Autopsy Autopsy in Every Sense of the Word - Freo Embarrassed by Geelong - Rnd 18

Remove this Banner Ad

it was coaching. Geelong just picked their way through the zone and every time they got the ball there was someone free to kick it to. We were cooked in the last because we spent the whole game chasing the ball.

It was both. Our inability to handle it on the inside allowed them to control it on the outside.

I think we can turn it around with a few small changes:

1) don’t handball it to a player under pressure
2) don’t kick it to the boundary every chance you get
3) don’t give the opposition 30m space because you think you are playing a zone
4) don’t kick towards a 175cm player when their ruck is matching up on them.
5) when going into the corridor, make sure it’s not a 3 against 1 in their favour

I swear to god we make the worst possible decisions

keep in mind Cameron and Rohan were missing from that team

Just got home and only read a few pages, but I am surprised nobody has mentioned how we were simply gassed. They could go for about 20 minutes and that was it. Had a bit of rest at half time and could give about 5 minutes of effort. The team had absolutely no energy. Fly back and forth 3 weeks in a row to Vic/Tas and then be shafted with a 5 day break ... I didn't think it would be as bad as it was, but they were clearly cooked.

It was obvious at the ground that the midfielders could barely run while Geelong players were zipping around everywhere. We would have set a record for getting run down from behind.

Geelong are clearly a better side, but not 70 points better on our home ground with the players they were missing. Just a forgettable game that has unfortunately finished our season.

Just got home and only read a few pages, but I am surprised nobody has mentioned how we were simply gassed. They could go for about 20 minutes and that was it. Had a bit of rest at half time and could give about 5 minutes of effort. The team had absolutely no energy. Fly back and forth 3 weeks in a row to Vic/Tas and then be shafted with a 5 day break ... I didn't think it would be as bad as it was, but they were clearly cooked.

It was obvious at the ground that the midfielders could barely run while Geelong players were zipping around everywhere. We would have set a record for getting run down from behind.

Geelong are clearly a better side, but not 70 points better on our home ground with the players they were missing. Just a forgettable game that has unfortunately finished our season.

i mentioned it…got told I was making excuses

They had the same day break and had to fly from over east as well. When did we become such an excuses driven club. P!ss Poor.

Seriously folks, it wasn't the 5 day break, it wasn't the wet weather, it was the difference between playing the second worst team in the comp (Hawks with only 2 bench players) and a fully fit, well coached second best team in the comp. We were not ready for the step up in class and ability.

I suspect Sydney will expose us further next week. Very much like 2011 though, this is a big part of the learning curve for the young kids and our coaches.

Seriously folks, it wasn't the 5 day break, it wasn't the wet weather, it was the difference between playing the second worst team in the comp (Hawks with only 2 bench players) and a fully fit, well coached second best team in the comp. We were not ready for the step up in class and ability.

I suspect Sydney will expose us further next week. Very much like 2011 though, this is a big part of the learning curve for the young kids and our coaches.

That's a very ugly looking disposal tally. No chance when you're constantly 2nd to the ball. In fact, I swear at times it looked like we we're 3rd to get to it. Screenshot_2021-07-15-21-45-11-65.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why can't we have both?
Because we are not yet even enough across the available players in talent, experience or consistency. Not helped by a young group dealing with Cerra leaving, and lots of injuries to our best 15.

All of this will either be a furnace that hardens our kids for a run of finals over the next few years, or a series of hammer blows that smashes us into another rebuild. We can't have both of those at the same time, unfortunately.

Why can't we have both?
Because we are not yet even enough across the available players in talent, experience or consistency. Not helped by a young group dealing with Cerra leaving, and lots of injuries to our best 15.

All of this will either be a furnace that hardens our kids for a run of finals over the next few years, or a series of hammer blows that smashes us into another rebuild. We can't have both of those at the same time, unfortunately.

not what I meant.
I meant why can’t we be both outclassed tonight and gassed?

it happens

Henry and Switta are the least of our problems, Both have flair and footy nous. Unfortunately a couple of the small to midsize forwards arent up to it
Disagree. Henry is a major problem. Has no appetite to work unless the ball is within 15 meters. Actually invites the opposition to get uncontested and easy exits. He is a non pressure small forward

Isn’t it depressing/alarming that Sydney have drafted well, for their needs and suddenly has another premiership window, even this season. Less time to rebuild then us, make 2016 GF and suddenly back amongst it.
Meanwhile Freo haven’t recovered since 2015.

They had the same day break and had to fly from over east as well. When did we become such an excuses driven club. P!ss Poor.

They had to make one flight. We've been going back and forth and there is a cumulative effect of travelling every week. I challenge you to fly to Melbourne and back 3 times in a few weeks and see how good you feel. I watched Mundy closely and the old fella could barely move. He had 6 kicks in the entire game, and you can't question the effort he would give (if he could). Fyfe was absolutely rooted. Same with our young mids. Flat footed, on their heels.

It's not an excuse. It's just the reality. We turned up gassed against maybe the best side in the competition, and look what happens. I bet if we played them on Sunday we would have lost by say 30-40 points instead of 70.

I wasn’t overly confident of winning but thought we would have put up a fight. However, I should know better after 25 years of this $h!t, just when you get your confidence up Freo find a way to ruin it.

Usual gutless performers Acres, Lobb, Wilson, Aish etc.

Colyer, Banfield, Tucker also still crap.

Geelong smashed Freo in every stat that mattered, great positioning and set ups, ball movement was elite. They played to their strengths, knew each other’s strengths and just played an enjoyable brand of footy. Can’t fault it one but.

not sure why the umps felt the need to help Geelong? They would have rolled us in any case.
Disagree on Aish and Wilson, they were ok
The rest , yep , shithouse!
Not sure why Cerra is such a protected species around here , he was pretty ordinary and definitely wasn’t getting his hands dirty.

Isn’t it depressing/alarming that Sydney have drafted well, for their needs and suddenly has another premiership window, even this season. Less time to rebuild then us, make 2016 GF and suddenly back amongst it.
Meanwhile Freo haven’t recovered since 2015.
You can see it two ways. Yes, it is a downer that we have not been able to be as brilliant as Sydney at drafting talent, coaching, and developing it.

But 16 other clubs haven't been as good as the Bloods either. Sydney have a sustained 18 year run of developing talent from late picks that no other club comes close to. It spans multiple coaches, fitness gurus and footy operations teams - and it isn't driven by either their academy rights or COLA.

9 other teams have the same academies, in 6 cases with more funding - yet all the others keep missing while the Swans academy produces.

I think it is a remarkable story how the Swans have created a dynasty out of the mess that Edelsten left them. And one of the few clubs to have little if any off field indiscretions or arrogance ( hello Richmond).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back