Roast St Kilda in no mans land

Remove this Banner Ad

Every season a team jumps from outside the 8 into the top 4 and I think St Kilda are best poised to be that side in 2022. They'd want Hunter Clark or Jade Gresham to take that next step and become 25 touch mids who can move the ball forward (though I prefer Gresh forward as I see him as one of the worst kicks going around)

Yeah he's not the best kick but he's a weapon with his movement and ability to release others through traffic.

I too prefer him forward with stints in the middle

He has been delisted. There is no compo on a DFA.

Any potential club would just wait to pick him up until after the trade period when he has been delisted formally.

No, he hasn't been delisted Brett Ratten was quite clear on that the other day.

Media reports of him being delisted are incorrect.

He has been delisted. There is no compo on a DFA.

Any potential club would just wait to pick him up until after the trade period when he has been delisted formally.
According to Ratts, he hasn't been delisted. He just hasn't been offered a contract.

Since he is an unrestricted free agent, we would still be eligible compensation if he finds a new club and the contract warrants it.

According to Ratts, he hasn't been delisted. He just hasn't been offered a contract.

Since he is an unrestricted free agent, we would still be eligible compensation if he finds a new club and the contract warrants it.

So thats the thing.

If he hasnt been offered a contract, then theres only two ways it plays out.

1. Saints backflip and offer him a contract to stay at the saints
2. He is picked up as a delisted free agent by another club

No other club in their right mind would trade for him. They are better off to wait for him to be delisted once the trade period is finished, and get him for free.

This whole "hasnt been offered a contract" thing that all clubs do is ridiculous. It just allows other clubs to sit on their hands and wait for the player to become available.

It’s a public forum mate. Take it to your board if you don’t like it.

Personally I think the Saints are pretty close. Even if they have a down year next year it’s not the end of the world. Steele, Marshall, King, Gresham, Clark, Coffield, Long, Higgins, Butler. It’s a pretty good core group. Ratten is the man for sure. Need another two young midfielders plus a key defender. I’d be getting Hannebery and Hill off your books to free up some cash. Jones looks ok at times.

If all goes right they should be top 4-6 from 24 onwards.

Probably need to throw some coin at Urch as well you'd think.

So thats the thing.

No other club in their right mind would trade for him. They are better off to wait for him to be delisted once the trade period is finished, and get him for free.

This whole "hasnt been offered a contract" thing that all clubs do is ridiculous. It just allows other clubs to sit on their hands and wait for the player to become available.

Why would any club need to trade for him? He's UFA or if you want DFA. Under no circumstance would anyone need to trade for him.

The debate is if he gets picked up as a DFA or UFA. St Kilda definitely has not delisted him but like you say I'm unsure how that ends up playing out since we are also not willing to offer him a contract it seems.

Last edited:
So thats the thing.

With his Free Agent status, he can already move to whatever club he wants without needing to be a traded or without him being delisted.

Every season a team jumps from outside the 8 into the top 4 and I think St Kilda are best poised to be that side in 2022. They'd want Hunter Clark or Jade Gresham to take that next step and become 25 touch mids who can move the ball forward (though I prefer Gresh forward as I see him as one of the worst kicks going around)

Given the horrendous injury list this season to finish just outside the 8 was a miracle. Given a Melbourne type run with injuries its fair say top 4 is a real possiblity.

Given the horrendous injury list this season to finish just outside the 8 was a miracle. Given a Melbourne type run with injuries its fair say top 4 is a real possiblity.

Nah

We were not up to the mark this year, even with a good run, we were not going to make the top 4 this year.

Optimistic we can do really well next year though

Our draw as well. Every single one of our 10 double-up games this year was against a team who were in the top 8 at the time we played them.

Essendon on the other hand (who won 1 more game and finished 8th) for instance had double-ups against the two bottom teams and also Hawthorn (5th bottom), prior to them hitting their straps late.

It also seems pretty clear that our fitness levels were sub-par this year, which wouldn’t have helped.

