Preview Round 11 Carlton vs West Coast @ Optus Stadium Sunday 9th August 3.35pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That was likely identified last year and Newnes taken on to fill this gap.
None of us see Newnes as being the answer amongst this current group, but maybe O'Brien simply doesn't represent the better value, for now.
It's easy to want a player out, bit someone has to come in that will be better...and hoping doesn't count.

We still have some way to go before we know what our best team will look like and having the likes of CCurnow, Marchbank, Dow, Fisher, Kreuzer, Kemp, Newman etc largely unavailable this year, hasn't served us well.
I agree Harks and I’m one that doesn’t necessarily want Newnes out as I think he is playing his role and I think the wing role is the reason that some have a problem rather than the player playing that role, whether they agree is again down to opinion.

I agree but again Macca our wings are told to keep there width and not get sucked into the stoppage so not a lot of area to gather contested possessions, I just think it has more to do with the role than the player, as for Lachie I said perceived lack and I think he has really worked hard to rectify this and would love to see him given a go as I think he would do well but given the role I’m not sure how much better his numbers would be.
His disposal numbers from his last 10 game last year were better than Newnes 9 this year.

How do we know they won't be better if we don't try? 14-16 a side scratch matches (plus only having 2 of them in the past week) can only tell you so much, at some point you have to take a punt.

One still has to make that decision on the strength of what shows up at training/main match/scratch matches.
I cannot make a claim that O'Brien should be preferred over Newnes on the strength of.......what I haven't seen and it doesn't sound as though O'Brien is exactly lightning things up right now, anyway.

TDK over Moore is an easy call and made even easier of we need ruck relief.
O'Brien over Newnes, is not quite that easy.....and it doesn't have to be O'Brien either, right?

What I know is that we haven't an ideal season and haven't had ideal outcomes by way of injury either.
Maybe if Newman was up and about he may have replaced Newnes...I don't know. Maybe Marchbank...I don't know either. Maybe Dow or Fisher?

It will change but it has to change at the right time also. Next week? :)

O'brien as a 19 yo Under Teague last year went 15, 17, 18, 9,11,16,9,8,18,10 - 10 game, 3 times under 10 possessions but 4 times over 15 (plus a 15) and the other stats I quoted are pretty similar to Newnes. Sure our game plan seems to make it hard for the wingmen but I don't think you could say Newnes is doing the best possible job.
Don’t get me wrong Newnes has his deficiencies and his errors in defence do my head in, also he has a tendency to go to ground far to easily and is not great below his knees, as witnessed in the 2nd Qtr against the Dawks in the middle of the ground, * me dead pick up the *in ball and keep your *in feet, and yes long term we need much better wings and I have been calling for it for a while especially on the right hand side, do we have someone to play better more consistent week on week footy? I’m not sure at this stage but I hope so and I would like to see Lachie given a go on the left and switch Walsh to his more natural right and I think that is what we will see in the next block of games, at least I hope we do.

And game styles which has changed between Bolton and Teague especially wing role.

Last 11 games were under Teague though, so I get why that was used as parameters for the comparison.

Comparing purely on disposal numbers whilst ignoring the reduced quarters is pretty silly though.

Don’t get me wrong Newnes has his deficiencies and his errors in defence do my head in, also he has a tendency to go to ground far to easily and is not great below his knees, as witnessed in the 2nd Qtr against the Dawks in the middle of the ground, fu** me dead pick up the fu**in ball and keep your fu**in feet, and yes long term we need much better wings and I have been calling for it for a while especially on the right hand side, do we have someone to play better more consistent week on week footy? I’m not sure at this stage but I hope so and I would like to see Lachie given a go on the left and switch Walsh to his more natural right and I think that is what we will see in the next block of games, at least I hope we do.

I figure at a minimum, LOB will provide equal output.
But the potential upside is significant.

I figure at a minimum, LOB will provide equal output.
But the potential upside is significant.
I agree there is huge upside with LOB and I hope to hell he can deliver as it will make us a much better side offensively and defensively, whether he can provide equal out put at the moment is anyone’s guess, he did have some really good games earlier in the scratch matches but has seemed to taper off of late which is expected of a younger player but also might be the reason that he hasn’t been selected as yet.

Did I suggest that is was THE reason we got destroyed? Nope. Was it part of the reason, for sure.

But if you look at what I said "The point is valid to a degree" The "point" being was can one player make another player better or, conversely, an one player not doing their role negatively impact anothers ability to do theirs) and "to a degree" being at least partially it is hardly a controversial statement.

"He's meant to be the defensive winger" All the talk when he came here was he wanted to stop being used defensively. Given this and the fact that no one is able to get to the games is it possible that those defending Newnes have simply decided he isn't a dud and using the "defensive wing" role as justification for the worst stats of this career in almost every department?
I get the point and it's correct but it was setterfield and kennedy's failures (and others) at the contest vs Hawthorn. That was the reason we got beaten and it's the reason there was no clean outside ball for newnes (and walsh and others)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Newnes has hit the scoreboard, this should not be discounted.

He has kicked a couple of good goals this year. Basically his only saving grace.

