Which team out of Adelaide, North and Hawthorn has the better youth?

Which team has the better youth?

• Adelaide

Votes: 315 28.3%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 335 30.1%
  • North

Votes: 462 41.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's funny how the decision to bid on JUH has impacted the public perception of Thilthorpe.

Had he been selected #1, I think most people would have him in the same conversation as Ben King, Max King, Harry McKay and Aaron Naughton, as one of the most valuable players in the competition. As important as Tarryn Thomas and Jason Horne-Francis are, there's definitely a case to be made that you'd take Thilthorpe ahead of both. They're definitely all in a class of their own though when you're ranking the young talent across the three clubs.

Neg Guy really did a number on the Pies list.

Do they have an up and coming key forward or key defender that look the goods? No one comes to mind.

Cameron is 26 and might eventually be a B Grader. Quaynor is about their only established player under 25 who looks like he's going to be a star. Poulter and Macrae may do, but they've only played a handful of games each. Henry looks ok, but they really need a tall forward. Not sure Lipinski is a great pick up, and the jury is out on Krueger.

Looking at their best 22 from AFL.com, the spine is quite thin going forward.
Pies fans will be really hoping that Moore stays fit and doesn't leave as a FA at the end of 2022.

B: Brayden Maynard, Jordan Roughead, Jack Crisp
HB: Jeremy Howe, Darcy Moore, Isaac Quaynor
C:
Josh Daicos, Scott Pendlebury, Steele Sidebottom
HF: Jordan De Goey, Brody Mihocek, Oliver Henry
F:
Will Hoskin-Elliott, Darcy Cameron, Jamie Elliott
FOLL: Brodie Grundy, Taylor Adams, Patrick Lipinski
I/C: Nathan Kreuger, Trent Bianco, Beau McCreery, John Noble

Krueger will be at full forward. Cameron will be at CHF (third most contested marks in the comp last year) Checkers third tall forward.

I'd also have Ruscoe, Jordan De Goey and Nick Daicos in that team. I'm pretty sure JDG will be available for round 1 as the case against him seems to have gotten progressively weaker since it was first reported. Also not so sure about Bianco. Any one of Poulter, Ginnivan or Macrae could get a game ahead of him and Reef Mcinnes, who had big wraps on him ahead of last year's draft, could force his way into the team.

The main differences of opinion I seem to have with the posters on this thread are:

I believe last year's pre season and other ongoing dramas derailed the season and having that sorted now will see an improvement.

I think the kids we have drafted in the last three years from Ruscoe through to N Daicos will improve us in in 2022

Lipinski and Krueger will be in our best 22 and improve us. There were just other people ahead of them at their previous clubs but they seem like the could be AFL standard. Which is why their old clubs didn't want them to go.

The new coaching team will also rejuvenate the players with a new game plan and fresh ideas. The team had become stale under Buckley and the constant speculation about his future didn't help either.

Of course at his stage of the year it's all speculation and everyone is entitled to their opinion. The great thing is we'll get find out who was right as the season unfolds.

Last edited:
Krueger will be at full forward. Cameron will be at CHF (third most contested marks in the comp last year) Checkers third tall forward.

I'd also have Ruscoe, Jordan De Goey and Nick Daicos in that team. I'm pretty sure JDG will be available for round 1 as the case against him seems to have gotten progressively weaker since it was first reported. Also not so sure about Bianco. Any one of Poulter, Ginnivan or Macrae could get a game ahead of him and Reef Mcinnes, who had big wraps on him ahead of last year's draft, could force his way into the team.

I guess the main differences of opinion I have with the posters on this thread are:

I believe last year's pre season and other ongoing dramas derailed the season and having that sorted now will see an improvement.

I think the kids we have drafted in the last three years from Ruscoe through to N Daicos will improve us in in 2022

I have faith that Lipinski and Krueger will be in our best 22 and improve us.

The new coaching team will also rejuvenate the players with a new game plan and fresh ideas. The team had become stale under Buckley and the constant speculation about his future didn't help either.

Of course at his stage of the year it's all speculation and everyone is entitled to their opinion. The great thing is we'll get find out who was right as the season unfolds.

It’s more blind optimism then speculation.

Collingwood supporters lose all credibility as soon as they infer that the Stephenson trade didn’t hurt them. Despite his BMX episode, he still averaged 20 odd disposals & 1 goal, which of Collingwoods kids are producing this? His 38 disposal game against West Coast, or his 20+ disposal 3 goal game against Carlton, are better then any of Collingwoods 21 year old & unders produced in 2021.

Then let’s not forget trading 2021 Pick 2 (Finn Callaghan) for 2x 2020 Pick 30s. The worst pick swap I can remember.

In fairness, Fly appears to be a good coach (actually quite in the Noble mould IMO), however it takes longer then 1 preseason to get a new game plan up and running.

