Injury All things COVID-19 - including the impact on Season 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
indefininte so far.
LA is on lock down until April 19 at a minimum.
I expec that to go to May 2-3 as well sadly.

And for TV world. shows are being cancelled left and right. The bigger media companies like Disney, Viacom et al are all pulling shows and cancelling stuff.

And when you think its 400k a day for some shows to run.. you can see why.

GO Catters

Think that's the same here in Aus where pretty much all scripted TV has been stopped, and it's mainly just live tv still going, with news based programs or the odd sports program

I think Big Brother filming is still going ahead, but that started prior to all this s**t & while they are in lockdown/quarantine it's probably not the worse place for the contestants

Less than 50 deaths so far while England is recording hundreds each day, Spain and Italy are disaster zones and President Trump tweet about how lots of death is expected next week.

Maybe, just maybe Hello Kitty the government got it right. Closed down at the right time due to good advice from its medical officers and tried to save the economy at the same time.

Reckon suicides in Aus due to the economic downturn will be higher than the virus itself but I guess ScoMo shouldn’t have bothered about the economy :rolleyes:

Then again a year off and they may have a new lease of life.
Hard to say. Most of the older guys would probably want to be on the park I reckon. They would already be pretty well recovered after summer layoff. I'd be worried as a 30 something player, particularly if lists might be culled as some have mooted.
Time waits for no man..( except Sean Burgoyne :D )

I legit have a cousin who has been saying that stress is what kills people not germs and if we meditate we won't die of corona. He has a 4 year engineering degree from a respected university and has done a psychology on top of that. I have no reasonable explanation for this
Scientology agrees with this

I know no one will agree with me but this lockdown is gonna be worse than the virus itself. & you add financial pressures as well!
I'm still working and find myself spending 8 hours on the phone crapping on and annoying people.
My missus has had a week off and when I get home she's so bored she's following me into the the toilet and just crapping on.
It's not good. 6 months!

I feel your burden spazz, still chipping away in the ghost town missus can't go anywhere or do anything so I cop the brunt of it when I get home

Less than 50 deaths so far while England is recording hundreds each day, Spain and Italy are disaster zones and President Trump tweet about how lots of death is expected next week.

Maybe, just maybe Hello Kitty the government got it right. Closed down at the right time due to good advice from its medical officers and tried to save the economy at the same time.

Reckon suicides in Aus due to the economic downturn will be higher than the virus itself but I guess ScoMo shouldn’t have bothered about the economy :rolleyes:

There is no economy until the virus is stopped. The countries that will do the best (or least worse) out of situation are those with the lowest infection rates.

There is no economy until the virus is stopped. The countries that will do the best (or least worse) out of situation are those with the lowest infection rates.
Point missed. HK was bitching and moaning about ScoMo apparently being slow and negligent with this virus.

When all he was doing was first trying to get some stimulus and legislative measures in place first, and here we are, sitting safely at home with memorandums on evictions and rent payments, enough food and water, and temporary basic income for all... and barely any deaths.

Early signs are looking very promising for how this has been handled

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So basically our old ended list will watch this season pass in likelihood. We are loaded up for 3 first rounders in a draft where it is now impossible to be sure we get any value out of these picks. So we end up coming out of this with our strategy being right for pre-corona virus but the circumstances have conspired to make our strategy probably the worse in the come to remain competitive. It’s so depressing. Unless the game is altered to the extent that players can play till they are late 30’s we will be down for quite a long time, just through having the wrong demographics in our list given circumstances now one could have foreseen. It’s a bummer.

Then again a year off and they may have a new lease of life.
Hard to say and may depend on the player. Might not be so bad for a guy like Selwood to a prolonged period of time off. For a guy like Ablett, putting the stops on could be the end of his career. Such a long layoff sort of means it's like they have to do another pre-season, and I think that long break/pre-season cycle is what the older guys begin to find so difficult towards the end.

Right now there aren't really, but longer term they always struggle to get anything like appropriate funding. Majority of voters just can't imagine a situation like those horror stories happening to them or a loved, a large number of the ones who can don't want to engage the topic publicly. Often the kids themselves are too afraid, ashamed, or damaged to go out and discuss it in the public sphere even once they're adults. The kids need public advocacy, someone to stand up for them and send help, but because there's not many votes in it politicians will go out and make spending announcements only infrequently and generally for small amounts that don't solve the issue.

They also have the same issue of additional policing resources just inverted. If you hire heaps more police the crime rate will on paper go up, justifying the resources but you'll find that for the most part they've just started cracking down on increasingly petty crimes.

With child protection, they're effectively criminal investigators so when you cut their resources their total case numbers go down and it makes the problem seem like it's under control when in fact they're just letting increasingly heinous crimes go unpunished.

All of this changes on a dime though if politicians think there's votes in it. So the thing that people can do is write to their local MP and ask them what they're doing to fund child protection. If you get asked to do a survey of what you feel is important as a voter, say child protection, If you can get your friends to do the same then the whole conversation can change.

Thank you. I'm just reading Jess Hill's "See What You Made Me Do", and what you have said about numbers, services, and political visibility makes sense. I promise I will write.

The issue here, much like home, is that both parties are genuine s**t shows and cant get out of their own ways when in opposition and none of them work for the greater good, only for themselves.

The Trump side needs no explanaiton as to how f’ed up they are, and the Dems are their own worst enemy. They had 4 years to get it together and make themselves a quaity alternative to Trump - instead they bickered and positioned themselves as individuals not as a party - and now it leadership time they roll out 2 x 70+ candidates - good luck connecting with the younger and ethncially diverse masses - notwithstanding having no poilcy links to said massess either.

So the s**t show continues.

AS for the Virus - yeah its not gonna end well here. At least CA and LA has had the stay at home order in place for 3 weeks now. That will keep the curve flatter than NY IMO - but part of that is also due to the wide expanse of LA itself... not as crowded as NY is - still WAY too many people but that sprawl will help slow it. It wont stop it IMO, but the key is to slow it down and manage the carnage not stop it. REmains to be seen if that works.

NY Gov Cuomo is a great leader. He is leading - out there everday and taking control - might not agree with everything he does and says - but by God he's leading and fighting this thing as best he can and hes making hard decisions to best suit his populus. I mean - he's taking Ventilators from hospitals that have them and moving them to hospitals that need them - thats need based medicine and risking being short if it surges in other areas - but he's making the best of bad really siutation.

I see Andrews out there everyday too - he's making tough calls and not sugar coating this. Leadership stands out in times like this. BE happy you have it

GO Catters

We need a "Get Daz Home" thread / campaign / hashtag

Do you reckon they go and piss themselves laughing backstage after these things?
I saw a few smiles trying to crack out in both those videos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back