But let's not overstate his goals last week. They were both pretty much Setterfield's goals. The 1st one Setterfield "Joe the Goose'd" a handball to Newnes in the square. The 2nd one Newnes took a freekick advantage kick off the ground from a Setterfield tackle freekick 12 metres out. Other than that he got 4 possessions for the match. I'd be pretty sure that besides the 2 goals he had more fumbles than possessions.

He has kicked a couple of good goals this year. Basically his only saving grace.

But let's not overstate his goals last week. They were both pretty much Setterfield's goals. The 1st one Setterfield "Joe the Goose'd" a handball to Newnes in the square. The 2nd one Newnes took a freekick advantage kick off the ground from a Setterfield tackle freekick 12 metres out. Other than that he got 4 possessions for the match. I'd be pretty sure that besides the 2 goals he had more fumbles than possessions.

Until someone forces the MC's hand as being clearly the better alternative, we'll have Newnes in the team.....whether we like it or not.

We can debate things until the cows come home (I had to say that) but it won't amount to much. Just don't play Newnes back, is the best I can offer.

Until someone forces the MC's hand as being clearly the better alternative, we'll have Newnes in the team.....whether we like it or not.

We can debate things until the cows come home (I had to say that) but it won't amount to much. Just don't play Newnes back, is the best I can offer.

That's the bottom line. We have Newnes playing until we don't have Newnes playing. We don't have Fisher or LOB playing until we do have them playing. By dang, we have Moore playing, let's not even go there:D

Newnes just seems like one of those blokes that must keep doing his best work offield and with the coaches. Anyone who has been in a sporting club knows the type. They do everything right during the week......and then the siren sounds on matchday. lol. Zaharakis at * comes to mind.

Anyways, as everyone knows, we sit and wait for better. We are going to get better, it's just by how much, and how soon. It's an interesting journey. AFL is tough. It aint easy.

The first goal was his running capacity that got him there though...Setts was about to be tackled and was 50/50 to kick it himself...Newnes created the option for a 100% shot...

If players get occasional goals like this, you can call it 'lucky', 'right place/right time' etc...Newnes has proven a consistent ability to get himself into positions to score goals...

I am not the captain of the "I love Newnes" fan club by the way, just think he has done a reasonable job and, like the poster said above, his ability to consistently hit the scoreboard shouldn't be discounted, no matter how he gets them...

That's the bottom line. We have Newnes playing until we don't have Newnes playing. We don't have Fisher or LOB playing until we do have them playing. By dang, we have Moore playing, let's not even go there:D

Newnes just seems like one of those blokes that must keep doing his best work offield and with the coaches. Anyone who has been in a sporting club knows the type. They do everything right during the week......and then the siren sounds on matchday. lol. Zaharakis at * comes to mind.

Anyways, as everyone knows, we sit and wait for better. We are going to get better, it's just by how much, and how soon. It's an interesting journey. AFL is tough. It aint easy.

There are many Newnes-type foot soldiers spread across clubs.
For us right now, we don't have enough 'prime movers' to allow the foot soldiers to make good.

We must get this midfield of ours nailed down next year and have options that when one is down, another can take control.
We have so many names......yet so few certainties, for now. For me, Setterfield, Dow and Fisher must come on and come on quickly and after that, the foot soldiers will be the least of our concerns.

I don't get the hate for Newnes either.
It's not hate. There are a bunch of guys getting named by the majority that they'd prefer to see dropped. Newnes is just the one that people kick a stink up about saying he deserves his spot still. Murphy Newnes cunners Kennedy, hell the whole midfield should rightly be copping it this week.

Ironically I think brad hill has been the worst performed of all the st kilda recruits this year.

Honestly what's happening with Newnes around here is people have already decided that he's a dud, and then just inventing reasons to arrive at that conclusion.

Yes, players running off the ball creates space and gives the ball carrier options and can open up the game plan. To suggest that newnes not doing that was the reason the midfield got destroyed vs hawthorn is an absolute reach to put it mildly.

I'd be willing to bet he'd be in our top 3-4 players each weak for ground covered. He's meant to be the defensive winger, the fact that he gets goals nearly every game is virtue of his hard running.
So the fact that he's a defensive winger and our midfield is being destroyed by quick transition making our defense struggle every week doesn't ring any alarm bells? His direct opponents are the people delivering I50s repeatedly every week. Yes, it's not just him, it's the whole midfield but trying to write a narrative saying he's been good is just wrong. He's been bog ordinary all season EXCEPT When he's been played in the f50. Where he's actually been quite good.

We could mention a fair few last week that didn't get many touches after qtr time, some of which were at the coal face

9 games, 3 with under 10 touches, none with more than 15, averaging 2 clangers a game and 2.3 turnovers. Only averaging 3.3 contested possessions and 1.9 tackles. Statistically nearly every stat is at a career low (by a long way).

Hard to say the criticism is unjustified.

There’s certainly an element of trust between the coaches that we don’t fully understand. He probably receives multitudes of tasks and instructions per game and achieve those KPIs.

He reminds a bit like Mitch Robinson a bit. Will give his all, puts his head and over the ball but has brain fades from time to time. But what makes up for his mistakes stands out the most (for me) is the bloody mongrel in him...and from what I’ve seen thus far, an absolutely team player.

Hope he continues to do well and improves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back