Autopsy Shameful game V Dees - tell it like it is right here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Shaw: The message to the players was that it wasn’t acceptable and it’s not what we’re about as a footy club. I expect to see some fight and adherence as a response. Our young guys are going to get plenty of opportunity in the next few weeks.

It's going to get worse as a spectacle before it gets better.

It’s a bad night and a bad season, no question.

Silver lining for me tonight compared to these type of losses in previous years is the kids we finally now have. We add to that the next two drafts and we will be in an okay place.

For me, these losses would be a lot harder to stomach if we didn’t have the likes of Simpkin, Larkey, TT, LDU, Scott, McKay, Bonar, Zurhaar, Taylor, Mahoney, Hayden running around. We finally now have a solid young core, those that think it’s enough though are mistaken. Need to keep pumping games into these kids, add more through the draft, and we will improve.

So what would you say about how we've performed this season, then?

Pretty happy. We're doing what we absolutely need to do, which is to put the kids in positions of responsibility.

It's going to be the difference this year between finishing bottom 4 (as will happen) and finishing 11th - but making the kids responsible fast tracks their maturity and has the added advantage of working out which of our older players have a future in a new generation.

It's exactly what I was hoping for this year.

It’s a bad night and a bad season, no question.

Silver lining for me tonight compared to these type of losses in previous years is the kids we finally now have. We add to that the next two drafts and we will be in an okay place.

For me, these losses would be a lot harder to stomach if we didn’t have the likes of Simpkin, Larkey, TT, LDU, Scott, McKay, Bonar, Zurhaar, Taylor, Mahoney, Hayden running around. We finally now have a solid young core, those that think it’s enough though are mistaken. Need to keep pumping games into these kids, add more through the draft, and we will improve.
This is funny and ive seen people say same bullshit last 20 years.

I think we all need to take a chill pill and have faith in Brady Rawlings, he built an amazing list at the eagles.

We have plenty on the books from the Scott era that will be cleaned out at the end of the year and besides the short turn around, that's why they're playing tonight. I think Shaw wants to see if Durdin can cut it etc.

On a positive, LDU will be our next superstar that we haven't had since Carey. We've had some very good players, but not one superstar. The way he moves through the packs is Chris Judd like.

Lol. Chasing slow blokes who can't kick. Yeah that'll work. That's not solving our problem - that is our problem.

They improve our existing 22 significantly, only a football moron would claim otherwise.

Do you think this club can endure another 4 years of this? I have some ****ing news for you in that case.

Pretty happy. We're doing what we absolutely need to do, which is to put the kids in positions of responsibility.

It's going to be the difference this year between finishing bottom 4 (as will happen) and finishing 11th - but making the kids responsible fast tracks their maturity and has the added advantage of working out which of our older players have a future in a new generation.

It's exactly what I was hoping for this year.
No qualms about the gameplan, then? Granted, tonight was a better gameplan in my view than the usual long-bomb down the line crap, but there are still worries. A lot of our players are aimlessly wandering around with no confidence or intent about where they're gonna move the ball next. I think it's great we're playing the kids, but I'm worried about the lack of structure and, quite frankly, the guidance from the coaches box. The skill errors I can forgive, that will fix up with experience as the team gets better, but the players constantly look in two minds with the ball, and that to me is a worry.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Worst year to be on the bottom of the ladder btw

All the draft picks have played no footy this year! It’s going to be a complete and utter sh*t show. Even if we get a good player he’s going to be injured the first 3-4 years with a entire year of no conditioning

Means we might fluke into picking a decent player!

I would love to know what the conversation was at the team meeting.

Gawn is out, let’s exploit it.

I know, let’s put the number 1 ruckman In the league on the wing.

FFS that is desperate under 13 level sh*t. The whole coaching group should be suspended for 2 weeks for that decision. Let Taz take over and play a Captain Coach.
Why would you want the leading clearance player in the league in at centre bounces?

Mind boggling stuff

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

No qualms about the gameplan, then? Granted, tonight was a better gameplan in my view than the usual long-bomb down the line crap, but there are still worries. A lot of our players are aimlessly wandering around with no confidence or intent about where they're gonna move the ball next. I think it's great we're playing the kids, but I'm worried about the lack of structure and, quite frankly, the guidance from the coaches box. The skill errors I can forgive, that will fix up with experience as the team gets better, but the players constantly look in two minds with the ball, and that to me is a worry.

Yep, I'm sure the midfield are really going to develop well when they stream through the middle only to hit a paddock of nothing, to get mown down by the opposition after 4 seconds of foot stuttering.

I liken our rebuild to me finally throwing things out i have had stored for years, some even new and useful. We have so many players on our list that have been stored away through either injury or no spot in the seniors as it is covered, and then there is the players in the senior team who we all thought would get better and taken us to the next level , but just haven't. It is time to do the hard thing and do a big cleanout , it will not be pretty either and quite sad to see some of them go as they have bled for our club.

We flogged Richmond, Collingwood, Port Adelaide, St Kilda and came mighty close against Brisbane this time last year.

People can cry about the 'necessity' of rebuilding but I find it incredibly hard to believe that we can turn out this tripe and have it passed off as not trying to win because our list is bottom 3. It sounds like a scramble to retrospectively rationalise a complete fu** up of a year.
Still with the 'great wins of 2019' line ....cranking it up that our 12th placed position last year was really... 'better than what it was....we really are a top 8 side....' nonsense.

You have to get over it - s**t teams can play the occasional good games - especially with a new coach - it happens every year and that's what we did and that's why I said we would finish 12th this year.

And we have regressed more than I thought - we are bottom 2-4 side now. Either we rebuild heavily as I said we needed to do 3 years ago ...or we will be the Adelaide of 2020 in 2023.

The time for wishful thinking and 'retrospectively rationalising' is over - it's time to accept we are no good and forge a path forward from here.

I'm all for needing to take some medicine and spending a few years at the bottom so we can build for a premiership.

But this current team is embarrassing. It's one thing to lack skill, and structure can get lost when the skill level is that bad. But that last quarter was a team that lost it's spirit. They were beaten and they gave up. Collectively there isn't a single redeeming feature about this team. They are poor footballers being poorly coached with a poor attitude.

Disgraceful.

They improve our existing 22 significantly, only a football moron would claim otherwise.

Do you think this club can endure another 4 years of this? I have some ****ing news for you in that case.

Chasing players like the Crouch brothers is wallpaper over the cracks. Exactly the type of move Scott pulled that landed us guys like Anderson and Polec.

We need to rebuild from the bottom up through the draft to give the supporters some hope that we've got some potential stars to build around. Look what Port Adelaide and Brisbane have done. There's no other choice unless we want another 10 years of mediocrity as we continually finish mid-table.

It took all of my will power to not go and smash on the coaches box and give them a right serve. If we have no idea how to create space on the switch then it’s obvious we aren’t being coached.

Think I’ll start a Bring Back Brad thread.

We are ducking appalling.
Feel for ya dude. No wins in Adelaide since 2011?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back