Prediction Who finishes highest out of Freo, St Kilda and Sydney in 2020?

Who finishes highest?

• Fremantle

Votes: 70 40.7%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 75 43.6%
  • Sydney

Votes: 27 15.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Also can't understate how huge it would be for McCarthys game if Freo have another quality KPF out there. Running at least two of Lobb, Hogan and Taberner (assuming Darcy is playing in the ruck) lets McCarthy play as the 3rd tall where he can really thrive. He will otherwise struggle taking on the main KPD. I honestly think a healthy Fremantle is a finals team, but I agree that we may never see a full season out of Hogan. Unfortunate really, as I'd love to see Freo going deep in finals
Agreed. Perfect example is round 1 vs North when freo scored 21.15.141 to Roos 9.5.59

Tabs and Lobb were the main talls. McCarthy kicked 5 goals as a 3rd tall.

I am hoping we would finish above these sorts of teams with some genuine improvement finally but mostly I just want to beat teams like the Swans and even Adelaide and Port Adelaide for that matter who just seem to beat us all the time for fun!

Of the three teams I think St Kilda have a better core group of players around the age of 25-29. They recruited well during the off-season.

Fremantle have talented key position players, but most of them underperformed last year. If those players like Hogan, Taberner, Darcy, Pearce, Logan, etc all play well finals is a possibility.

If Sydney ever play Mills as a midfielder then they’ll make the finals.

So these 3 teams finished 13th to 15th last season. Who finishes highest this year, and why? Will any (or all!) make the 8, or do all still need to keep building before they're ready for that?

With Buddy missing for so much of last season, Sydney finally took a big dive down the ladder. Will he get on the park consistently again this year, after looking in ripping nick earlier this preseason- before injuring his knee? As he makes them a multiple goal better team. Or are Sydney in more like a full rebuild mode?

Despite having a pretty horrific injury run last season, the Saints won twice as many games as the previous year (although still not enough for Richo to keep his job). Will the multiple acquisitions over the offseason, the potential return of the guys who missed most or all of last season with injury, and Ratten and his new game-plan, allow them to propel further up the ladder?

While Freo had another season in the bottom third of the ladder and duly relieved themselves of old mate Rosco. Will they get all their marking targets up forward back, who's absence for so much of last year really cost them? Will Fyfe have enough support in the midfield, with the likes of Brayshaw, Blakely and Cerra stepping up, and with Acres and Aish replacing Hill and Langdon?

Have at it!
Probs Saints in 9th spot. I can't see any of them making the 8, swc

Premiership window? Probably not

Finals window? You betcha.

Also round 7 in the derby can come soon enough as we will put up more of a fight than the last derby. I assure you we will kick more than 2 goals. :)
More of a fight, 92 points, hard to go worse but you never know!!!

Respect Sydney’s young talent but think they’ll struggle in the short term. They could be bottom four material without the list being in bad shape. Longmire might need to free up the kids to show a bit more flair in order to keep the supporters interested.

Freo beat five finalists last year but dropped their bundle after Hogan went down. Hard to know which way they’ll go under a rookie coach. Really a case of wait and see before making any predictions.

St.Kilda have spent up and Ratten seemed the obvious appointment, although it took a while to confirm. He did well with young Carlton teams and I could easily see the Saints jumping up several places. Whether it’s sustainable is another thing.

Saints most likely for me at this stage ahead of Freo, with Sydney the rank outsider.

next thing you want is a Fremantle team in the BBL lol

nah that would deny us the laughter of freo's endless talk in the pre season

every year without fail
today's gem Mr 11 goals a season set to dominate the comp...lulzz

they just never learn

nah that would deny us the laughter of freo's endless talk in the pre season

every year without fail
today's gem Mr 11 goals a season set to dominate the comp...lulzz

they just never learn
And to Think I thought you were a typical West coast fan that hates Fremantle all year round. Don't you want Perth scorchers to beat Fremantle twice each season? While your at it why don't we have a Fremantle team in the A-league? LoL

And to Think I thought you were a typical West coast fan that hates Fremantle all year round. Don't you want Perth scorchers to beat Fremantle twice each season? While your at it why don't we have a Fremantle team in the A-league? LoL

you're typical WC fan couldn't care less about cockburn except for the 8 points

the bitter obsession is all one way

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now I am really keen for the season to start. Jesse Hogan is out with Mental health issues.

