Review Dees v Hawks: Good, Bad & Fugly - Rd 7, 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

If people werent so scared of Martin's character he was miles ahead of anyone else, was obvious to anyone who watched the under 18s that year.

Martin was a brilliant junior player but Scully.
If you watched the under 18 carnival Martin popped off your screen. I don't what to tell you. It' was bleedingly obvious. I reckon someone like Taylor who isn't afraid to go against conventional thinking would have taken Martin at #1.

I've got plenty wrong too, this wasn't meant to be a blow my horn session. Said we should have taken Nathan Vardy instead of Max.

Said I thought Sam Blesse could become a star. 😂

A bit of revisionist history on your part because Scully failed to live up to the hype. Scully was the consensus number 1 pick a clear 12 months before he was eligible. He also had a terrific debut season.

Melbourne went balls deep with 6 picks at the draft that year. Only 2 remain in the league.

Pick 1 - Scully. Failed to live up to the hype but has been a productive player and is still serviceable now
Pick 2 - Trengove. Failed to live up to the hype. Injuries derailed his career.
Pick 11 - Gysberts. Bust.
Pick 18 - Tapscott. Bust.
Pick 34 - Gawn. Brilliant.
Pick 50 - Fitzpatrick. Fair player for the draft position.

Should have taken Martin over Scully for his foot skills alone. Although I guess that’s why we took Toumpas over Wines and that didn’t work out too well for us. At least Martin and Scully were comparable juniors for contested ball.

i guess knowing our luck Martin would have just ended up going to GWS instead

Martin would have been taken #2 overall if he had went to a private school.

Just quietly ... how solid has Viney's goal kicking become. I used to pencil in a point for anything more difficult than 20m out directly in front, but has become super reliable this season.

Maybe Alan Richardson was right, who would think a bloke who watches training everyday vs the internet who watch 2 hours on a weekend.

Not defending the recruiting staff entirely, Blease and Strauss picks weren't great but any chance the footy gods give them a chance at making it;

Blease breaks his leg at school
Strauss - for memory was starting to show some decent footy and snaps his leg in half.

Tapscott - stuffs his hip after stepping on a sprinkler head on the ground

Even Luke Molan back in the super draft of 01 - breaks his arm and does an ACL in the same contest.

Lucas Cook was the head scratcher of all head scratchers

Picked at 12 in 2010, 1 pick after Tom Lynch and 14 spots before Darling. Delisted 2 years later after not playing a game.

Obviously got drafted into a s**t house club at a s**t house time but not even lasting past your initial contract as a skinny KPP is mind blowing. Apparently broke down crying at training early days during preseason? Didn't seem to have too many injuries.

Found this Q&A with him on the Melbourne site from 2011;

What’s been the main message from the coaches regarding your first season at the club?

LC:
"We haven’t really set any long-term goals. I’m just trying to get used to the speed of the VFL and go from there. I’m trying to improve every game and improve every session, so I can get the best opportunity to play at the AFL level one day."

Christ, no long term goals? Sounds like you'll be here for the short term only, Lucas

Molan was a headscrather, massive reach by the club. My brother played in that Falcons superteam. Molan was nothing special at all.

Not defending the recruiting staff entirely, Blease and Strauss picks weren't great but any chance the footy gods give them a chance at making it;

Blease breaks his leg at school
Strauss - for memory was starting to show some decent footy and snaps his leg in half.

Tapscott - stuffs his hip after stepping on a sprinkler head on the ground

Even Luke Molan back in the super draft of 01 - breaks his arm and does an ACL in the same contest.

Tapscott's main problem was becoming mates with Col. Not the sort of role model a young player with talent needs.

Strauss was as vanilla as it came, even before breaking his leg he offered little.

Picked at 12 in 2010, 1 pick after Tom Lynch and 14 spots before Darling. Delisted 2 years later after not playing a game.

Obviously got drafted into a sh*t house club at a sh*t house time but not even lasting past your initial contract as a skinny KPP is mind blowing. Apparently broke down crying at training early days during preseason? Didn't seem to have too many injuries.

What’s been the main message from the coaches regarding your first season at the club?

LC:
"We haven’t really set any long-term goals. I’m just trying to get used to the speed of the VFL and go from there. I’m trying to improve every game and improve every session, so I can get the best opportunity to play at the AFL level one day."

Christ, no long term goals? Sounds like you'll be here for the short term only, Lucas

Was skillful but a player who didn't have the necessary mindset to ever become a KPF. Soft as butter.

Going back to the Daniher days, Chris Lamb was always someone I thought was hard done by the club. Still shake my head that Nicho was getting a game ahead of him as the full back. The bloke could play.

Obviously got drafted into a sh*t house club at a sh*t house time but not even lasting past your initial contract as a skinny KPP is mind blowing. Apparently broke down crying at training early days during preseason? Didn't seem to have too many injuries.

LC:

The club was pretty ordinary back then though. I think Morton and Bail gave interviews after they left saying some weeks they didn't review their individual games because none of the line coaches knew who was meant to do it.
What a development paradise!

