Traded Robbie Tarrant [traded to Richmond for CCJ + other stuff]

Remove this Banner Ad

NORTH Melbourne veteran Robbie Tarrant has told the Roos he wants to leave and chase a premiership at Richmond.

As revealed by AFL.com.au on Friday, the Tigers have offered the 32-year-old a two-year deal to join from next season.

Tarrant will be free to walk to the Tigers from October 1 given he qualifies as an unrestricted free agent.

The Roos initially tabled their former vice-captain a one-year deal before upping the offer to two years in recent days.

However, that delay allowed Tarrant to consider a move to another club for the first time in his career which he settled on Saturday morning.

Carlton got no Compo for Waite due to his age, ditto Hawthorn for Clinton Young, so I expect North will get zilch for Tarrant.
Hawks got compo for Smith last year though. Being a rebuilding team, I think the AFL will give North the pick. They tend to like treating free agency compo like a thinly disguised priority pick.

I think it may have been Steven Motlop (26) going from Geelong to Port. Geelong got end of 1st round, pick 19.
Geelong gave that pick to GCS for G.Ablett jr Motlop’s deal $550k x 4 years

Scott Lycett (26) 5 year $600k pa deal to port earned WCE an end of 1st round pick, pick 20

B.Ellis (26) had a 5 year $600k pa deal to GCS Richmond got end of 2nd round pick 39.

AFL said it ”fell a bit short due to his age and contract details” :rolleyes:
Just about exactly the same as Lycett and more $’s and longer than Motlop’s.
The make it up as you go AFL. Secret herbs and spices. Corruption at its finest.
You're comparing different years there, apples and oranges. Lycett was 2018 (band 2), Ellis was 2019 (band 3), and Motlop was the bottom edge of band 2 in 2017.

It's a ranking against other 25+ year old players' base salaries + ASAs for that particular year.

So for example, one player is earning 1.2m and two earning 400k, then a guy on 800k per year is ranked 2nd, and gets band 2.

The following year, the guy that was on 1.2m is at the end of his contract and gets 900k that year. One of the guys on 400k re-signs for 900k, and the other guy on 400k has had several injuries and he's on the fringe and takes 200k. The guy on 800k is now ranked 3rd and gets band 3.

Obviously there's more than 4 players involved but the same thing happens from one year to the next with the FA compensation bands. It's not a fixed dollar amount = band 1. It's the top 5% for band 1, 6-15% band 2, 15-30% band 3, 30-50% band 4, 50%-undefined is band 5, and some particularly low ranking players on this method don't attract compensation at all.

And that's before you take into account the changes in salary cap, some players taking cuts to stay, front-loading, backending and various other things that mess it up.

Hawks got compo for Smith last year though. Being a rebuilding team, I think the AFL will give North the pick. They tend to like treating free agency compo like a thinly disguised priority pick.

What a joke the AFL is, making up the rules for FA compo as they go along. Good luck to North if they get compo, but I am disillusioned with how they allot FA compo with their secret herbs and spices formula.

I don't see how a straight swap would benefit us at all? The absolute minimum we would get from you CJ is pick 38 (emphasis on the minimum). Chol compo will be pick 45. 38 is better than 45.

Plus we're also looking at Mitch Wallis, which if we went for it would dilute any Chol compo even further.
I don't see how a straight swap would benefit us at all? The absolute minimum we would get from you CJ is pick 38 (emphasis on the minimum). Chol compo will be pick 45. 38 is better than 45.

Plus we're also looking at Mitch Wallis, which if we went for it would dilute any Chol compo even further.
I was thinking that the Chol compo would be higher. But if it's band 5 then yes, no point for either team. May as well just pass the Tarrant compo to you guys for CCJ with a minor pick upgrade somewhere else.

I was thinking that the Chol compo would be higher. But if it's band 5 then yes, no point for either team. May as well just pass the Tarrant compo to you guys for CCJ with a minor pick upgrade somewhere else.
We'll ask for 20. You'll offer 38. Something in-between like 20+38 for CJ and 28 will probably happen.

I think Richmond know exactly what both Chol and Tarrant compos will be.

If the Tarrant compo doesn’t affect the Chol compo they pick him up as a free agent and treat the CCJ deal seperate.

