Roast IF it isn't biased or ncompetent..... THEN it must be inciteful media coverage part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting article this one. A couple of takeaways - the low weighting given to technical skills in the "best practice" senior coaching assessment. And this, which I wasn't aware of:

"By contrast the West Coast Eagles, one of the more successful clubs, have an independent review at the end of every second season so issues are picked up before they affect performance."

And this, which I wasn't aware of:

"By contrast the West Coast Eagles, one of the more successful clubs, have an independent review at the end of every second season so issues are picked up before they affect performance."

Didn't know that either. Sounds like an excellent initiative. Wonder if it was brought in after Cousins as part of the club's overhaul?

Interesting article this one. A couple of takeaways - the low weighting given to technical skills in the "best practice" senior coaching assessment. And this, which I wasn't aware of:

heck we are elite.

Could've gone half a metre to his right and contested vs Sheed but decided to whinge to the umps instead.

Clueless moron.

Good player though.
Absolute Cranka, always love that flailing, crying to the ump like a little beeatch shot of him just after DS's marked it.

Nizzy runs a tight ship and is underated and will always be remembered for the drug culture of 06 sadly. They really changed their ways when they could easily got rid of woosha and nizzy.

Know for a fact Hawthorn approached us and asked for tips on how to clean up their own culture after they had their injunction scandal come out.

Hopefully this years review shows fans hate the song

West Coast: "Ok, step 1, have a handful of players publically blow up and get shafted by the media as a drug-ridden club and the only drug-ridden club leading to a huge decline in the morale of the clean majority."
Adelaide, Brisbane, Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, Fremantle, Geelong, Hawthorn, Melbourne, North Melbourne, Port Adelaide, St Kilda, Sydney, Western Bulldogs: "Pass."
West Coast: "Step 2, cut all player ties with bikies."
Richmond: "Ok, we're out too."

In their last 9 games, Tigers play 6 at MCG and only 2 against top 8 teams.
Brisbane at MCG and Geelong home game at... MCG.

They have only beaten one side in the 8, Bulldogs in round 7.
So they could be finishing 14-8 with no further wins against top 8 teams.
And the commentators will go on about how they always time their run perfectly and don’t worry about looking good earlier in the season.

And the commentators will go on about how they always time their run perfectly and don’t worry about looking good earlier in the season.

To be fair I think one of their players said something similar recently also (not sure if it was a pre match or post match interview). Along the lines of not wanting to be at 100% now, but later in the year.

Probably just setting the narrative so the media can run with it.

In their last 9 games, Tigers play 6 at MCG and only 2 against top 8 teams.
Brisbane at MCG and Geelong home game at... MCG.

They have only beaten one side in the 8, Bulldogs in round 7.
So they could be finishing 14-8 with no further wins against top 8 teams.

It is a failing of having 18 teams (i.e. too many teams). So, if you beat say all but one of teams 9-18 and say only three games against the other top seven teams then for the 17 rounds then that is 12 wins straight off. Then it depends on who is played for the five 'double up' games. Win say three and bingo ... 15 wins. That'll generally get you into the top six (or better). This encourages the resting of players during the H&A (to ensure a full list come finals) which means the punters see sub-optimal teams. 'Integrity of the competition'?

And by extension the more teams and/or the more finals means a further diminishing of the 'integrity of the competition'.

Then, I can't believe this, we have someone like Nick Riewoldt suggesting teams 7 v 10 and 8 v 9 playing in the end of season bye to determine positions 7 and 8. One of his arguments was that it'd mean even Coll, then sitting 16th, could still be 'live'. The logic of that with respect to the 'integrity of the competition' is simply not worth elaborating on here.

'Integrity of the competition'? Ha! When faced with a choice between what is good for footy or what is good for AFL Inc, then we see the hollowness of the pretence of it being a 'sport' - with all the charades of 'a level playing field', 'best team wins' blah blah blah.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is a failing of having 18 teams (i.e. too many teams). So, if you beat say all but one of teams 9-18 and say only three games against the other top seven teams then for the 17 rounds then that is 12 wins straight off. Then it depends on who is played for the five 'double up' games. Win say three and bingo ... 15 wins. That'll generally get you into the top six (or better). This encourages the resting of players during the H&A (to ensure a full list come finals) which means the punters see sub-optimal teams. 'Integrity of the competition'?

And by extension the more teams and/or the more finals means a further diminishing of the 'integrity of the competition'.

Then, I can't believe this, we have someone like Nick Riewoldt suggesting teams 7 v 10 and 8 v 9 playing in the end of season bye to determine positions 7 and 8. One of his arguments was that it'd mean even Coll, then sitting 16th, could still be 'live'. The logic of that with respect to the 'integrity of the competition' is simply not worth elaborating on here.

'Integrity of the competition'? Ha! When faced with a choice between what is good for footy or what is good for AFL Inc, then we see the hollowness of the pretence of it being a 'sport' - with all the charades of 'a level playing field', 'best team wins' blah blah blah.
Jesus. Would West Coast ever miss finals if the top 10 played? He'll, even Freo would probably have found a way to scrape in a couple of times over the last few years.

It’s only a matter of time before they do 7 vs 10, 8 vs 9 for finals.

NBA had their ‘play in’ tourney this year.

I wouldn’t be stunned if it was a thing by 2022 in the AFL.

They won’t be able to resist 2 more ‘finals’. Money for jam and god knows they want all the money they can get right now.

The media will love it because they get paid by the clicks or the ratings, which both go up for the fin

Good read, I would have thought all teams would conduct an end of season review. Seems weird to not conduct one tbh. Maybe thats half their issue

In 2010, the AFL commissioned Craig Mitchell, a consultant with Ernst and Young
Consulting from one of the big4 costs ~50k per month for the most basic grad student to come and knock out a report. I can only imagine the obscene costs of the bizzare metric used here.

Money well spent for sure...

screen-shot-2021-06-18-at-9-06-21-am-png.1157722

Screen Shot 2021-06-18 at 9.06.40 am.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-06-18 at 9.06.21 am.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-18 at 9.06.21 am.png
    62.3 KB · Views: 590
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back