Prediction Who's our next captain?

Who's our next captain?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Cam Guthrie?!!!! WTF? :oops:

This thread was started in 2014 and the poll closed on May 21, 2014.

Back then Guthrie was actually a favourite amongst posters and he was a respected player - that seems to have changed a bit over the past 5 years

Back then Guthrie was actually a favourite amongst posters and he was a respected player - that seems to have changed a bit over the past 5 years
Probable a couple of rusted on's that would still vote for him today judging by my dislikes received.

Which game proved to be the fork in the road?

Which game proved to be the fork in the road?

Round 8, 2016 versus Crows in Adelaide

That game showed what an attacking Guthrie at his peak could be - problem is he hasn't shown repeat performances like that, nor has he really had the opportunity with the style of roles he's played

Don't disagree at all, but does he want it?

He chose to stand down from the leadership group last year and he's actually played really good football after making that decision. Maybe he's enjoying his football more without that added pressure - but agree he'd be a good caption,
But what caption exactly?
‘Bond, James Bond’?
‘A week is a long time in footy.”?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jordan Clark. Just from what I've seen this year, he speaks well in public, has composure on the field and is a quality young player.

I think Joel will captain until his retirement (I'm tipping around 2021-22) but Clark will rise to the leadership group, and then eventually up to VC for Joel's last season or two and there will be a seamless handover, similar to how Joel spent two years as VC under Cameron Ling and moved into the captain role with little fuss

Jordan Clark. Just from what I've seen this year, he speaks well in public, has composure on the field and is a quality young player.

I think Joel will captain until his retirement (I'm tipping around 2021-22) but Clark will rise to the leadership group, and then eventually up to VC for Joel's last season or two and there will be a seamless handover, similar to how Joel spent two years as VC under Cameron Ling and moved into the captain role with little fuss

I'm thinking Clark might be a bit too young, even if we are talking about 2 or 3 years times. He's still only 18, so if it's handed over to him in 2021 or 2022, he'll only be 20 or 21 during the season and that seems very young for a captain (he's birthday is in Oct, so after the season). Not too many 2nd year players are in leadership groups, and you don't tend to see many 20 or 21 yr olds appointed captain; t would be a heck of a lot of pressure for a player who would still be developing their game. He might be 1 captain away from being in discussion as a future option, and potentially another captain away from being in line for the job.

In terms of how Joel stepped up to the roel, he was 20 when he joined the leadership group & turned 24 in the May of his 1st season as captain.

Only one still on the list came second last...
huh?

Of the player options to vote on, when I last checked both Duncan & Guthrie are still on our list

Back