Free Agency Joe Daniher [RFA to Brisbane for 1st round compensation pick]

Going or staying?

• going

Votes: 166 91.2%
  • staying

Votes: 16 8.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s now obvious Brisbane received a leg up again. Not only did they get Daniher for free and keep their picks but they don’t have to deal with Dodo. How lucky are these guys or is it just another helping hand from head office?
we paid for Daniher 800k over 3 seasons not sure how it’s a leg up

It’s now obvious Brisbane received a leg up again. Not only did they get Daniher for free and keep their picks but they don’t have to deal with Dodo. How lucky are these guys or is it just another helping hand from head office?
Where’s the leg up? They’re reportedly paying Daniher $200k more a year than Crouch.

Nothing wrong with being pleased at getting pick 7, it's a tidy return. But it just makes last year's blunder not moving on an injury-riddled want-away all the more obvious.
2 draft picks wasn't enough at the trade table last year for many Bomber fans. Now pick 7 is a steal? Hmm...

in fairness, Essendon had a crack at turning him around and, while I personally think they were deluded and tone-deaf in that belief, they took a swing and it back-fired

so while I don't think it's a steal but it's probably fair to say that they 'dodged a bullet' because pick 7 seems generous by the AFL and it offsets the downside of the gamble they took

at the very least, Essendon had the grace to accept the compensation and process the deal swiftly (contrary to the snickerings of SOS and Matt Rendell on Trade Radio this week ;))

This thread is the gift that keeps on giving.

Essendon & Brisbane supporters seemingly OK with the outcome.

Every other club having meltdowns about it, totally misunderstanding how the compensation system works despite having it explained at least 10 times, in a way that a primary schooler would understand, and crying how the AFL is mean and nasty helping out Brisbane because the Queensland Government helped the AFL get a season done, because they can't understand that Brisbane are paying the bloke over $800,000 per year.

What a time.

Funny how Essendon and Brisbane fans are happy but other club fans are upset. Must mean it is a fair outcome.
I was surprised maybe a little bemused at the band 1 outcome. But at the end of the day we get our guy. Keep our picks. You guys get half decent compo. So a win win in reality. Not sure why others are so upset.

HAHAHA listen to this guy.

Firstly, you know SQUAT.

Secondly, Brisbane hasn't given up anything other than the salary. It's called free agency.
Firstly I accept is was a mistake about Lions giving up a 1st rounder...
big win for EFC...Daniher isn’t better value than Isaac Smith..
the rest is firsthand fact, if you read my posts going back over 12 months.

Don't think Joe needed to mention Essendon in his Brisbane top today.

Coulda just said I am really grateful for the chance to play football with the Lions in Brisbane.

Predict he is gonna receive a frosty reception from Essendon fans when he plays in Melbourne.

So now there's a hoo-ha over Joe's latest contract extension.

I didn't follow this too closely when it happened, but apparently Lions were originally going to offer Joe a $3m 5yr deal (average $600k).
Essendon said if the compo wasn't good enough that they'd match, so the deal ends up being $2.5m over 3yrs and triggers an acceptable compo for Essendon.
After 1yr at the club, he then signs a 2 year extension?

While they haven't technically done anything wrong and the AFL have signed off on the new deal, it's pretty obvious that they worked the system and took advantage of a loophole to make sure both Essendon and Brisbane were happy with the initial deal.

I'm sure this will all blow over and the AFL won't comment publicly about it.

I didn't follow this too closely when it happened, but apparently Lions were originally going to offer Joe a $3m 5yr deal (average $600k).
Essendon said if the compo wasn't good enough that they'd match, so the deal ends up being $2.5m over 3yrs and triggers an acceptable compo for Essendon.

While they haven't technically done anything wrong and the AFL have signed off on the new deal, it's pretty obvious that they worked the system and took advantage of a loophole to make sure both Essendon and Brisbane were happy with the initial deal.

I'll still prefer this collaborative (though perhaps a little dodgy) win / win approach rather than the standoffish 'accept our measly offer or we'll take him in the pre-season draft' threat negotiation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll still prefer this collaborative (though perhaps a little dodgy) win / win approach rather than the standoffish 'accept our measly offer or we'll take him in the pre-season draft' threat negotiation.
I can see both points of view, but that's partially Essendon's fault for not dealing him the year prior when they could have got a bigger return without the PSD even factoring into it.
One side always has more leverage than the other. You'll win some and you'll lose some.
Might be a win/win for Ess and Bris, but then the other clubs lose out by dropping in the draft order and possibly missing out on a player they had in their sights.

Yes. Win win for both clubs. Not really a loophole though. All clubs know what the compo will be once they see a contract and the contracts are put in front of them to decide whether they match or not. That article mentions algorithms, but i don't think its that complicated. Think the only ones that got their calculations mixed up were Adelaide when they thought St Kildas deal for Brad Crouch would net them a better compo pick

Yes. Win win for both clubs. Not really a loophole though. All clubs know what the compo will be once they see a contract and the contracts are put in front of them to decide whether they match or not. That article mentions algorithms, but i don't think its that complicated. Think the only ones that got their calculations mixed up were Adelaide when they thought St Kildas deal for Brad Crouch would net them a better compo pick
Well it mentions that their initial deal was for $3m over 5 years and that this wouldn't have got Essendon the compo they were after, so it was re-worked into more money (average) across 3 years to hit the trigger.
The (virtually) immediate extension is presumably on less money to lower the average over what is now effectively the original 5 year deal. Two birds, one stone. They got Ess the compo they wanted and ended up getting their initial 5 year deal on less money.
I'd say that's very much a loophole.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the AFL should step in and fine anybody or that any rules were broken. It's just interesting that they've clearly found and exploited this loophole and that other teams have noticed and asked the question (supposedly).

We negotiated a contract with Joe. We negotiated an extension to his contract.

Happens quite a bit.

Someone insert the Jurassic park nobody cares meme.

If it’s such a big deal change the compo system.

And yet Brad Crouch deal for the exact same thing got rejected by the AFL.
If a Victorian club stands to benefit it gets ticked off.

Well it mentions that their initial deal was for $3m over 5 years and that this wouldn't have got Essendon the compo they were after, so it was re-worked into more money (average) across 3 years to hit the trigger.
The (virtually) immediate extension is presumably on less money to lower the average over what is now effectively the original 5 year deal. Two birds, one stone. They got Ess the compo they wanted and ended up getting their initial 5 year deal on less money.
I'd say that's very much a loophole.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the AFL should step in and fine anybody or that any rules were broken. It's just interesting that they've clearly found and exploited this loophole and that other teams have noticed and asked the question (supposedly).
Yeah we agree that they used the system to advantage and to get an easy win win situation. I guess i can call it a loophole too, although id add its a very obvious one available to every single club. So not sure if any clubs are actually questioning it or the bloke that wrote the article just needed to add that in so he had an article to write.

Back