Player Watch Pick #18 (2016) - Sam Powell-Pepper

Remove this Banner Ad

Got lost down a rabbit hole reading about Paul Northeast and ended up at this article.

Got me thinking how good Port has been over the years helping guys like Northa and Hodges etc get their life back on track.

There is something about a clearly defined mission and purpose like "we exist to win premierships" that can give direction to the lost when it is supported by a genuine care.

Hopefully we can do the same with a couple of this modern lot.

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Honestly I don’t expect to see SPP in the league side for quite a while. He’ll have to come back and get some proper match conditioning in at SANFL level for a few weeks at least.

All of that does not matter though. I’ll just be happy he’s back at the footy club doing what he loves

Drew stays in mofos. He's a genuine ball winner. I love SPP but he does not rack up the possessions.
I rate Drew as well but I think Sam Powell Pepper has more impact on matches. His intensity around the contest is crucial when the going gets tough and he has improved considerably in his decision making. Also good for 15-20 goals a season.

I rate Drew as well but I think Sam Powell Pepper has more impact on matches. His intensity around the contest is crucial when the going gets tough and he has improved considerably in his decision making. Also good for 15-20 goals a season.

Its not one or the other for me. The midfield is probably our weakest area. Boak/Wines/Drew/SPP is the way forward.

He's going to have to smash a few SANFL suckers before he gets a look back in at the AFL level though. Happy smashing, SPP.

Its not one or the other for me. The midfield is probably our weakest area. Boak/Wines/Drew/SPP is the way forward.
I agree and Drew or SPP will have to be the 5th rotation as Butters is a lock in the midfield now. He has qualities we haven't had in the midfield since Robbie Gray was a regular mid and Peter Burgoyne back in the day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Drew has about a month to really nail the spot.
If it’s Drew? Sometime between now and then I’d be thinking a spot is going to open up and we’ll work something else out.

That’s the question. There are not many, if any, options to drop after Farrell and Bergman. If not Drew, who? Motlop?
If it is between SPP and Drew it's SPP every day of the week and twice on Sundays!
Drew has done well, but he is nowhere near SPP levels when at his best.

I agree and Drew or SPP will have to be the 5th rotation as Butters is a lock in the midfield now. He has qualities we haven't had in the midfield since Robbie Gray was a regular mid and Peter Burgoyne back in the day.
If Rozee starts to shine as a mid the squeeze will REALLY be on

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

Drew stays in mofos. He's a genuine ball winner. I love SPP but he does not rack up the possessions.

Yeah right, well, I don't mind Drew too much but he's definitely no a genuine ball winner at this stage. SPP currently averages more possesions than Drew and averages similar tackles but has the advantage of serious breakaway power and aggression that scares oppo players. If it's achoice between the too, I'm choosing SPP

Remove this Banner Ad

Back