The main differences of opinion I seem to have with the posters on this thread are:

Lipinski and Krueger will be in our best 22 and improve us. There were just other people ahead of them at their previous clubs but they seem like the could be AFL standard. Which is why their old clubs didn't want them to go.

Matt Rendell has said it will be a very, very quick rebound for the Pies and that they could potentially make top 4 in 2022.:think:
I don't see it, I've got them bottom 4 but interesting that others in the know see things differently.

Matt Rendell has said it will be a very, very quick rebound for the Pies and that they could potentially make top 4 in 2022.:think:
I don't see it, I've got them bottom 4 but interesting that others in the know see things differently.

Personally I blame all the dramas we had for last season's drop off. Now with that all sorted out and JDG's legal issue to be sorted out before round 1, I see us shooting back up the ladder. Whether it plays out that way remains to be seen.

It’s more blind optimism then speculation.

Collingwood supporters lose all credibility as soon as they infer that the Stephenson trade didn’t hurt them. Despite his BMX episode, he still averaged 20 odd disposals & 1 goal, which of Collingwoods kids are producing this? His 38 disposal game against West Coast, or his 20+ disposal 3 goal game against Carlton, are better then any of Collingwoods 21 year old & unders produced in 2021.

Then let’s not forget trading 2021 Pick 2 (Finn Callaghan) for 2x 2020 Pick 30s. The worst pick swap I can remember.

In fairness, Fly appears to be a good coach (actually quite in the Noble mould IMO), however it takes longer then 1 preseason to get a new game plan up and running.
Agreed . And they had 2 coaches last year with I gather slightly different styles. Being the 3rd coach inside 6 months will have some teething problems you would suspect.

Personally I blame all the dramas we had for last seasons drop off. Now with that all sorted out and JDG's legal issue to be sorted out before round 1 I see us shooting back up the ladder. Whether it plays out that way remains to be seen.
Certainly no argument on the off -field issues. Did not help.
I just don't think they have the cattle to shoot back up the ladder. Time will tell .:thumbsu:

if Collingwood do move up the ladder significantly it'll be the blip before a total crash and bottom out, like when North barely missed the finals in 2018 with 12 wins. We should've started thinking about a rebuild before that instead of trying to gear up and go again after falling short in 2014/2015, it would've lessened the pain of the last couple of years significantly. Collingwood would be better off having a year like North just did under David Noble, coaching for the future instead of trying to grab wins with stop gap solutions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s probably worth mentioning the decline in form from Pendlebury and Sidebottom. Their decline was a big factor in finishing bottom 2. For a long period of time they were your 2 best mids and relied upon heavily. You will get improvement from younger players, but you will also get decline from older players that have been important cogs in your team.

You can’t discount the damage losing Stephenson, Treloar and Phillips has had either. A quality midfielder, an exceptional young talent and a best 22 player suddenly gone with little return.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It’s probably worth mentioning the decline in form from Pendlebury and Sidebottom. Their decline was a big factor in finishing bottom 2. For a long period of time they were your 2 best mids and relied upon heavily. You will get improvement from younger players, but you will also get decline from older players that have been important cogs in your team.

You can’t discount the damage losing Stephenson, Treloar and Phillips has had either. A quality midfielder, an exceptional young talent and a best 22 player suddenly gone with little return.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Yep. and Sidebottom and Pendlebury aren't going to get any better. Certainly damage to morale, but their playing stocks have dipped substantially.

Sorry if you’ve answered this previously, but as of right now (things may have changed since you voted and may change in the future), looking solely at players 24 and under, how do you rank the 3 sides?
As of March 2021 i voted North since i hadn't see the youth that ended up debuting over 2021 and our youth we've just got through this draft (MSD/PSD) aswell.

I'd probably have North and us pretty close while Adelaide are slightly behind.

Think if you look by position.

Our defense is clearly the best.
Norths midfield is clearly the best.
All have decent forwardlines, i'd say North/Hawks just ahead in this.

While Adelaide are pretty balanced all round.

Also rucks would be a mix of us and Adelaide (we have two young rucks who have shown to be talented) with North having some talent but probably a little less proven and also still have Goldy no1 ruck while Adelaide have ROB as their main ruck for a while but he's 26.

Be interested to read the thoughts of Crows fans about their kids ? This seems now to becoming a North v Hawks banter thread.

Crows backline minus Doedee going forwards does worry me quite a bit actually.

I can see them leaking more goals than the Hawks or Roos next season.

It has certainly devolved into one of those shitfights, however we've got to let Hawks/North fans, and that one Collingwood lad enjoy their fleeting optimism before it's inevitably crushed in '22.

