Which team out of Adelaide, North and Hawthorn has the better youth?

Which team has the better youth?

• Adelaide

Votes: 315 28.3%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 335 30.1%
  • North

Votes: 462 41.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Smith isn't a midfielder and if you're bringing wings into it then Sholl also has to be included. Sure seedsman is old but with a 21 and 24 year old coming up to be the main wingers it still isnt a problem.
Wingers are midfielders in my opinion.

Sholl is a pretty decent player, hard runner and a good kick but his form dropped late last year (maybe just cooked?)

Schoenberg averaged 18 touches a game this year in his second year Worpel’s lowest game was 19 touches and he averaged 26.5 touches. Clearances (139-67) and contested possessions (265-163) also well in favour of Worps.

The big change is the role Worps has been given since 2019. Whenever he’s given the opportunity he’s taken it.

Obviously Schoenberg has time to improve but he’s got a way to go. And might well end up the better player but comparing 2nd years there is no contest.
Schoenberg uses the ball better than Worpel & has wonderful vision.

Confident he will be the classier of the 2.

Wingers are midfielders in my opinion.

Sholl is a pretty decent player, hard runner and a good kick but his form dropped late last year (maybe just cooked?)
Oh I think most adelaide fans agree he just didnt have the tank for a full season, he just seemed to get a bit puffed. I'm not too worried with Burgo managing his fitness.

McEvoy won't play as a main ruck.

Reeves will or Lynch. McEvoy is merely a tap out for one of them playing forward.
Just like Sloane is likely to play mainly outside the midfield... so similar scenario.

Thanks Sandra…. What about every other player on each list?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
As i mentioned, Seedsman is also older than most of our mids and was arguably one of Adelaides best players and if AA sides picked wingers he'd be arguably first picked or close to it.
Seedsman 30
Brodie Smith 30
Sloane 32
Laird 28
Crouch 26 (turns 27)
Keays 24 (turning 25)
Dawson 24 (turns 25)

Outside of these players
Shoenberg is a good young player, proven that he's good and will likely play alot of games and at a pretty high standard.
Josh Rachele will turn into a MID-FWD and looks to be a player.

There's some others who've been drafted like Zac Taylor who looks he could be a handy player, i am actually a big fan, surprised he dropped that far.

Berry showed a little, he's a tough player and loves a tackle.
There's Cook aswell who looks talented.
Aswell as Pedlar who i like.

Hately too but unsure on him atm.

Point is, look at the ages of alot of the main stays in the Adelaide midfield last year or the players that will play in 2022.

Seeds will lock a wing, Smith will play wing but also HB.
Sloane will play probably everywhere as a leader.
Laird will lock a mid spot.
Crouch fit will def play as a mid.
Keays also locked in as a mid.
Dawson wing/mid but could also spend time as a half back, very versatile so.

Also Schoenberg.

And the kids who may, Berry will, Rachele starts FWD, Cook i'd suspect gets more games, Pedlar too and Hately unsure.

If you look at ours atleast in my opinion.
Titch 28 (turns 29)
Jaeger 27 (turns 28)
Are the main two older midfielders, there's others like Howe but i suspect he'll be more depth (26)
Wingard MID-FWD (28)

The likely demographic of Hawks midfield has 2-3 late 20s players.
But they likely have more kids playing aswell, with less in the 25 range.
25 is probably around the time you want your players to prime for a flag, to start gelling together. Abit like how Melbourne went with Clarry (arguably earlier tho)

I guess it depends how many kids you play aswell as how experienced the players are, it doesn't matter if they are late 20s teaching the kids or if it's a range of kids, mid 20s and late 20s (or a couple 30s.)

Oh I think most adelaide fans agree he just didnt have the tank for a full season, he just seemed to get a bit puffed. I'm not too worried with Burgo managing his fitness.
Yeah, he's an unreal runner so he shouldn't have too many issues long term.

I have our midfield something like as follows, including rotations...

Ruck: O'Brien (26) with Thilthorpe (19) relieving
Inside mids: Laird (28), Keays (24), Crouch (26), Schoenberg (20)
Outside mids: Dawson (24), Seedsman (30), Sholl (21)

No one needs replacing anytime soon, except Seedman in a few years.

As i mentioned, Seedsman is also older than most of our mids and was arguably one of Adelaides best players and if AA sides picked wingers he'd be arguably first picked or close to it.
Seedsman 30
Brodie Smith 30
Sloane 32
Laird 28
Crouch 26 (turns 27)
Keays 24 (turning 25)
Dawson 24 (turns 25)

Outside of these players
Shoenberg is a good young player, proven that he's good and will likely play alot of games and at a pretty high standard.
Josh Rachele will turn into a MID-FWD and looks to be a player.

