Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 4 vs. GWS, MCG Sat 10/04 @ 7:25pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you're suffering from dojo confusion. You've found yourself in the disciplined robotic no mercy dojo - Buckleys dojo, but you're sometimes talking as though you're from Mr Miyagis creative flair dojo.

What has every warrior known since the beginning of time.. conquer your fear.. and you can accomplish anything. Anything. That s**t is a *en constant.. doesn't matter what dojo you represent.

So which players did impact the game on Saturday? Did any of our young guys provide any glimmers of hope for the future?
All I know is the report on our website. Best listed as Cameron, Macrae, Greenwood, Pulter, Wilson, Lynch.

Other comments

Henry showed athletism but had a frustrating game
Kelly found it difficult to get into the game

All I know is the report on our website. Best listed as Cameron, Macrae, Greenwood, Pulter, Wilson, Lynch.

Other comments

Henry showed athletism but had a frustrating game
Kelly found it difficult to get into the game
Bolded for Mayne,Madge,Thomas,WHE, and i would strongly consider Mccreery for Brown . love to see these changes

Which younger players in particular? Very little exposed competitive form (practice matches really don't count) with the latest recruits and no VFL last year.

AFL have really stuffed up why a mid April start for the VFL?

I believe that those players that you may be thinking of will have their day as there are at least three spots ready to be taken from the seniors team.

I would like to see more of Macrae, Henry, Ruscoe, Cameron and Kelly for starters. I know all of them can't play in the side together but we have to pump some games into them.

I currently see us going backward with the same group we have relied on over the past 3-4 seasons, which is pretty illogical. If we are in a genuine list rebuild then let's actually see some kids to see whether they are up to it or not.

I look at a period like 2004-2005 where Malthouse pumped games into a lot of young players, some who became long term stars (Swan, T Cloke, H Shaw, Harry O, Maxwell) and others who didn't quite make it for a variety of reasons (C Cloke, Rusling, Iaccobucci, Rowe, Fanning, Egan) and see a whole bunch of young players coming through who are willing to take the game on and prove that they deserve to get another game / play at AFL level. Instead I fear 2021 is a bit like 2020 where we will just keep trying to bank wins to finish mid-table with the same blokes time and time again.

I'd be more inclined to give the 5-10 lads wanting a game a pair of chopsticks each.. and get em to try and catch a fly with em.. whoever catches the fly first.. gets a gig.. cause according to an Okinawan proverb.. that has stood the test of time.. man who catches fly with chopstick.. accomplish anything.

I think you're suffering from dojo confusion. You've found yourself in the disciplined robotic no mercy dojo - Buckleys dojo, but you're sometimes talking as though you're from Mr Miyagis creative flair dojo.

Wotta ya want me to say re? Tooooo much advantage.. yooooorrrr.. dojo

Wotta ya want me to say re? Tooooo much advantage.. yooooorrrr.. dojo

Man who catch fly with chopstick accomplish anything.

Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.

Last time we won a premiership it was becasue the ox is slow but the earth is patient. Not the fear and mercy stuff from your dojo - that's Buckley stuff.

No, I don't want to tank, but I'd just like to see some younger players come into the side who have a dollop of creative flair with an instinct to take the game on and play with no fear.
All very fine but too many at once creates an experience vacuum which won't give them a good match day experience.

But the biggest overriding factor is only one of our new recruits had any football time at all last season and there still hasn't been a full on VFL game yet.

I'm excited at the prospect of new kids coming through but I temper that with realistic expectations - look at what happened to Henry - the poor kid got thrashed which wouldn't do his confidence any good at all.

Give them a chance to get some games under their belt before throwing them in the deep end.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Question for the guru: Gimpy:

Which does a kids confidence more damage do you think? Playing them too early (whatever that means?) or not playing them and having them watch older players bad habits/attitudes?

Every player I've ever seen played a first game sometime. And they all were probably nervous and wondering whether they would cut it or not....(OK so maybe Phil Carmen didn't think like that but everybody else does!). We've become too precious with kid's temperaments don't you think? If they're fit enough and they display the right traits (discipline, selflessness, courage, game smarts, general skills) then give them a go.