As far as I am concerned thats only one Player. Justin Longmuir still has other forwards to work with. Freo doesnt have exactly the best forward line in the comp but its Far from the worst.

On a good Day, a Team that as Lobb, Matera, Walters, Tarberner and McCarthy in a forward line can do damage on a good day if taken lightly.

And if Jesse Hogan doesnt play again this season, Every win freo get I will cherish as it will be well deserved as we won each game without our only Forward that could kick 50-60 goals in a season.

I sometimes get bagged out on choosing 2 average tall forwards that can kick 66 between them or 33 each than the one bloke that can kick 66 goals or 3 goals a game.

I look at Freos tall forwards and Lobb, Tarberner, McCarthy and Cox are all capable of kicking 30-35 goals.

As for the smalls, Walters and Matera are the forward pockets and can easily get 66 goals between them too. Switkowski is depth.

Then you got a bunch of blokes that can play on a forward flank....

Again, some times its best having 2 blokes kicking 30 each than 1 guy kicking 60. You lose that one 60 goal a season tall, your forward line is stuffed. You lose one 30 goal forward, you still have a semi decent forward line.

Of the three teams I think St Kilda have a better core group of players around the age of 25-29. They recruited well during the off-season.

Fremantle have talented key position players, but most of them underperformed last year. If those players like Hogan, Taberner, Darcy, Pearce, Logan, etc all play well finals is a possibility.

If Sydney ever play Mills as a midfielder then they’ll make the finals.
St.Kilda recruited well, did they lose anyone or was it all upside for them?

St.Kilda recruited well, did they lose anyone or was it all upside for them?
We lost Steven who played 5 games last year, it’s no doubt a loss and someone we’d rather have than not have but given he hardly played for us last season it’s not as big as many make it out to be, Bruce is a developed key forward who had good games but more often than not he kicked 1 goal or less than he did 2+ and I think that’s a genuine stat not just a statement, Acres is one that has all the talent, just couldn’t put it it together under Richardson and was in and out of the side a lot of the time.

People make out a lot about who we lost and don’t talk enough about who we brought in, we lacked outside speed and we got it, lacked pressure up forward, we got it, we gain Roberton back, Hannebery healthy, Howard down back, Carlisle healthy

People forget just how many injuries we had last season, King is playing for the first time and he’s more than capable of 30 goals in his debut season I believe anyway.

I might be being really optimistic but we managed what 9 wins with an extremely banged up team, a mid season coaching change and a worse team than we have now 🤷🏽‍♂️

If you look at the players who had between 100 and 199 Disposals for the year in 2019 the results for these
three teams are as follows:
1st- St Kilda: 2,113 Disposals
2nd- Sydney: 1,708 Disposals
5th- Fremantle: 1,165 Disposals

Now all three teams were quite heavily represented St Kilda had 14 Players made up of Youth, Fringe and the
long term Injured a small upswing in continuity can make a tremendous impact on a teams year. Most of the
8 Players from Fremantle were structural big beefers which makes a huge difference.

I did not expect such calm, confidence and complete faith in the direction that Sydney is taking the list.
Just about everyone is happy as hell, which is bizarre considering where we finished in 2019.
That said, we are no chance of playing finals in 2020. Absolute zero chance. Be lucky to win 6 games I reckon :p

No midfield. Injured KPF. Backline decimated. Very young list.
Forget us.

We'll still beat the Weagles though :thumbsu:
Saints could be top of the ladder and undefeated but I’d still expect a smashing from your lot!!!!

Predicting games of footy based on betting odds is what the yanks do. Sure they give you an idea of who may emerge victorious but Fremantle over at Subiaco where Geelong have notoriously been terrible was always a solid prediction. Factor in the smalls Fremantle have, something which Geelong have always had problems with, there was seriously no chance we'd win that game.
If I remember correctly, we jumped out to an early lead and I was pretty surprised by that but inevitably, we s**t the bed as per usual.

Reece Conca is a s**t footballer. I don't care if he was averaging 20 disposals per game, he's a C grade player who has made the most of his limited opportunities. 28 years of age this season, he's not someone who will help Fremantle push for a spot in the top 8.
I certainly don't expect Sam Menegola to help Geelong get wins. They are list plodders.
Man you have it good at the Cattery! Menegola is pretty handy!!

Back