Still, when it comes to Adelaide's kids, we're seemingly in a nice position (despite having 32 players < 30 games, which is a staggering amount considering Hawks/Coll/North/GCS are around 23-25). Going on what we saw on field, we have Thilthorpe to anchor the forward line, and looks an even better prospect compared to what we drafted. We've found our key back pairing in Butts and Murray, and both showed enough in 2021 to indicate they'll develop into high quality defenders. Schoenberg has shown he's an A grade mid in the making as well with some big performances in the back end as the highlights. The game now is just finding out who else can be built around, but it's a promising start.

We also have some interesting lads starting to come through the pipeline who could bolster that group in Cook, Rachele, Berry, Gollant, Taylor, Pedlar, Jones, Worrell, Parnell, McHenry etc. On top of potential bouncebacks from Sholl, McPherson, Hately and Hamill who all didn't have a 2021 that went to plan.

Last edited:
The team with this guy. Everything else is a luxury

Take my word for it. He will be a star.

I live in SA. I am a south Adelaide Panthers fan in the sanfl. The guy is a versatile mid.

barnrokn your mob North Melbourne chose wisely on getting this bloke at pick 1.

I was at all 3 finals south played at adelaide oval. beat north in the Elim final then beat norwood in the semi final then lost to Glenelg in the preliminary final.

He performed well in all 3 finals. He nearly tore Glenelg apart in the final quarter of that preliminary final.

Wow, didn’t think this would need explaining for an 8th time, but here we are.

Totals are only comparable if both players have played the same amount of games.
Lol

All hail Adrian McAdam, greatest footballer in history.

totals don’t matter, what ******* drugs are you demented campaigners talking about?

go and have a lie down.

Would Hawthorn swap Worpel for LDU? Yes, everyone (99% of fans wouid)
Would North Melbourne/Anyone in history of the sport swap Larkey for Mitch Lewis? No. Not a single person.

Hawthorn aren’t a young developing team who are young and crap like us, they are just old and crap.

That’s not having a go at Hawthorn, because they are the #1 club in the Comp (without argument), it’s just a statement of fact. They have also lost a game changing and extraordinarily brilliant coach, something that has separated them from other clubs for more than a decade.

I felt like I was taking crazy pills reading it

Our supporters are bat-s**t crazy delusional too, make no mistake, but I can’t accept delusional ramblings.

by the reckoning JWS, should have made the TOTC as he played in 2 finals, andwas best on ground in 1. The fact he never played another game, is an irrelevance.

Rule 1, If you can’t get on the park, you’re of no use to anyone irrespective of how good you might be once you return.

He’s basically a slightly more rounded version of Tom Curran (Lewis), in fact I’d say Tom Curran was better than Lewis based on nothing more than his stroll in the mounting yard - * the lad could walk well.

Take my word for it. He will be a star.

I live in SA. I am a south Adelaide Panthers fan in the sanfl. The guy is a versatile mid.

barnrokn your mob North Melbourne chose wisely on getting this bloke at pick 1.

I was at all 3 finals south played at adelaide oval. beat north in the Elim final then beat norwood in the semi final then lost to Glenelg in the preliminary final.

He performed well in all 3 finals. He nearly tore Glenelg apart in the final quarter of that preliminary final.
1641929763260.jpeg

Lol

All hail Adrian McAdam, greatest footballer in history.

totals don’t matter, what ******* drugs are you demented campaigners talking about?

go and have a lie down.

I can't believe you have decided to open this can of worms all over again.

No Hawthorn supporter is saying Lewis is ahead of Larkey - they are only arguing that the gap between is not a "giant chasm" as is being made out.

That is being evidenced by Hawthorn supporters looking at goal average, possession average, contested marking average, contested possession average, marking average, tackle average and everything else to make a summation of the players (all of which Lewis leads bar 0.3 in goal average, though Larkey trailed only 12 games ago). Larkey's fantastic second half of the season is what elevates him above Lewis and is beyond what Lewis has produced thus far but it is not a 'giant chasm' as analysis of all the data clearly indicates.

The only argument being made for a 'giant chasm' is using the total of a solitary stat (despite extra games being played due to injury). No other player comparison ever does this. IF it did, Sav Rocca would be considered better than Wayne Carey, Brent Harvey would be considered better than Michael Voss, Ben Dixon better than Cyril Rioli, John Coleman would be rubbish and so on.

The counter examples used (Adrian McAdam, Lenny Hayes vs Jai Newcombe, etc) are completely disingenuous as you are only comparing the average of 1 stat, which is the complete opposite of what Hawthorn fans are trying to do. Not to mention, in the second example, a 300+ gamer is being compared to a 3 gamer which is so far from comparing 2 players with 15 games difference.

Is Larkey ahead at this stage? Yes. Could he remain so for the remainder of his career? Quite possible (perhaps even probable) Is there a 'ginat chasm' between what they have shown as players thus far? No, not really. Certainly not so much that Larkey would be the 2nd tall picked from these 3 clubs and Lewis would not even be top 10, which is what originally started this silly argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back