Very important game this one could either set us up for the next say 5 rounds or the early part of the season at least or we could in a case shut up shop for 2021 and start to think of 2022 and its only April.

Question for the guru: Gimpy:

Which does a kids confidence more damage do you think? Playing them too early (whatever that means?) or not playing them and having them watch older players bad habits/attitudes?

Every player I've ever seen played a first game sometime. And they all were probably nervous and wondering whether they would cut it or not....(OK so maybe Phil Carmen didn't think like that but everybody else does!). We've become too precious with kid's temperaments don't you think? If they're fit enough and they display the right traits (discipline, selflessness, courage, game smarts, general skills) then give them a go.
One first gamer in an experience rich team is no trouble but we don't have an experience rich team anymore.

3 or 4 at once as many here are suggesting is a recipe for chaos and disaster.

So many with zero patience.

Wow, GWS injury toll even worse than first thought. They have been utterly smashed - both in terms of on-field talent and leadership.

I know everyone here still has mental scar tissue from the 2019 Prelim Final debacle but this really shouldn’t turn into a case of history repeating.

We should win this and win it well - and should also take the opportunity to debut Macrae and give Cameron a well-deserved recall.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Wow, GWS injury toll even worse than first thought. They have been utterly smashed - both in terms of on-field talent and leadership.

I know everyone here still has mental scar tissue from the 2019 Prelim Final debacle but this really shouldn’t turn into a case of history repeating.

We should win this and win it well - and should also take the opportunity to debut Macrae and give Cameron a well-deserved recall.

Given all the advantages we had last week we should have won and won well...

On any given day any team is a chance in 2021 except Norf so I wouldn’t read anything into who GWS are missing.

FWIW they were missing Greene and Cogs that day too.

One first gamer in an experience rich team is no trouble but we don't have an experience rich team anymore.

No experience?

Apart from Crisp Pendlebury Adams Grundy Maynard Roughhead Moore De Goey Mayne Sidebottom Josh Thomas Hoskin-Elliot and Howe, then you have the experienced bodies in Cox Noble Mihocek and Magden... Hell even Callum Brown has played over 50 games now.

Yep, not much experience in this team. :drunk:

Given all the advantages we had last week we should have won and won well...

On any given day any team is a chance in 2021 except Norf so I wouldn’t read anything into who GWS are missing.

FWIW they were missing Greene and Cogs that day too.

Well, it would be a damning indictment on our team and coaches if we get jumped again by a weakened opponent.

Our list is as healthy as it has been in living memory and the stinging loss to Brisbane should induce a strong response. If we cannot lift and deliver a decisive victory against a punch-drunk opponent, we really are going nowhere.

But I’m confident that this week we’ll deliver the goods.

C'mon Jon...you're better than that. "Zero patience?" I've been a Pies man for 70 odd years...I've got all the patience in the world but I'm not someone who "flogs a dead horse".
When a kid like Oliver Henry gets replaced by Chris Mayne after one game because he was quiet??? It's not getting us anywhere.
If we want another wasted year... keep playing the "depth players" instead of the kids.
I've never minded us losing games as long as we're having a dip. Playing with so many blokes out of position, inside mids playing as defensive forwards, our best winger locked in the forward pocket and the slowest and least competitive midfield I think I've ever seen in a Collingwood side, just doesn't fill me with "patience"...

What every coach in the afl would do
OUTS : WHE Thomas C Brown and madgen you can throw a 32 year old mayne in there to if you'd like

What our waste of a 10 year coach will do

OUTS : Sier ( doesnt fit our clean cut private school look ) INS: what ever old kiss ass has been we got left

I cant believe this guy has been our coach for 10 years, all his supporters will say well we got within a kick of premiership, lets not forget that year he was under the pump and was instructed to take a back seat and let the assistant coaches do their job EG; Justin longmuir, who is ten times the coach bucks will ever be.

I cant believe the rubble we have become look at the list that was given to him the youngest premiership team, to what we are today, an old team of soft private school suck ups ain't got a ounce of heart in him and we wonder why we lose the close ones time after time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back