It was one of those “everything that could go wrong, did go wrong” type years, yet we missed the 8 by a game and percentage (to a team that had a far easier draw than us).

So there’s an awful lot of upside if we can put it all together much more next year.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why would any club need to trade for him? He's UFA or if you want DFA. Under no circumstance would anyone need to trade for him.

The debate is if he gets picked up as a DFA or UFA. St Kilda definitely has not delisted him but like you say I'm unsure how that ends up playing out since we are also not willing to offer him a contract it seems.

No club will trade for him.

The bottom line is St.kilda wont get any compo for Dunstan, because they have come out and said he wont be offered a contract.

Why clubs do that is beyond me.

Same with West Coast and Jarrod Brander. Its actually worse for them, because he isn't a free agent.

No club will trade for him.

The bottom line is St.kilda wont get any compo for Dunstan, because they have come out and said he wont be offered a contract.

Why clubs do that is beyond me.

Same with West Coast and Jarrod Brander. Its actually worse for them, because he isn't a free agent.

We will get compo which will be determined by the AFL. We need the points for the NGA players who are rated 15-25 in this years draft.

Still have questions around their list.

Besides Steele who think is a star, there isn't a player that jumps at you with 'star' like qualities. Actually Max King is probably one who I think will explode next year.

I still have question marks over Brad Crouch and Zac Jones. While good solid role players, they aren't in the calibre of Petracca, Oliver, Bontempelli, Bailey Smith and Ollie Wines.
In 8 seasons of his career Zak Jones has not a season where he's played every game. This is due to injury most of the time and form. I struggle to think how his body will hold up as he gets older. Crouch was able to get his body right this year and played a solid role. But he'll be 28 next year so again, can he take his game to another level?

Their defence is a bit of a worry. It was probably obvious when they went and recruited James Frawley to add further depth. Frawley and Carlile are have now retired so that makes their depth quite thin. Howard is an okay player, but again he wouldn't even be top 10 defenders of the game.

Forward line is pretty good. The form of King in the last few games just gives you real glimpse of the star he can become. Really rate him highly and you can easily build a forward line around him for the next few years. Sharman will be a handy player for them once he gets a full pre season under his belt. Love his contested marking and work rate to get up the field. They have some handy small forwards who can easily play their role pretty well. Higgins, Butler and Gresham are good impact players and provide good pressure around the forward 50 arc.

Going into next year I still have question marks over Hill, Ryder, Hannerbery, Ross and Billings to a lower degree.

Still have questions around their list.

Besides Steele who think is a star, there isn't a player that jumps at you with 'star' like qualities. Actually Max King is probably one who I think will explode next year.

I still have question marks over Brad Crouch and Zac Jones. While good solid role players, they aren't in the calibre of Petracca, Oliver, Bontempelli, Bailey Smith and Ollie Wines.
In 8 seasons of his career Zak Jones has not a season where he's played every game. This is due to injury most of the time and form. I struggle to think how his body will hold up as he gets older. Crouch was able to get his body right this year and played a solid role. But he'll be 28 next year so again, can he take his game to another level?

Their defence is a bit of a worry. It was probably obvious when they went and recruited James Frawley to add further depth. Frawley and Carlile are have now retired so that makes their depth quite thin. Howard is an okay player, but again he wouldn't even be top 10 defenders of the game.

Forward line is pretty good. The form of King in the last few games just gives you real glimpse of the star he can become. Really rate him highly and you can easily build a forward line around him for the next few years. Sharman will be a handy player for them once he gets a full pre season under his belt. Love his contested marking and work rate to get up the field. They have some handy small forwards who can easily play their role pretty well. Higgins, Butler and Gresham are good impact players and provide good pressure around the forward 50 arc.

Going into next year I still have question marks over Hill, Ryder, Hannerbery, Ross and Billings to a lower degree.

This is a fair post.

Max King will be a superstar. I think you will see Marshall have an enormous year next year too.

The rest of our list needs to step up, but the positive thing is we have a glut of players in the age and experience range where we should expect a lot of that natural improvement. The problem is there is no guarantee they will. We can only hope.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back