List Mgmt. 2020 Trade and List Management Thread III

Remove this Banner Ad

The Kangaroos acquired picks 26, 33 and the Demons’ future 4th round selection (currently tied to the Brisbane Lions) in exchange for Brown, pick 28 and its future 4th rounder.

“We’ve been working on securing a deal that was in the best interest of the club,” North list manager Glenn Luff said.

“We’ve managed to slide up the draft order and we’ve also added another pick which was important to us.

“Securing picks 23 and 33 means we’ve moved two spots and can bring in another player, plus it allows us more flexibility and the ability to further invest in the draft.”

Brown played 130 games for the Kangaroos and booted 287 goals since being drafted in 2013.

“Ben has been a great contributor and a great ambassador on and off the field and we wish him, Hester and Aila well,” he added.

I think I see where we went wrong... :p

Agree its unders but clearly the list management team like Larkey more for the long term and have decided after this season that they dont want to play with 2 giants in the forward line so made the decision to move Brown on. Sad to see him go but i do get why we are investing in Larkey instead

Doubt Melbourne, after a medical, give him 4 years if his knee is THAT bad.

I'd say the bigger concern for us was his response to increased physicality from his defender, there may be a sense that BBB has been "worked out".

The one sure thing is that you can't judge the trade now. We'll probably get hammered if the deal mentioned goes through, it does look bad on paper. However if he's playing seconds for Melbourne in a couple of seasons time, no one's really going to rewind and go back and give us our plaudits.

I don't think it's necessarily a knee thing (although we'll always be mindful of his issues there) but something as simple as we're rebuilding and we don't want to be retiring a key forward just as we anticipate entering a finals run.

As for the trade Melbourne got a significant discount for 2020 form. He might go gangbusters in 2021 for the Dees (which doesn't really affect us) but he also might equally continue his current form and we'll be cheering this decision. We just won't know for a year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not great.

The writing was on the wall after that statement we released. I'd love to know who authorised it, because it was a rookie mistake.

Everything has come to fruition that we thought after that.

Some similarities to the Hale and Gibson deals with this one.

As nice a guy as Ben is, hopefully his Melbourne career amounts to nothing but mediocrity.

I want their 2021 first rounder if we take on Phillips AND Stephenson.

Pick 71 for Phillips, Stephenson and their 2021 First Rounder.

We would be getting Collingwood out of the biggest TPP hole of the last decade.
I’d be cheeky and asking for Treloar and Stephenson at that price..

So if we believe that Brown's knee is cooked then we've just got a decent enough return. Melbourne fans love to wax lyrical about how great their medical team is, but if a knee is shot then a knee is shot.

If we give one of the 2nds for Stephenson and then the other two to Footscray for 14, we end up with (plus Corr as a FA):

IN - 14 + Stephenson + Young
OUT - Higgins, Brown, 28 + 63

I think that's much easier to stomach as a whole. Clearly looking to the future and we end up with a great hand for the draft with three first rounders and a few high-ceiling youngsters coming in for our aging veterans.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back