Australia v New Zealand 1st Test at Perth December 12-16

How many people do we think will turn up on Day 1 Boxing day, 75k for me.
Apparently 20k tickets for Boxing Day were bought by people actually in NZ, and extra flights have been put on between NZ and Melbourne just for the test. I’m expecting 75k at least.

For context, that’s roughly the same amount of tickets typically purchased from England when the poms are here.

Why wouldn’t ya.

It was virtually a wide half volley and hitting with the turn with no one out.

Good on him for hitting what needs to be hit.
well, that first one he didn't get near the pitch and didn't time it well, but still got the boundary... and of course there's no reason really for him not to "force the issue", I wasn't diminishing his decision to do it, just stating a fact.

well, that first one he didn't get near the pitch and didn't time it well, but still got the boundary... and of course there's no reason really for him not to "force the issue", I wasn't diminishing his decision to do it, just stating a fact.

I thought he got pretty close to it but fair enough.

It’s a safe enough shot with no one out though, his only danger is extra bounce. The closer he gets to the pitch the less danger the bounce is.

Lyon won’t change his line or length though. Or shouldn’t.

an interesting anecdote, but hardly anybody has any idea how fast their friends actually bowl, as the technology doesn't exactly filter down to the lower levels of cricket...

my friends I played cricket with at district/grade level borrowed a police speed radar (one of those friends was a highway cop) and the bowlers ranged from 110-135km/h in the pace bowling department... I've faced these higher end bowlers and yes, they're ridiculously fast when you first see it, but you get used to it and respond accordingly and your own reactions and movements change their timing. I'd happily go out and face these 140km/h balls if I'd recently practiced against similar pace in the nets.
I find it hard to believe that any of the friends you were playing with would get up to 135km/hr. Very few grade cricketers reach that pace consistently. To highlight this, Glen McGrath bowled in the nets once coming back from injury. The guy facing him played district firsts and said he was as sharp as anyone he had ever faced before in club cricket. That was when McGrath was coming back from injury and considering he normally bowled at around 135km/hr, he would have been slower bowling in the nets, coming back from injury. Even if one of your friends was bowling at 135 Km/hr, the extra pace of getting up to 140 km/hr would be an enormous difference for you to handle. Only elite cricketers who play first class cricket can consistently cope with pace of up to 140 km/hr. If you are happy to face a bowler at 140 clicks you must be pretty good mate. Should be playing for your state.

I thought he got pretty close to it but fair enough.

It’s a safe enough shot with no one out though, his only danger is extra bounce. The closer he gets to the pitch the less danger the bounce is.
exactly... it's a pretty safe shot to play with the field that was in place, other than the risk of an edge

I find it hard to believe that any of the friends you were playing with would get up to 135km/hr. Very few grade cricketers reach that pace consistently. To highlight this, Glen McGrath bowled in the nets once coming back from injury. The guy facing him played district firsts and said he was as sharp as anyone he had ever faced before in club cricket. That was when McGrath was coming back from injury and considering he normally bowled at around 135km/hr, he would have been slower bowling in the nets, coming back from injury. Even if one of your friends was bowling at 135 Km/hr, the extra pace of getting up to 140 km/hr would be an enormous difference for you to handle. Only elite cricketers who play first class cricket can consistently cope with pace of up to 140 km/hr. If you are happy to face a bowler at 140 clicks you must be pretty good mate. Should be playing for your state.
I didn't say how well I'd do, just that I'd be happy to give it a shot and not be afraid to stand up and give it a shot. :)

Based on the experience I referenced, I think the 110'er was around the same speed as the fastest indoor cricket regular bowlers (all I play is indoor cricket these days) and 135 was a HUGE step up... but one you adapt to after playing it for a little while and realising the concentration and focus levels required to do it.

I have no doubt that I'd really struggle with 145 even after facing some 135's like these international players do (to a much larger degree, most likely, due to my subpar skills compared to them).

It’s not that far fetched. Chris tremain was one of my opponents in my first season of local first grade in country nsw. In a Metro Comp most clubs would have someone of a similar velocity

It’s not that far fetched. Chris tremain was one of my opponents in my first season of local first grade in country nsw. In a Metro Comp most clubs would have someone of a similar velocity
exactly my experience...
if you can control it and bowl at pace you go the next level... if you struggle to control it like most pace bowlers you go for a lot of runs inbetween getting heaps of wickets haha

How did that go?

He is considered 'medium-fast' at the high level but I imagine at club level he was a demon?

It is clear that even elite Test players struggle with anything over 140 clicks.

Copeland giving me the irrits. Most Australian commentators have the annoying habit of feeling they have to fill every potential moment of silence by talking; generally extolling the brilliance of Smith, Marnus, Starc, Lyon, Cummins. I tend to find the overkill fairly cringeworthy at times.

There is nothing wrong with periods of relative silence in commentary, and letting the action speak for itself. I really think the English commentators strike a far better balance than Messrs Brayshaw, Fleming, Slater.

I frequently find myself shouting “just STFU” at the TV.

Did I just see an attempted reverse sweep with the back of the bat! Wow, you don't see that every day...?

OK but if Australia choose a 5th bowler or all rounder (e.g. Mitch Marsh) for either test the standard will be 4 wickets.

Not a chance! Mitch Marsh (or other allround option) won’t bowl 20% of the overs!

If you get that, then if a bowler goes down, the standard becomes 7 wickets because there’s only 3 bowlers left 😉

exactly my experience...
if you can control it and bowl at pace you go the next level... if you struggle to control it like most pace bowlers you go for a lot of runs inbetween getting heaps of wickets haha

Yep, which was exactly my point in my reply to you.

Plenty of people on here are taking stabs with no personal experience.

There’s plenty of very quick guys in grade cricket, the difference is control.

Bowling quick isn’t ‘ hard ‘ but doing it well is.

Copeland giving me the irrits. Most Australian commentators have the annoying habit of feeling they have to fill every potential moment of silence by talking; generally extolling the brilliance of Smith, Marnus, Starc, Lyon, Cummins. I tend to find the overkill fairly cringeworthy at times.

There is nothing wrong with periods of relative silence in commentary, and letting the action speak for itself. I really think the English commentators strike a far better balance than Messrs Brayshaw, Fleming, Slater.

I frequently find myself shouting “just STFU” at the TV.

Someone earlier in this thread said he's like a robot pretending to be human. I still can't argue that.

Though, I really enjoyed McCullum ignoring him when he tried to be "boys clubby"

Back