If it does I’d expect Tarrant to be included in the CCJ deal which probably ends up 38 and Tarrant for him.

Otherwise we wait for North to delist him and take him as a DFA and treat the CCJ deal separately.

Personally I think it will be quite amicable and it will be 38 and Tarrant for CCJ.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FA compensation is a ludicrous idea and should be scrapped. It is totally unnecessary.
I like how I've read it's done in MLB. The club with the restricted FA offers a qualifying offer of $x and if another club signs that player, they lose their first round draft pick and the team that loses the player gets a pick in return in a supplementary round after the first round of the draft.

I think that would translate really well to the AFL. Say, for example, it's deemed that Richmond signed Tarrant to what is the equivalent of a third round pick, they would lose their third round pick and North would get a compensation pick in a supplementary round at the end of the third round.

Or you could make it, like MLB, just for restricted FAs and remove compensation for unrestricted FAs. It would mean that other teams aren't being punished by having their picks pushed back because the system isn't actually adding any picks to the order, if that make sense.

This doesn't make sense for any party imo unless Tigs were offering him significantly more money. Neither team is going to be contending next year and I would be very surprised if by the 2nd year North hadn't moved past Richmond and be the team more likely to play finals

I think Richmond know exactly what both Chol and Tarrant compos will be.

If the Tarrant compo doesn’t affect the Chol compo they pick him up as a free agent and treat the CCJ deal seperate.

If it does I’d expect Tarrant to be included in the CCJ deal which probably ends up 38 and Tarrant for him.

Otherwise we wait for North to delist him and take him as a DFA and treat the CCJ deal separately.

Personally I think it will be quite amicable and it will be 38 and Tarrant for CCJ.
Picking up Tarrant as a FA would wipe out the Chol compo, but if you are doing other FA stuff that may not matter.
We probably have other FA stuff going on to which would makes a trade for Tarrant unfavourable.

38 and Tarrant for CCJ is good for you guys but makes little sense for us.

It is all very complicated, can't you chase someone else?

Picking up Tarrant as a FA would wipe out the Chol compo, but if you are doing other FA stuff that may not matter.
We probably have other FA stuff going on to which would makes a trade for Tarrant unfavourable.

38 and Tarrant for CCJ is good for you guys but makes little sense for us.

It is all very complicated, can't you chase someone else?
If it were up to me, I would have gone for Talia instead. But I spose with three recent flags, there are others at my club who know better than I do.

38 and Tarrant for CCJ ends up a meeting point for both parties.

Id prefer we didn’t do that deal and it sounds like North fans feel the same way. Both clubs feel they should get more, which is a good way to test the equity of the deal.

This doesn't make sense for any party imo unless Tigs were offering him significantly more money. Neither team is going to be contending next year and I would be very surprised if by the 2nd year North hadn't moved past Richmond and be the team more likely to play finals
Richmond will be in the hunt again next year.

Teams still can't cope with that manic pressure game and Richmond still do it better than anyone. With some renewed hunger and Dusty back, they're as good a chance as anyone.

I like how I've read it's done in MLB. The club with the restricted FA offers a qualifying offer of $x and if another club signs that player, they lose their first round draft pick and the team that loses the player gets a pick in return in a supplementary round after the first round of the draft.

I think that would translate really well to the AFL. Say, for example, it's deemed that Richmond signed Tarrant to what is the equivalent of a third round pick, they would lose their third round pick and North would get a compensation pick in a supplementary round at the end of the third round.

Or you could make it, like MLB, just for restricted FAs and remove compensation for unrestricted FAs. It would mean that other teams aren't being punished by having their picks pushed back because the system isn't actually adding any picks to the order, if that make sense.
I'd rather no compensation be available for Free Agency at all. Our compensation for Taz was the 14 years service he gave us.

If it were up to me, I would have gone for Talia instead. But I spose with three recent flags, there are others at my club who know better than I do.

38 and Tarrant for CCJ ends up a meeting point for both parties.

Id prefer we didn’t do that deal and it sounds like North fans feel the same way. Both clubs feel they should get more, which is a good way to test the equity of the deal.
All reports are Taz goes as a free agent.
That means the deals are separate.
I can see how joining them would help Richmond.
But i doubt north would be willing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back