Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn: Jackson Callow!

Remove this Banner Ad

If he is playing in defence, as others think he might be able to, he needs agility. Closing speed also useful. I’m not sure 3.08 is fast in anyone’s language but he is in the same league as other kpd. I’m concerned about his agility as a defender. I have said this. But I also said in the post you quote that I can’t find anything to compare him to so it’s difficult to judge that. My view is he will make it as a forward or not at all. What exactly do you have a problem with here?
I don't have a problem mate.

I too can make stats say what i want, but you just totally disregarded one, so I don't expect you to ever use it again, anywhere, about any other player ever again. Since stats are always your first line of attack and your only defense - as I said mate my eyes served me well before stats became the "thing", but you enjoy, it's your thing, not mine.

People keep banging on about how bad we have played over the past 4/5 weeks however I look at what we actually now have

Jeka Kosi (Lewis maybe)

Reeves

DGB Callow

We may have potentially found 5 key position players in less than 12 months who could be apart of our next premiership team! That’s unheard of as key position players are the hardest to find!
Need a lot of development / a lot to go right obviously but that side of our list seems to be on track!

I don't have a problem mate.

I too can make stats say what i want, but you just totally disregarded one, so I don't expect you to ever use it again, anywhere, about any other player ever again. Since stats are always your first line of attack and your only defense - as I said mate my eyes served me well before stats became the "thing", but you enjoy, it's your thing, not mine.
I have been critical of that stat for years. I don’t find it useful and I don’t use it. But in so far as it can be used, it shows callow to be in the ball park of other defenders.

If he is playing in defence, as others think he might be able to, he needs agility. Closing speed also useful. I’m not sure 3.08 is fast in anyone’s language but he is in the same league as other kpd. I’m concerned about his agility as a defender. I have said this. But I also said in the post you quote that I can’t find anything to compare him to so it’s difficult to judge that. My view is he will make it as a forward or not at all. What exactly do you have a problem with here?

Defenders do need some agility but there is always a position for those with agility considered average or below. Frawley was hardly the exemplar for agility but his straight line speed was good and that was key for his performances against a lot of bigger forwards who repeat leads but in straight lines (Hawkins, Kennedy etc.), there was only one bloke he really struggled on and that was Jack Riewoldt for the reason that agility was necessary in that case.

If we have Callow to perform a role on certain forwards, and DGB to take those that require more agility and speed. DGB can perform on those that play like Riewoldt, and Callow can perform a role on the taller straight line opponents. The zone makes up for the rest.

Defenders do need some agility but there is always a position for those with agility considered average or below. Frawley was hardly the exemplar for agility but his straight line speed was good and that was key for his performances against a lot of bigger forwards who repeat leads but in straight lines (Hawkins, Kennedy etc.), there was only one bloke he really struggled on and that was Jack Riewoldt for the reason that agility was necessary in that case.

If we have Callow to perform a role on certain forwards, and DGB to take those that require more agility and speed. DGB can perform on those that play like Riewoldt, and Callow can perform a role on the taller straight line opponents. The zone makes up for the rest.
Mate, not even Hawkins just leads in straight lines. And Kennedy is practically the master of doubling back and leading multiple times.

Kieren Collins was drafted in 2014 as an AA defender who was dominant in one-v-one marking contests and intercept marking. He also suffered from poor agility and managed only a single game in the AFL. Callow doesn’t have his resume and was passed over countless times. He also has very limited exposure to defence. So you not think there is reason to doubt him making it as a defender?

Mate, not even Hawkins just leads in straight lines. And Kennedy is practically the master of doubling back and leading multiple times.

Kieren Collins was drafted in 2014 as an AA defender who was dominant in one-v-one marking contests and intercept marking. He also suffered from poor agility and managed only a single game in the AFL. Callow doesn’t have his resume and was passed over countless times. He also has very limited exposure to defence. So you not think there is reason to doubt him making it as a defender?

They repeat lead but they're not catching out people for lack of agility, they're catching out people who aren't being mindful of their man. They're not taking off and using their side step and lateral movement in a similar way to Riewoldt or Buddy.

You can't dismiss every other comparison and then use Collins, he was both slower over 20m and more undersized than Callow - he also had more exposed form in his underage years, where he competed against an extraordinarily poor crop of key forwards particularly in the national carnival.

I'm fine with you questioning his credentials for defense, I'm not sure I agree that it's forward or bust.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This conversation has gotten distinctly boring.

I have this crazy idea...lets see how he goes in the VFL, and then maybe in the ones?
Nah let’s sit here and pretend he is a lock at full back and admonish anyone who suggests there are concerns about his ability there based on a 20m sprint time and spurious comparisons to AA defenders.

Callow was dominant in two games against weak opposition. He wasn’t dominant across all or even most games. Something to keep in mind when considering his likelihood of playing senior football this year. Jeka will be ahead of him for sure.
True, but also keep in mind he's only 19. There's undoubtedly improvement there.

Nah let’s sit here and pretend he is a lock at full back and admonish anyone who suggests there are concerns about his ability there based on a 20m sprint time and spurious comparisons to AA defenders.

Personally I didn't say that, just didn't agree with the forward or bust comment.

I look for qualities, and see where those qualities overlap with other players - that's where I'm coming from.

EDIT: Wobbles board worth a look. :thumbsu:

Indeed it was. Also got a laugh from the ad targeting during my visit. Had been looking at some books at bookdepository.com earlier in the day, and it showed 2 books I'd looked at in an ad for the site. The third book shown was not one I'd been searching for, but apparently triggered by the context of being on the Pie's board:

Screen Shot 2021-06-03 at 2.26.13 pm.png

Callow looks like he was worth the punt, and several Pies fans seemed to prefer him over their actual first round selection.

Last edited:
There is only one person doing that mate - you !

Everyone else just wishes him the best. But you're like a dog with a bone, if someone questions you you just keep going and going - Oh opps so did I - LOL

High horse little s**t you are.

Everyone else just wishes him the best. But you're like a dog with a bone, if someone questions you you just keep going and going - Oh opps so did I - LOL

High horse little sh*t you are.

lmao relax bro

Lets just delist him now then hey. BrisHawk has spoken - he's useless and it was a waste of time. LOL

Looks like he might be willing to stick a knee into the back of the head of defender from FF - but no for some insane reason this has all become about him being a backman or nothing - Even a back up tall on our list is bloody handy at the moment best buddy pal with how our overall list is, unless of course we going to keep Tobby until he's 50 to fill all the holes.

Geezis mate let it go.

High horse little sh*t you are.
#triggered

just put me on ignore 👍

Remove this Banner Ad

Back