Oppo Camp Brodie Grundy (Traded to Melbourne 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t believe in Million dollar rucks.

You can pick up a Nank or Witts for nothing in the draft and have your superstars elsewhere.
Has there ever been a million dollar ruck before? At his best, Grundy is worth it, and up until this season he has delivered. I reckon he will bounce back next season and lift his game even further.

Oh rightio.

so what part of the season was he injured.? Against Essendon when he lost to a battler? Or more recently?

Prior to the big contract, I was a huge Grundy fan. But holding out for 7 years, I thought was the wrong thing to do. Hard to build a successful team when one players holds out for so much.

He's been carrying something since the Richmond game. Long time to be carrying a team eh?

Rance was and still IS overrated (almost like SOS was)...Trav Cloke used to ragdoll Rance, even Coxy kicked goals on him and JDG did as well. Rance was made to look better than he ever was by the players around him, strangely enough the same players that are making Rance's absence irrelevant. Grimes, Vlastuin and Astbury....they're the real gun defenders. Rance was the team's joker.
I agree but it’s just another example of a bloke on 1 million a year missing the GF and the side winning

He's been carrying something since the Richmond game. Long time to be carrying a team eh?

Extremely long time.

I am surprised he was not rested during that month where we played Sydney, Adelaide etc. You don’t want to break your 7 year investment in year 1.

I don’t get why he jumps so early at the centre bounce. Is it an injury management issue?

It's to initiate contact if he can so that the other ruckman either helps lift Grundy as he himself jumps or to restrict the oppo ruck's jump.
He is seriously limited by this technique though because he has to initiate contact with his left leg and his right arm, meaning he is 95% of the time trying to palm the ball left handed. Its a centre bounce problem, around the ground he is still able to body opponents and take the punishment required to win contests (and he palms with both hands).

I'm hoping that this time we play WCE that Cox takes at least 50% of the centre bounces so that Nic Nat gets a look at a different strategy and has to adjust. Cox can worry Nic Nat in the air but the follow up is where Cox would be caught out.

Extremely long time.

I am surprised he was not rested during that month where we played Sydney, Adelaide etc. You don’t want to break your 7 year investment in year 1.

Maybe "they" or the boy himself thought that after the investment they'd made in him...that they'd be criticised for NOT playing the 7 million dollar man???

It's to initiate contact if he can so that the other ruckman either helps lift Grundy as he himself jumps or to restrict the oppo ruck's jump.
He is seriously limited by this technique though because he has to initiate contact with his left leg and his right arm, meaning he is 95% of the time trying to palm the ball left handed. Its a centre bounce problem, around the ground he is still able to body opponents and take the punishment required to win contests (and he palms with both hands).

I'm hoping that this time we play WCE that Cox takes at least 50% of the centre bounces so that Nic Nat gets a look at a different strategy and has to adjust. Cox can worry Nic Nat in the air but the follow up is where Cox would be caught out.
Excellent summary! I wish he would just try and jump for the ball at its highest point.

Maybe "they" or the boy himself thought that after the investment they'd made in him...that they'd be criticised for NOT playing the 7 million dollar man???

Possibly.... who knows lol

i am pretty confident if he stays we will get 7 years out of him. The question is, how many will be good years?

Hopefully, I am wrong and next season he leads us to a premiership.

Obviously Grundy's tap work this season has been poor, but it's hard to imagine we simply send him out there and tell him to just put the ball where he feels. There would be set plans on where he is going to tap the ball and where midfielders should be, but this obviously is breaking down somewhere.

Not even in the AA squad is a wake up call for him. People will continue to focus on his lack of effectiveness until he fixes his actual rucking / clearance skills, and rediscovers his around the ground marking etc

and they actually get a Ruck Coach that can Help Him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Obviously Grundy's tap work this season has been poor, but it's hard to imagine we simply send him out there and tell him to just put the ball where he feels. There would be set plans on where he is going to tap the ball and where midfielders should be, but this obviously is breaking down somewhere.
He taps exactly where the midfielders are. Just not ours.:eek:

I know it’s at the end of the match and the result is beyond question by this time, but have a look at the contest after the throw in that occurs with 1:57 left in the last quarter. The ball is still in play, there to be won, and Grundy basically needed a walking frame and a PCA to get back on his feet and even walk toward the play. He’s knackered.

I know it’s at the end of the match and the result is beyond question by this time, but have a look at the contest after the throw in that occurs with 1:57 left in the last quarter. The ball is still in play, there to be won, and Grundy basically needed a walking frame and a PCA to get back on his feet and even walk toward the play. He’s knackered.

The last quarter was interesting. I thought he lifted his intensity in the last quarter and was better than the first 3.

Grundy currently sits 13th on the all time list for total hit outs. Still only 26.
IT DOESNT F*CKING MATTER IF 15% OF TAPS DONT GO TO ADVANTAGE!!

Please stop quoting these stats if you think they justify his price tag. The fact that he had 70+ taps in the 18 GF that we’re mostly ineffective is a topic of humor within the industry. But since people called it out, it’s like Bucks refuses to fix it.

don’t get me wrong, love the guy and when on song he dominates around the ground and with his pressure, but he isn’t atm, and his tap work has gone backwards on 2019

Grundy currently sits 13th on the all time list for total hit outs. Still only 26.
Quite honestly, I’d be happy if he got half as many as he does.
Focus more on the taps that result in a centre clearance and/or a goal.
He needs to “use more of the compass”.

I don't understand why he hasn't been instructed to get the attempted finesse out of his game, as he doesn't truly have it and it doesn't work. This is irrespective of form.

He should be grabbing the ball from stoppages where possible and either kick it forward or handball if not possible.

Except off course on those occasions when he does and it does....

Needs to get the slow, short kicks out of his game when he marks or gets a free kick. It is just poor and snookers us. No immediate option means a kick to a contest taking territory.

Except off course for those occasions when he has to wait to get the footy before he's able to do anything at all.

I doubt any other club would have given him 7 years and we were stupid to cave. As for being no1 priority, no, JDG should have been no1, Moore no2, Grundy no3.

But for anyone saying he’s got credit in the bank, the most concerning thing for anyone is when a player has a shocking year as soon as he’s signed his lifelong contract. He’s got nothing left to play for, you see it often players ha e a big year, sign a contract then drop off.

Trouble here is he won’t have another good year to earn a good contract because he’ll be done at the end of this one.

7 year contracts make zero sense, people complained about 5 year contracts for Copeland trophy winners!

That may well be the case but no other club was likely to get his signature for what we paid for anything more than a 5 year deal. Trading off time and security for reduced annual TPP impact is not uncommon.

I got a notification of this. Grundy did the same except with Dixon on Monday 😂

The Dixon occurrence is a bit overstated. He had Pendles there at his feet. Just unfortunate that Pendles was restrained (by Dursma from memory) from getting to the footy and there wasn't anyone else between Dixon and the goals. That he had an open run to kick the goal says as much about our set up as Grundy's ruck work. Benefit of hindsight I'd certainly prefer that he smacked the footy 20-30m away from the goal square.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back