Welcome 2018 draft pick 52: Welcome to Hawthorn Jacob Koschitzke

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe but Lewis looked good the week prior against far better opposition. Kosi was rarely sighted that day but after kicking six his team mates are going to look for him more often id guess.

The six goals makes people notice. The things I liked about his performance were his forward pressure and reliable kicking for goal. If he keeps those up he offers something that our other talls don't offer to such a high level. I don't see him as our key position target yet. He can mark when one on one but when body contact was applied early or in a pack situation he was a bit lost. Not a knock, he can work on that. Liked what he offered and a lock for round 1 for me.

The six goals makes people notice. The things I liked about his performance were his forward pressure and reliable kicking for goal. If he keeps those up he offers something that our other talls don't offer to such a high level. I don't see him as our key position target yet. He can mark when one on one but when body contact was applied early or in a pack situation he was a bit lost. Not a knock, he can work on that. Liked what he offered and a lock for round 1 for me.
He's kicked 6.3. Whens the last time we had someone have 9 shots on goal? Could've had an absolute haul. He's locked for r1 now. Nothing surer.

Can't wait for the day that we can talk about Kossie and not bring up Mossie.

Also can't wait for the day we can talk about another forward and not refer back to TOB
Probably the same day we can talk about Kennedy and not have 4 pages of arguments about whether he was pushed/let go, or who he should’ve been playing ahead of at the time. 😒

But yeah, Kosi.... there’s a lot to like about his mobility. He hits the ball at pace, and when it’s on the deck he’s also pretty dangerous for a bloke who is 196cm. He needs to build on Saturday’s match and keep presenting, because he’s going to completely change the dynamic of our forward half if he can continue to move the way he did on Saturday.

Agreed. His pace, agility, aggression and second efforts all looked superior to anything Lewis has dished up. Not a great day for Lewis to miss through injury. Could be your classic sliding doors

They can definitely play in the same side and I think they'd compliment each other when in form. In 2019 across half a season, Lewis was 4th in the league for contested marks per game. He's pretty relentless working up and back for those marks, too. That's a skill Kosi hasn't shown yet, and a skill that can drag bigger bodies away from Kosi.

Kosi would be pretty ineffective if he's isolated against the opposition's bigger defenders in a clogged forwardline, so you need guys like Lewis (and O'Brien, Ceglar etc) stretching out the defense so Kosi can find himself with good matchups like he did against North (and quick ball movement is probably more important than all of that).

There might not be anything better for Kosi's prospects in 2021 than a confident, in-form Lewis. I just hope Lewis has worked hard on the mental side of his game over the pre-season, to get the best out of himself this year.

The real hurdle for either player is O'Brien who is a consistent, known quantity. If they don't show enough to dislodge Timmy (during an explicit 'development period'), then that's on them to improve and grab that 22 spot.

He's kicked 6.3. Whens the last time we had someone have 9 shots on goal? Could've had an absolute haul. He's locked for r1 now. Nothing surer.
Well the other key forwards, Lewis, Obrien, nash* and jeka have never kicked 6 against afl or vfl opponents.

O'Brien in an intraclub doesn't count its not a real contest.

*nash not a key forward really, though he should be.

Jarryd Roughead, Rd 3 in 2015. Not counting OOF because they don't have stats for that.

Seriously, neither Gunston nor Breust have had 9 shots on goal resulting in goals and behinds in a match.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lewis has never had a day out like this

Yep. People can say what they want about the quality of opposition but he still worked hard to get those goals and opportunities. That work rate will translate to creating opportunities regardless of the opposition.

The last time someone equalled or bettered 9 scoring shots was Jarryd Roughead in Rnd 3 2015 with 10 scoring shots (7.3)

Luke Breust's best is 8 scoring shots: rnd 16 2018 (6.2) and rnd 10 2013 (5.3)
Jack Gunston's best is also 8, in rnds 8 and 20 of 2018 (both with 5.3)

Yep. People can say what they want about the quality of opposition but he still worked hard to get those goals and opportunities. That work rate will translate to creating opportunities regardless of the opposition.
The 6 goals were great but the highlight was the commitment and courage to run back and make that spoil on the wing!!

The 6 goals were great but the highlight was the commitment and courage to run back and make that spoil on the wing!!
That's the thing that would get big brownie points with Clarko. Outstanding after all his effort to get a shot on goal moments earler.

He will have days where he puts in exactly the same effort without reward, but he showed that, apart from being a big KPF, he works tirelessly, he is extremely fast for a guy his size, and he has a hunger to win the contest.

Exciting development...and a reminder that things can change a lot quicker than expected.

An uninterrupted preason. A move to the forward line and the physical and football improvement is staggering. I had him in the top 3 best performed track workers about 3 weeks in a row. He has worked really hard and is reaping his rewards. Well done keep that hunger its a long season

Sounded to me like Craig McRea is already having a positive influence, from what Kosi said post-match. Seems to have all our forwards kicking goals!

I was genuinely a bit confused as to why we made McRae our forward line coach when he seemed to be one of the best development coaches in the league, looks like a good choice at this stage though. Probably helps to work with the younger lads.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back