Delisted Jack Martin [Selected by Carlton in the PSD]

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree it may not be sensible, but I’m not sure we 100% know the all the circumstances.

I completely agree. I’m merely a distant observer who knows very little of Martin’s circumstances. Which is why I refrain from talking about what Martin wants. All I know is that his manager has said he wants to get to Carlton.

All the evidence you ask for will be in team to team negotiation discussion. Just because players don’t get redrafted doesn’t mean it’s not discussed to get the best trade result for their players behind closed doors.

Speculation is not evidence.

We have one public example in the last decade of a club making this threat and it gave them zero leverage in negotiating a better deal.

So you reckon he'll change his mind yeah

So you reckon he'll resign yeah.
No, I think Martin will re-sign a 1 year deal with Gold Coast, then likely leave in a year's time as a free agent... by which time he may have selected yet another club.

Speculation is not evidence.

We have one public example in the last decade of a club making this threat and it gave them zero leverage in negotiating a better deal.
Obviously negotiation tactics aren’t your forte. Preconditioning of position (at the trade table and in the public domain to satisfy the unwashed) is a key tool in negotiation. Just because you don’t have visibility of all the discussion at the trade table doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen.

There’s no use trying to explain this quite simple concept further to you.

He can request to go to Carlton, Carlton didn’t get a trade for him so now he has to abide by the rules that are in place.

I have no problem with him going to Carlton, why would I? I just don’t see how he won’t be playing on the Gold Coast next year as they have pick 1, that’s all I’m saying.

If Gold Coast take him it’s not going to be a good look for the club that’s all I’m saying

It really surprises me now many Carlton's fans can read Martin's mind and know what are his feelings and want he wants. I did not like his body language the second half of the year and I personally hope he leaves Suns and can play his best somewhere which is actually bloody fantastic.

Martin reminds me May and Lynch. He's been with Suns from the start and appears mentally fatiqued from not tasting success. He likes GC and teamates though. When people talk about Betts they forget Harbrow who Martin has enormous respect for and has been his mentor for years. Martin love nothing more than fire on the river bank with his buddies.

If Martin was 100% sure he leaves he would not be meeting with Dew in coming days. So there is still possibility that he stays. There could be appeal of Rowell and Anderson, add Greenwood, B Ellis, extra preseason into Ainsworth, Bowes, Ballard, Powell, Brodie, Fiorini, King, Luko, Rankine and most importantly a good run with injuries and Suns are on the way up.

One aspect people forget that no player wants to be dragged through to PSD. I listened to Greenwood podcast. There was the possibily that he could go to PSD too. He was very relieved it did not happen. Carlton fans believe it's 100% Suns faults which in my mind is naive. Looking at SOS face after deadline he was genuinely shocked. I suspect he expected that Suns were bluffing. It's is also interesting that Martin's agent suggested that teams simply run out of time. This would suggest that Marin was not Carlton's priority and were focused on Papley deal dependant on Daniher deal. It almost looks like Martin was seriously discussed only in the last 30 min - 1hr.
I think we know what he wants because he said he wants to get to Carlton

If Gold Coast take him it’s not going to be a good look for the club that’s all I’m saying
If they let him go for nothing it won’t be a good look, I’ll be the first on here paying out the Suns at how stupid they are.

Agree it may not be sensible, but I’m not sure we 100% know the all the circumstances.

If Martin was depressed and struggling on the Gold Coast I’m sure the Suns wouldn’t take him back and would of traded him. But he’s still up there by choice at the moment and been enjoying himself with his friends and the life he has up there outside of football, last night out with Suns teammates.

I think (I don’t know) he just wants to play at a more competitive club such as Lynch and May wanted, unfortunately for Jack a traded to the destination he wanted didn’t get done and he’s not a free agent. One more year and he can be a free agent.

If Jack is going to be a cancer on the club they wouldn’t keep him, they know and I’m fairly sure he wouldn’t be.
How do you know all this information got a hotline to Jacks and all his mates phone numbers

I completely agree. I’m merely a distant observer who knows very little of Martin’s circumstances. Which is why I refrain from talking about what Martin wants. All I know is that his manager has said he wants to get to Carlton.
I think everyone is a distant observer, none of know what Jack, the Suns, Melbourne or the AFL views are on what’s going to happen

How do you know all this information got a hotline to Jacks and all his mates phone numbers
How do I know what? Where Jack is, I follow him on Instagram, he puts videos up on his story.

He doesn't want to be there. That we know for sure.

We don't know the exact reasons why, we don't have to know the exact reasons why. But I doubt he's coming to Carlton just because we might win more than the Suns in 2020. There are plenty of other clubs who would gladly have him, and that he'd look at well before Carlton, if that was his reason.
We did only have 3 clubs go after go after him in the trade period, Carlton, the bulldogs and Fremantle. So he had the choice of 3. Apparently the Bulldogs have no indigenous players on their list which was a turn off for Jack

What's the Crows got to do with this thread? Never suggested he would want to come to the Crows.