I still remember on draft night when we picked up Lucas Cook. I still remember Kevin Sheehan saying he was suprised when cook was selected so early. I could tell from his expression that what he was really thinking wtf have Melbourne done.

With Molan I don't think he would ever had made it. I had a mate who played at Frankston he said when Molan arrived at the club he was arrogant af and just wouldn't do anything at training. Sounds like he just thought was all going to happen for him.

I still think people are harsh on Trengove, he was looking really good pre neeld. Making him captain and then failing him health wise by allowing him to play when he should've been rested. Any other club picks him he probably still playing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LC:

Anyone know what his U18 form was like? Reads like he simply had no idea of what the expectations were at AFL level, even at a s**t club like Melbourne where the players could cancel their own training sessions.

Edit: I found some U18 footage from him, granted it's only one game but it's incredibly average stuff.

The best part of that video are the two comments left below.

1595294752437.png
Poetry.

Last edited:
Looking back at highlights from that era is weird. I remember our game against Essendon in 2011 being an awesome win but watching this highlight is pretty eye-opening now:

How Essendon allowed us to move the ball so freely is appalling. We look so damn slow and made a couple of bad mistakes on the wing. Any team these days would kill that passage of play easily.

I think most of our picks in the first round have been around the mark consensus wise.

Blease and Tapscott certainly were.

Strauss, Cook and Gysberts were reaches, Gysberts more than Strauss & Cook.

From memory Cook played some good footy in the VFL under Bailey, but crumbled under Neeld.

Shame is that all showed a bit of talent at one point or another, but they were drafted for Bailey's gameplan, which was turned on it's head entirely when Neeld came to the club.

Reality being, no Neeld and a couple of those guys would have made a decent career of it - some had chances elsewhere, but the damage was done in their developmental years.

Looking back at highlights from that era is weird. I remember our game against Essendon in 2011 being an awesome win but watching this highlight is pretty eye-opening now:

How Essendon allowed us to move the ball so freely is appalling. We look so damn slow and made a couple of bad mistakes on the wing. Any team these days would kill that passage of play easily.

That Essendon team were the greatest downhill skiers you'll ever see. To be honest not much has changed. I was actually confident we would win.

Anyway I would like to be positive for a change. Was thinking about players that managed to escape from the clutches of the career ruining dees of 07-13. Stefan Martin has gone on to have a pretty good career got out in just in time imo, a year later he probably would have been lost. Even jetta was lucky roos saw something in him.

Trenners certainly looked the better of the two out of him and Scully, remember him being a very strong overhead mark, looked like he’d already played 2-3 years of AFL footy in his first year, foot injuries screwed him unfortunately.

Speaking of, I should probs change my display pic at some point.

Bit of a lazy morning so I'm rewatching the game.
Some goods that I've picked out. The times correspond to the replay in the Replay thread.

This is just the 1st quarter - might do the rest if I get the time
Video timeGame clockEvent
5:1814:49Brayshaw ragdolls T$
6:0014:08Kozzie Pickett's twinkle-toes move
8:1312:06May great kick out and Bennell's classy delivery I50
11:209:37Kozzie's great rove and 3 bounces along the wing
22:132:38Centre Bounce - Gawn2Petracca
22:272:27Petracca don't argue to T$
23:351:19Petracca pick-up that leads to a Fritsch goal

Stefan Martin has gone on to have a pretty good career got out in just in time imo, a year later he probably would have been lost. Even jetta was lucky roos saw something in him.
Funnily enough, Stef almost didn't last too long at the Lions either. There was a stage there that he and Beamer were plodding along in the NEAFL not doing much of anything, looking destined for the scrap heap. Stef got a chance a few weeks later and took it, Beamer continued to plod all the way out the door.

Funnily enough, Stef almost didn't last too long at the Lions either. There was a stage there that he and Beamer were plodding along in the NEAFL not doing much of anything, looking destined for the scrap heap. Stef got a chance a few weeks later and took it, Beamer continued to plod all the way out the door.
Stef is one of those rucks who needs a month of solo rucking to get his eye in. Did it for us in 2011 with Jamar hurt where he had a few months as the only ruck and really rose to the challenge.
Wasn't he super smart too? Doing a PhD in astrophysics or some s**t.

I still think he benefited from leaving. Beamer leaving just shows you how bad it was under neeld, he bled red and blue but by mid 2012 he already wanted out.

Stef is one of those rucks who needs a month of solo rucking to get his eye in. Did it for us in 2011 with Jamar hurt where he had a few months as the only ruck and really rose to the challenge.
Wasn't he super smart too? Doing a PhD in astrophysics or some sh*t.
Got a 99.75 VCE and did a science/law doubled degree.

My god I forgot that Kozzie rove on the wing. He adds so much to our attack. Turns half chances into really potent forrays forward given his ball handling and pace. We now have some pace up front to exploit plays like that too

there was one play where he sorta didn’t have a possession but scrapped and a a ragged it forward for like 60m through the guts which missed me live the guy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back