There's some others who've been drafted like Zac Taylor who looks he could be a handy player, i am actually a big fan, surprised he dropped that far.

Berry showed a little, he's a tough player and loves a tackle.
There's Cook aswell who looks talented.
Aswell as Pedlar who i like.

Hately too but unsure on him atm.

Point is, look at the ages of alot of the main stays in the Adelaide midfield last year or the players that will play in 2022.

Seeds will lock a wing, Smith will play wing but also HB.
Sloane will play probably everywhere as a leader.
Laird will lock a mid spot.
Crouch fit will def play as a mid.
Keays also locked in as a mid.
Dawson wing/mid but could also spend time as a half back, very versatile so.

Also Schoenberg.

And the kids who may, Berry will, Rachele starts FWD, Cook i'd suspect gets more games, Pedlar too and Hately unsure.

If you look at ours atleast in my opinion.
Titch 28 (turns 29)
Jaeger 27 (turns 28)
Are the main two older midfielders, there's others like Howe but i suspect he'll be more depth (26)
Wingard MID-FWD (28)

The likely demographic of Hawks midfield has 2-3 late 20s players.
But they likely have more kids playing aswell, with less in the 25 range.
25 is probably around the time you want your players to prime for a flag, to start gelling together. Abit like how Melbourne went with Clarry (arguably earlier tho)

I guess it depends how many kids you play aswell as how experienced the players are, it doesn't matter if they are late 20s teaching the kids or if it's a range of kids, mid 20s and late 20s (or a couple 30s.)
There is so much wrong with this post, that I don't know where to start...

Ben McEvoy got 370 hit outs last year.

Not bad for a non-ruckman.

Just saying.
McEvoy is definitely not a non-ruckman, but it's up in the air as to what percentage he spends in there going forward, with Reeves and Lynch knocking on the door.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McEvoy is definitely not a non-ruckman, but it's up in the air as to what percentage he spends in there going forward, with Reeves and Lynch knocking on the door.
So you agree that you do have the oldest player in the middle. ;)

You got there eventually...

I have our midfield something like as follows, including rotations...

Ruck: O'Brien (26) with Thilthorpe (19) relieving
Inside mids: Laird (28), Keays (24), Crouch (26), Schoenberg (20)
Outside mids: Dawson (24), Seedsman (30), Sholl (21)

No one needs replacing anything soon, except Seedman in a few years.
Obviously every fan has a different view on the team they want or whatever.

I'll do it for what it likely will be late in the year, rather than early as we don't know when draftees debut and so on (even tho i suspect we have a fair few debut early).

Mine would be:
Ruck: Ned Reeves (23) with Mitch Lewis (23) relieving (Or Lynch if he plays.)
Inside Mids: Tom Mitchell (28), Jaeger O'Meara (27), James Worpel (Just turned 23), Josh Ward (18)
Outside Mids: Lachlan Bramble (23), Day/Scrimshaw (One will move up and Day is 20, Scrimshaw 23), Dan Howe?

There's a bunch who are around this (older depth, or pushing young players).
Connor MacDonald likely debuts early as a balanced mid, Finn Maginness likely to feature early and has been very good in the pre season so far.
Connor Nash who showed a fair bit late in the year as a super tall mid option (almost 200cm), Jai Newcombe who's in his first afl pre season and who showed a bit again last year. Connor Downie looks good, has developed his non pref a fair amount, still looks built and looks good, very Isaac Smith with his absolute cannon of a left (Wing option).

Sam Butler abit like Rachele likely to start forward when he plays and move into the guts.
Ned Long who already looks like a prime aged 25 year old in the nick of his life, huge man and looks pretty good.

And as a i said Lynch may play, could be early or later. Could replace McEvoy or he could fill in if Reeves is injured, or if he pushes past. Idk he looks talented and showed abit in the few games he has played.

There's the mid tier with Dan Howe (if he is in the side or not idk), Tom Phillips (also about 25)

Shiels aswell but unlikely to get games as a mid, very unlikely and more likely to eventually be depth and as a half forward option.

We also might see CJ (22) come up to a wing. There will likely be 1/2 half backs to a wing.

So it's no where near as bad as people make it out to be, even if it is arguably our weakest part.

You've got your late 20s in Titch and Jaeger (aswell as Wingard who will roll through).

Worpel, Ward who likely play very early, aswell as one of MacDonald, Maginness, Nash, Newcombe who are all young mids (again.)