Who is everyone? We only traded out players we no longer require for our refresh.
You misspelt rebuild Kane, i also think Jack Martins first game next year will be against Richmond in rnd 1.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We did only have 3 clubs go after go after him in the trade period, Carlton, the bulldogs and Fremantle. So he had the choice of 3. Apparently the Bulldogs have no indigenous players on their list which was a turn off for Jack

Yes. Hence it is fair to assume he's not just coming to Carlton because he thinks he can win more than he has at the Suns...

They've already taken their stand. And that's fine, but they're now going to lose the player for nothing. They will not draft him unless they can somehow convince him to stay, which seems very unlikely.
Its easy GC say to him if you go to the preseason draft we will take you with pick 1 .
Come back and play for a year and we will try get a trade done but we will not lose you for nothing .

He is a great player so gold coast redrafting him is a win for them .

Yes. Hence it is fair to assume he's not just coming to Carlton because he thinks he can win more than he has at the Suns...
No I think he’s leaving the Suns to win more games, like May and Lynch left last year, any of the 17 clubs would be an upgrade in that department.

Its easy GC say to him if you go to the preseason draft we will take you with pick 1 .
Come back and play for a year and we will try get a trade done but we will not lose you for nothing .

He is a great player so gold coast redrafting him is a win for them .

Well yeah, I understand how it'd be communicated if they did choose to redraft him. But the point is it almost certainly won't get to that.

Martin will probably meet with the Suns one final time, and unless he's had a change of heart, he'll tell them he doesn't want to be there in 2020.

If he remains as steadfast on playing for Carlton in 2020 as he has been, they will not take him. And neither will Melbourne.

As for Martin being a "great player", the reality is he's a long way short of that. A huge talent but we haven't seen anywhere near his best to date.

Well yeah, I understand how it'd be communicated if they did choose to redraft him. But the point is it almost certainly won't get to that.

Martin will probably meet with the Suns one final time, and unless he's had a change of heart, he'll tell them he doesn't want to be there in 2020.

If he remains as steadfast on playing for Carlton in 2020 as he has been, they will not take him. And neither will Melbourne.

As for Martin being a "great player", the reality is he's a long way short of that. A huge talent but we haven't seen anywhere near his best to date.
If he is a long way short of being a great player why are you offering him 550k a year ?

Play it down all you want but if you valued martin you would have got the trade done .

GC have every right to take him in the PSD after being lowballed to the point of making a stand and not accepting a future 2nd which is a massive flog offer fora player of martins talent .

If they let him go for nothing it won’t be a good look, I’ll be the first on here paying out the Suns at how stupid they are.
If he goes to Melbourne you'll quickly change your mind, since you follow him on instagram and all that. Now don't tell us any lies.

If he goes to Melbourne you'll quickly change your mind, since you follow him on instagram and all that. Now don't tell us any lies.
If he ends up at Melbourne, I’ll happily say “thanks Gold Coast you f****** d*** c****!

If he is a long way short of being a great player why are you offering him 550k a year ?

Because we think he's got more to offer than what he's shown at AFL level thus far, and we think he can reach his potential at Carlton.

It has absolutely nothing to do with thinking he's a "great" footballer. What a bizarre reach that is.

Play it down all you want but if you valued martin you would have got the trade done .

I'm not playing it down. I'm telling it as it is.

We valued Martin at what we offered, the Suns valued him at what they countered with. Just because we didn't reach a consensus doesn't mean we didn't value him. It's a really simple concept to understand.

GC have every right to take him in the PSD after being lowballed to the point of making a stand and not accepting a future 2nd which is a massive flog offer fora player of martins talent .

We didn't just offer a future 2nd. Reports suggest we offered the Suns a future 2nd and a future 3rd.

Players really need to give their managers more scope for a trade. "trade me to Carlton" needs to be "trade me to a Vic club". Then at least we wouldn't have these pathetic low-ball offers.

I'd hazard a guess SOS offered his handful of chips in the knowledge Suns wouldn't take it - counter offer a reasonable trade, then force Martin into the PSD anyway. di*k move.

If Calrton future second and third Rd is so good I can see Sydney trade their second Rd pick 25 with Carlton. Sydney don't even bother to trade their second Rd pick show Carlton low ball GCS and want pick 25 back from Sydney If they get Papley.

Hi GCS if we get Papley we give you pick 25, if not you get future second and third. You just can't do trade in one way traffic and let GCS wait for you.

Last edited:
If the Suns let him get to Carlton for free, isn’t that just going against their stand that the other 17 clubs can just feed off their carcass?

If anything this the right player in the right situation with having pick one to make that stand.

A carcass that the AFL created by trying to set up another side in a non football state and give them nothing should have been Tassie from get go

Remove this Banner Ad

Back