Preview Sydney Swans vs Gold Coast Suns, Saturday April 24 @ Metricon

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please mate you a

Agree. The amount of selectors on this Board that want ****ing teenagers rested is astonishing. Call it what it is. If they are not cutting it and struggling like McDonald clearly has the last couple of weeks then they are dropped not rested. We have seen what him and Campbell are capable of and they will be both 200 plus game players but rest them ????? Also agree with current injury list both could have been persevered with for another week or 2.

Sometimes there’s a lesson to be learnt from fighting out of a form slump

Heeney and McLean essentially replace Franklin and Logan, so that's fine. Rowbottom comes in for who?? A slingshotting half back flanker... Now we need to unsettle McInerney to probably go back there and completely lose his attacking ability. It should've been Ling in imo.

If Rowbottom is so good and is required in the team, then take out the next worst mid.

So you would've had us make SIX changes? One unforced on top of the five others? Just wouldn't happen.

McInerney won't lose his attacking ability. He played off half back in the reserves. Florent and Blakey have also won substantial more ball back there than usual. We will not be that unsettled just because a 19 year old who wasn't even in the team until six weeks ago is now suddenly out. Cool your jets.

So you would've had us make SIX changes? One unforced on top of the five others? Just wouldn't happen.

McInerney won't lose his attacking ability. He played off half back in the reserves. Florent and Blakey have also won substantial more ball back there than usual. We will not be that unsettled just because a 19 year old who wasn't even in the team until six weeks ago is now suddenly out. Cool your jets.
Liked for content and sympathy for lockdown v2 .

Though you must feel pity for Freo "fans"..

Please mate you a

Agree. The amount of selectors on this Board that want ****ing teenagers rested is astonishing. Call it what it is. If they are not cutting it and struggling like McDonald clearly has the last couple of weeks then they are dropped not rested. We have seen what him and Campbell are capable of and they will be both 200 plus game players but rest them ????? Also agree with current injury list both could have been persevered with for another week or 2.

You don't have to like it WW but resting is exactly what it is. If they're not cutting it and struggling because their bodies are tired, then are they being dropped, or are their bodies being given a rest?

Rowbottom was great all last season but eventually his body hit a wall. Do you really believe when he was an out for that one match that he was being dropped? He had a weekend off, didn't even play a reserves game, and came straight back the very next week. Clearly 'form' had nothing to do with it. Don't be surprised if we see the same with Braeden and Logan next week.

I honestly see McInerney playing down back as a huge disadvantage. I'm sure he'd do the role fine but his work forward of the wing has been massive for us. Who replaces McInerney in that case? That impact he has going forward will be completely nullified if he's put back, no one else has that capability.

On the other hand Rowbottom for mills, with mills going back will be ok and would mean we don't need to shuffle things around.

Unlike a lot here, I feel like putting the long term progression and health of McDonald and Campbell ahead of the short term success of the team shows a well managed club.

No need to be desperate and keep kids in that are buggered.
Might be they are being rested or it might be that they need to work on particular things and they would be better suited doing it in ressies.

Liked for content and sympathy for lockdown v2 .

Though you must feel pity for Freo "fans"..

It won't effect me, though I am in one of only two seats in the whole of WA who voted for the Libs, so that'll be fun listening to the neighbours complain about McGowan all weekend!

Ps. Freo have fans?

Now how exactly IS Isaac Heeney playing this week?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I honestly see McInerney playing down back as a huge disadvantage. I'm sure he'd do the role fine but his work forward of the wing has been massive for us. Who replaces McInerney in that case? That impact he has going forward will be completely nullified if he's put back, no one else has that capability.

On the other hand Rowbottom for mills, with mills going back will be ok and would mean we don't need to shuffle things around.

Look I don't disagree on Mills. If I had my way I would probably put him back. I still like him in defence more so than midfield. But I think it's unlikely to happen, and I think the loss of Campbell and being replaced by McInerney/Blakey/Florent is being blown out of proportion. They are more than capable of doing what Campbell was doing. He was not doing much hardcore defending, and was really just providing rebound off a flank and creeping up the ground with his run and dash. The other three can do that. It's not a big deal.

Happy with the changes. Logan has been gassed despite trying hard so happy for him to find some footy in the ressies. Braeden seems like he might benefit more from a game on the bench next to the coaching staff. Has been finding plenty of footy but found wanting on occasion in a defensive sense.

Expecting Sinkers to be fired up and provide good effort. Heeney and Rowbottom are massive ins.

I might be in the minority but I don't want to see Mills go back. I'd hate for him to start being jerked around the field like Reid everytime someone goes down. His future is as a mid so let's keep him there and let him learn the position.

Look I don't disagree on Mills. If I had my way I would probably put him back. I still like him in defence more so than midfield. But I think it's unlikely to happen, and I think the loss of Campbell and being replaced by McInerney/Blakey/Florent is being blown out of proportion. They are more than capable of doing what Campbell was doing. He was not doing much hardcore defending, and was really just providing rebound off a flank and creeping up the ground with his run and dash. The other three can do that. It's not a big deal.
My point is you lose their ability pushing forward, which is what irks me. Surely ling would be just as capable replacing Campbell without the need to move anyone else around.

My point is you lose their ability pushing forward, which is what irks me. Surely ling would be just as capable replacing Campbell without the need to move anyone else around.

I am a fan of all of three of Florent, McInerney and Blakey, but I think you are exaggerating their forward impact.

Blakey hasn't been setting the world on fire. Florent has already been winning most of his possessions in the back half, look up his heat maps. And McInerney has had an up and down season so far.

So I don't think they would be massive losses from the front half right now. But, if they're as capable as I think they are, they should have no problem working up the ground to impact from defence. Florent did this exceptionally well against Richmond. He had 71% of his possessions in the defensive half, yet still managed six inside 50s. So playing in d50 doesn't have to mean they can't be attacking.

I share your disappointment with Ling not being selected as he’s one of my “projects” but it was clear from watching and from the comments of Laidler that they’re working on something with him to do with positioning and I imagine they want to continue with that.

You don't have to like it WW but resting is exactly what it is. If they're not cutting it and struggling because their bodies are tired, then are they being dropped, or are their bodies being given a rest?

Rowbottom was great all last season but eventually his body hit a wall. Do you really believe when he was an out for that one match that he was being dropped? He had a weekend off, didn't even play a reserves game, and came straight back the very next week. Clearly 'form' had nothing to do with it. Don't be surprised if we see the same with Braeden and Logan next week.

Agree to disagree. Maybe the old school coach coming out in me but when a player's form was demonstrating he could not have an impact he was dropped not rested. His body could have hit The Great Wall Of China. If he was fit to play and not injured that is. Having said that I do understand these players are kids and yes the demands at the top level take a heavy toll on the most seasoned players week in week out. McDonald has been ordinary the past couple of weeks and my take on it would be omitted but that does not mean I don't think he will be back playing senior footy sooner rather than later or questioning the fact I think he will be a gun forward for the next 10 years for the club.

Mills to the backline is the a must. Need some leadership back there

Sister Michael Derry Girls GIF - SisterMichael DerryGirls Hell GIFs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back