While there might also be more, Bramble, (HB moving to a wing, Scrimshaw/Day/CJ) and Dan Howe (will play games just depends on how many), not old nor young at 25/26.

View attachment 1316732
He sits 13th all time for hit outs.
He is 100% a ruckman.
But he is also a defender
and a forward.
He's been a star.
I don't reckon Sam will have him playing as a defender or forward too often though. That was crazy Clarko really trying to stem the bleeding at times, and although it came off I don't see it happening much under Mitchell. Unless resting of course.

He's been a star.
I don't reckon Sam will have him playing as a defender or forward too often though. That was crazy Clarko really trying to stem the bleeding at times, and although it came off I don't see it happening much under Mitchell. Unless resting of course.
He won't play defense ever again, but he will play forward. Like last year.

Obviously every fan has a different view on the team they want or whatever.

I'll do it for what it likely will be late in the year, rather than early as we don't know when draftees debut and so on (even tho i suspect we have a fair few debut early).

Mine would be:
Ruck: Ned Reeves (23) with Mitch Lewis (23) relieving (Or Lynch if he plays.)
Inside Mids: Tom Mitchell (28), Jaeger O'Meara (27), James Worpel (Just turned 23), Josh Ward (18)
Outside Mids: Lachlan Bramble (23), Day/Scrimshaw (One will move up and Day is 20, Scrimshaw 23), Dan Howe?

There's a bunch who are around this (older depth, or pushing young players).
Connor MacDonald likely debuts early as a balanced mid, Finn Maginness likely to feature early and has been very good in the pre season so far.
Connor Nash who showed a fair bit late in the year as a super tall mid option (almost 200cm), Jai Newcombe who's in his first afl pre season and who showed a bit again last year. Connor Downie looks good, has developed his non pref a fair amount, still looks built and looks good, very Isaac Smith with his absolute cannon of a left (Wing option).

Sam Butler abit like Rachele likely to start forward when he plays and move into the guts.
Ned Long who already looks like a prime aged 25 year old in the nick of his life, huge man and looks pretty good.

And as a i said Lynch may play, could be early or later. Could replace McEvoy or he could fill in if Reeves is injured, or if he pushes past. Idk he looks talented and showed abit in the few games he has played.

There's the mid tier with Dan Howe (if he is in the side or not idk), Tom Phillips (also about 25)

Shiels aswell but unlikely to get games as a mid, very unlikely and more likely to eventually be depth and as a half forward option.

We also might see CJ (22) come up to a wing. There will likely be 1/2 half backs to a wing.
You have compared apples with oranges, as you have picked a future team, not your likely starting team.

I could have done that my bringing in the likes of Berry, Pedlar, Jones, McHenry, Hamill, Hately, etc... & looky here our side is younger.

No it's as i explained it.

FWD/RUC rather than RUC/FWD.

Will play a fu** load forward, while letting the ruck whoever is playing rest.
Either he will play in the ruck or not.

Given he had 370 hitouts last year, I think it is very likely he will spend considerable time in the ruck.

It's hilarious in your named side you named 3 ruckmen ahead of him.

No one believes this lol.

You have compared apples with oranges, as you have picked a future team, not your likely starting team.

I could have done that my bringing in the likes of Berry, Pedlar, Jones, McHenry, Hamill, Hately, etc... & looky here our side is younger.
The difference is Sam is a new coach in his first season, we've seen how your coach wants to run it (atleast last year with last years players).

There's a big what will Sam do, he could do what i did early or he could play all the old blokes (very unlikely).

But nonetheless, MacDonald and Ward will likely debut early, i'd say Ward is almost a lock for R1, Worpel lock and the other two are late 20s mids (Titch/Jaeger)

Wings Bramble lock and we will see a half back or two move up purely out of the fact we have too many half backs and they're talented enough, just depended on who.

Hell i could of added more kids ontop of Worpel and Ward, there's 3 guts players, 2 bench mids and 2 wings aswell as HFF where MID-FWDs can rotate.

O'Meara likely plays more outside which gives even more opportunity for kids.

It may sound like a future side but it could genuinely happen very early, or it couldn't.

Either he will play in the ruck or not.

Given he had 370 hitouts last year, I think it is very likely he will spend considerable time in the ruck.

It's hilarious in your named side you named 3 ruckmen ahead of him.

No one believes this lol.

He will be a tap out ruckman. He'll likely play early and fade away as the season goes on.

He's probably the only change to the side i sent you, it'd be Reeves and McEvoy.

McEvoy will spend most of the game forward and tap Reeves out when he needs to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back