Jokes already been done ;)

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
My bad. It was just too obvious.

Gabba crowd
D1: 13,561
D2: 13,769
D3: 13,836
D4: 4,825
Pretty average effort from Queenslanders. Looking like next year they’ll be playing at Allan Border Field against Afghanistan with that sort of attendance.

I doubt any ground in the country would get anything but poor crowds playing Pakistan in a day test in a non-holiday period at the moment. A day night test would have got more in, I think there was 20k+ for the first 3 days against Pakistan in the 2016 D/N test.

I don't really get the criticism of Starc, but do remember Mitchell Johnson being something of a whipping boy until he turned into a veritable demon bowler @ 32yo. His Test record is superficially similar to Starc's.

Coming in after the bowling attack had spent 60 overs in the field is a pretty nice time to bat i would think.
They could only find 2 wickets and looked hapless in the conditions before clearly adapting on day 2, where Warner struggled. Cases for both players clearly.

Not sure where else to share (what happened to the 'posts that don't deserve a whole thread' thread?), but interesting reading.

Top 25 Test bowlers over the last two years, by average (minimum 900 balls/150 overs bowled):

View attachment 783998

Of the three Pakistani bowlers on that list, one noteably didn't play this Test (Abbas), one has retired from Test cricket at age 27, with a 5-year gap in between (Amir), and one isn't even in the touring squad (Asif)
Insane comeback from Ishant Sharma.

Gabba crowd
Pretty average effort from Queenslanders. Looking like next year they’ll be playing at Allan Border Field against Afghanistan with that sort of attendance.

It’s not Christmas or New Years and it’s Pakistan. Cricket Australia want to kill off the Gabba test.

In regards to the crowd figure it was only two years ago when Brisbane was announcing record crowds for test matches against England.

2017 Ashes Test – Gabba Crowd total
Day 1: 35,144
Day 2: 34,358
Day 3: 33,474
Day 4: 21,535

Since then Brisbane was dropped for the first test against India and given Sri Lanka and now Pakistan.

I would imagine if we were given India next year or a day night test we would see some pretty good numbers again.

Cricket only gets good crowds vs England & India - cricket australia even admit this when they say they make most of the money in 1 summer out of 3, and make allowances for the poor years to cope.

Melb & Sydney get the benefit of everyone being on holidays while the other states have games during normal workdays etc.

Should they do something different next summer and have the test against Afganistan in a place like Canberra. Where the 5k daily crowds would look okay? Brisbane to miss out altogether.

Should they do something different next summer and have the test against Afganistan in a place like Canberra. Where the 5k daily crowds would look okay? Brisbane to miss out altogether.
I reckon they should play some tests at smaller venues like country grounds v lower ranked nations.

Be pretty good for the locals if Australia v Bangladesh @ Somewhere thats had bushfires

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Insane comeback from Ishant Sharma.

For a long time with Sharma the pervading view was that he was perpetually unlucky and beat the bat a lot where others would draw the edge. That turned to ‘well maybe there’s a bit more to it than bad luck’ but maybe now looking back, the original view was the correct one
He was always seemingly the first quick picked for the dead Indian wickets and the first dropped overseas when he would have thrived too so that might have had an impact

He was always seemingly the first quick picked for the dead Indian wickets and the first dropped overseas when he would have thrived too so that might have had an impact
Don't think that was really true though. Of his 96 matches he has 37 at home and 59 away.

Gabba crowd

I can understand the crowd yesterday but I thought the first three days were poor.

I don't think it is a major contributor but the ICC need to do more about the over rate. That is something they can control.

I can understand the crowd yesterday but I thought the first three days were poor.

I don't think it is a major contributor but the ICC need to do more about the over rate. That is something they can control.

What I fail to understand is why aren't teams forced to bowl their 90 overs, and if you are short, you are docked runs in your innings

What I fail to understand is why aren't teams forced to bowl their 90 overs, and if you are short, you are docked runs in your innings

Would the umps/icc enforce it though?

Teams are always slow and are meant to be losing test championship points yet somehow they always get a pass, the umps don't want to be seen as deciding the games so they can blame wickets lost or injury interruptions basically anything they can to avoid handing out run penalties.

I think one easier way is every over you are behind is another over you need to wait for the new ball, we were miles behind day 1 so we shouldn't have got the new ball till the next day, 6 overs behind the rate you wait till 86 overs for the new ball.

Would the umps/icc enforce it though?

Teams are always slow and are meant to be losing test championship points yet somehow they always get a pass, the umps don't want to be seen as deciding the games so they can blame wickets lost or injury interruptions basically anything they can to avoid handing out run penalties.

I think one easier way is every over you are behind is another over you need to wait for the new ball, we were miles behind day 1 so we shouldn't have got the new ball till the next day, 6 overs behind the rate you wait till 86 overs for the new ball.

One of the better ideas ive heard to solve the problem actually

Gabba crowd

Actually a good idea. Why we persist in playing games in huge venues when we know people won't go is beyond me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back