Recommitted Darcy MacPherson [contracted and staying at Gold Coast]

Remove this Banner Ad

They were given to you as an asset to help you take more talent to improve on field. Not so that you could throw them away in some fire sale to bribe another club for salary cap relief due to inept management.

If the afl wanted it to be used for salary cap relief, they would have just given you that.

What gives you so much confidence in knowing why the AFL gave them the pick? Lots of bluster but no idea really. The Suns were given the pick by the AFL's press release to deliver long-term success, I can't find any other phrasing or that they MUST draft kids with the picks - I'd say salary dumping the likes of Macpherson, Brodie & Wright to increase their chances of keeping Rankine, Lukosius and King is the exact definition of trying to achieve long-term success!

It is a strange trade thread.
Both clubs involved are happy.
Everyone attached to a club not involved is grumpy.
That would be because it’s not really in the spirit of the game. everyone had grown tired of the GC hand outs and every one has grown tired of the Kangaroos being kissed on the d1ck. Also the attitude of kangaroos supporters on the back of winning nothing with the exception of the wooden spoon is wearing thin.
If the AFL has a modicum of integrity this won’t be passed.

That would be because it’s not really in the spirit of the game. everyone had grown tired of the GC hand outs and every one has grown tired of the Kangaroos being kissed on the d1ck. Also the attitude of kangaroos supporters on the back of winning nothing with the exception of the wooden spoon is wearing thin.
If the AFL has a modicum of integrity this won’t be passed.
Just curious what or how do you mean we are kissed.

What an interesting take. I wonder if you’d have thrown as big of a hissy fit if Carlton had thought progressively enough to do a similar trade. Might be presumptuous of me, but I expect you’d be claiming that it’s smart strategy and that we need to be more like US sport!

I personally don’t see any issue with clubs doing this & hope we see more of it in the future.

It’s a lot smarter then burning first round picks & millions of cap space on half back flankers…
We tried with Lobbe but the AFL blocked it.

Last edited:
I don’t think anyone has any issue with North and Gold Coast reaching a mutually beneficial deal.

It’s more that other clubs have tried the same thing previously and the AFL blocked it (Mayne and Lobbe). Now all of a sudden the AFL have manufactured another priority pick and are potentially going to allow a similar trade to suit their own agenda. At the same time Gold Coast are chasing free agents and fringe players like Dunstan when they don’t have enough list spots or salary cap.

Remember your club traded pick 100+ for Rhys Palmer in the same year it got Marchbank and Pickett for a late first. At the time, this was a good deal, a recent pick 4 and pick 6 along with a 2nd rounder for a late 1st and change. It's just no one gives a fu** now because Palmer was sh*t, Pickett was sh*t, and Marchbank was mediocre before injury struck.

Palmer played 1 game in 1 season for Carlton before being delisted. Salary dump or what?

If Macpherson goes the way of Palmer and we also use pick 19 on some Carlton-esque draft pick, then no one will remember this deal.

It's not a handout, it's just identifying a way of getting in another draft pick because our list is too sh*t to have maximum cap taken. Apart from Polec, McGovern (oh) and Zac Williams (oh), we haven't massively overpaid a player either.
Calm down.

I don’t think anyone has any issue with North and Gold Coast reaching a mutually beneficial deal.

It’s more that other clubs have tried the same thing previously and the AFL blocked it (Mayne and Lobbe). Now all of a sudden the AFL have manufactured another priority pick and are potentially going to allow a similar trade to suit their own agenda. At the same time Gold Coast are chasing free agents and fringe players like Dunstan when they don’t have enough list spots or salary cap.
I think a clearer explanation of what is and isn't allowed would be a good idea.
I would guess something has to be going both ways.
Lobbe + 34 for nothing would never be cleared by the AFL.
DMac+19 for 2022 3rd rounder is different clearly.

I think a clearer explanation of what is and isn't allowed would be a good idea.
I think your example is a long bow to draw, the AFL could easily have asked Carlton to add some worthless late pick to the Lobbe deal to ensure something was going the other way if that was the issue.

But yes the AFL should clarify what defines an acceptable or unacceptable trade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The purpose of the trade is exactly the same and everyone knows it

The purpose of the trade is exactly the same and everyone knows it
I could understand a salary dump if he were contracted long term but he’s contracted til end of 2022 only. Surely the Suns can manage their cap for 2022 and then just delist the guy. Next year is the year all their players are OOC. Why donate a pick. Mindless cap management. Is it Roos 2022 second coming back or third. If third the Suns list manager needs firing.

Initially this looks a great deal for North but I am worried that in the long run it may bight us on the ass. As most north supporters and other clubs know we have a number kids coming out out of contract who will attract plenty of interest. A 500k deal for a middle of the road player and pick #19 might actually cost us in 12 months.

I could understand a salary dump if he were contracted long term but he’s contracted til end of 2022 only. Surely the Suns can manage their cap for 2022 and then just delist the guy. Next year is the year all their players are OOC. Why donate a pick. Mindless cap management. Is it Roos 2022 second coming back or third. If third the Suns list manager needs firing.
Did you see now many picks Suns get? Not only priority picks but free pre-listing. Just last year Suns pre-listed Jeffrey and Davies who were projected to go 1st round. Suns are already publicly saying they will probably use only 2 picks in the draft. During this 3 year concession period, picks value for Suns is very different from other clubs value, like it or not.

Yes, I also believe both Macpherson and Brodie can stay this year and the cap will survive. The point is that they are not part of future plans, so why not to build some space now for future re-signing, trades. In the end, every club has to spend 95% of TPP. There is only 600-700K difference between min spend and going over the cap unless the club saved some money over 2 years and can go up to 105%.

Did you see now many picks Suns get? Not only priority picks but free pre-listing. Just last year Suns pre-listed Jeffrey and Davies who were projected to go 1st round. Suns are already publicly saying they will probably use only 2 picks in the draft. During this 3 year concession period, picks value for Suns is very different from other clubs value, like it or not.

Yes, I also believe both Macpherson and Brodie can stay this year and the cap will survive. The point is that they are not part of future plans, so why not to build some space now for future re-signing, trades. In the end, every club has to spend 95% of TPP. There is only 600-700K difference between min spend and going over the cap unless the club saved some money over 2 years and can go up to 105%.
Suns has picks 3,19,22,43,55,58,66,76 and you said that the Suns will be only selecting 2 players in the draft.

Do you think that Gold Coast will do more salary dumps, upgrade picks or swap for future picks?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back