000. I do not believe that for a moment.
Overall you're right but the goal square free was correct IMO. He had enough time to dispose and didn't.
Otherwise the umps were rubbish and biased. 4th quarter square ups were just as bad.

Way ahead of Deano. Thought Fox was solid all night and his run was used a bit better by the team.
I don't know why they don't play him back all the time? I thought that was where he excelled last year when he had to slot into the Smithy role. He is a really solid defender. I think he gets a bit lost up the ground. Rowbottom did some super extracting tonight. Just able to control the ball and bring it out where there seemed to be no space. He was always looking for an angle, gap or trying to manipulate one.

A great team effort. I know the opposition are not in premiership, or top Eight form for that matter, but we played them well. I think the expert comments team are right about Melbourne. I haven't seen them too many times this year but I have come to the same conclusion. They have too many of the same. Too many tough inside players and not enough outside run. Their first option is to congest the contest leaving a lot of free opponents outside. So easy to score against due to that. Their injuries a are problem but in saying that they had 9 of their starting 22 out and we had 7 if you don't consider O'Riordan top 22 which I do. Do as far as I'm concerned you can't blame injuries when playing the youngest 22 in the AFL.

Our development squad is far further along than theirs. This is obvious. They have concentrated on a core group of players and they were the nexus of their plan. But we developed all our youngsters under our long term development plan where they are nurtured and taught the Swans footy Bible. Thou shalt be a tight unit. Thou shalt help your teammates. Thou shalt not ever give in. Thou shalt not be selfish. Thou shalt be different and have individualism within the group structure to get better use of your talents. See Brett Kirk, Loe Barry, Adam Goodes, Mickey O, Pebbles and Nick Davis.

We are developing nicely. Next week will be a test as to where we are. They are in a similar position. The Saints are looking better every week. We are erratic, which is usual for such a young side. But next week if we can play footy and just have fun I believe we can knock them off too.

Some of our players or moments that stood out. Dawson is such a pivotal player to our side. He just opens them up. Ollie was sensational. His ability to just get away is super. Ramps just being Ramps. Fox was very good working off the half or FB line. Lloyd does it every week so often forgotten. Parker ran the mids. Heens was great, if his kicking were better he would have been sensational. Mills controlled HB. Aliir. Well what can you say. He is turning into the next Adam Goodes. Plays Ruck, forward, back, on smalls, talls and mids. This bloke could end up a serious super star. Mentioned Rowbottom earlier. Just some stuff he did that was degree of difficulty, impossible. But he did it.

Our team played as a unit. It's a team game and that is the way we played. They play for each other. Just have a look at the reaction to goals by Bell and Rowbottom. These kids are tight.

On ANE-LX2J using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'd like to see him in a few centre bounces just to see what happens. He's basically the same height as tallest man in the world, Patrick Cripps.

Doesn’t have the same footy smarts (around the contest) nor anywhere near the hardness of Cripps for me. Wouldn’t see him as an elite runner or contested ball winner and distributor. Wouldn’t be strong enough on the outside positionally either.

I can see your point of throwing him in there for a change up from time to time, which I would be open to for sure, but I could never see it being as a permanent or even regular fixture.

Nice analysis. I would like to see Hayward played more as a third marking forward and Blakey on the wing. I think Wicks might get a run next year. He brings insane pressure and can kick a goal. Menzel might stay as depth, but not as best 22. Ronke struggling to impact. Bell is very skilful but seems a fairly gentle soul. Hope we persevere with him. Been on a slowish but good trajectory.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back