Preview Round 1 2022- Hawks v Roos MCG - Sunday March 20- 1.10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has Scott played as a 3rd tall defender? It's rhetorical. Walker isn't playing, Bonar unavailable. Who would you select to play as a 3rd tall down there?
Ziebell would be my choice. Obviously in an ideal world we have more then 3 key defenders on the list.

I understand your rationale, but I’m also not sure whether Young will play that role.

It is highly likely that one (or even both) of Young & Scott will spend a fair bit of time on a wing on Sunday. I think Powell should be playing ahead of whoever is going to be playing on a wing.

Ziebell would be my choice. Obviously in an ideal world we have more then 3 key defenders on the list.

I understand your rationale, but I’m also not sure whether Young will play that role.

It is highly likely that one (or even both) of Young & Scott will spend a fair bit of time on a wing on Sunday. I think Powell should be playing ahead of whoever is going to be playing on a wing.
Fair enough, I think Young has been selected on the back of his ability (perhaps not ability but rather more likely than the other two) to pinch hit down back. And given nobles mantra is versatility, if that wing needs to play back its probably not going to be Powell and certainly not if we go tall. I think Scott vs Powell a better discussion re horses for courses

Fair enough, I think Young has been selected on the back of his ability (perhaps not ability but rather more likely than the other two) to pinch hit down back. And given nobles mantra is versatility, if that wing needs to play back its probably not going to be Powell and certainly not if we go tall. I think Scott vs Powell a better discussion re horses for courses
Yeah I agree with all that.

I don’t want to see one of those limp, pissweak R1 efforts that was synonymous during the Scott era. It’s definitely a winnable game but fmd if it ends up a shitty, heads dropping, running out of gas 50 point loss. The guys that have been around 4-5 years must take charge of this team. Looking forward to seeing how JHF goes.

I don’t want to see one of those limp, pissweak R1 efforts that was synonymous during the Scott era. It’s definitely a winnable game but fmd if it ends up a shitty, heads dropping, running out of gas 50 point loss. The guys that have been around 4-5 years must take charge of this team. Looking forward to seeing how JHF goes.
Well all this whinging about selection isn't a good omen on that front. Hopefully the players are a bit less soft than some of these comments.

Powell has the body of a teenager, he can tackle but we don’t want him getting smashed
he can’t play man on man and he isn’t a runner like either of those blokes
i think it is the running that is the problem this week because the team is so big
just a thought

Yes, because Bailey Scott is basically Patrick Cripps.

It’s a flat out poor decision tbh.

ease up, he's played 20 something games. You may well be right and he doesn't make the grade, but if so, we're starting to develop some depth and others will get a crack. In the meantime, Noble's true to his philosophy and going with players who give him match day flexibility
Playing a s**t player at the expense of a good one isn’t an example of depth.

Perhaps by chance the Selection Committee, who observe the form of the players on a daily basis, might know a thing or two more about it than you do.
Mate everyone has seen Young play, he is not an unknown quantity.

The team already has a surplus of lowly skilled, turnover merchants (particularly down back). Adding another is just asking for trouble. We’re essentially making our weakness weaker.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's Reeves and it's interesting, i mean do you really have a matchup fwd for him at 211cm? Lynch will go forward aswell and starts there probably.
Haven't seen much of him, but can he clunk a contested mark the way a natural forward can? We could probably chuck Goldy behind the ball and I reckon he'd be able to mind Reeves or Lynch. Unless you play both of them forward at the same time, but that's a ******* tall forward line. Defensive pressure will be lacking if that's the case. Just as long as we aren't ******* stupid with our defensive matchups, I think we'll be able to handle it. More worried about your mob's rebounding ability out of our forward line tbh

Mate everyone has seen Young play, he is not an unknown quantity.

The team already has a surplus of lowly skilled, turnover merchants (particularly down back). Adding another is just asking for trouble. We’re essentially making our weakness weaker.

Another "expert" who knows more than the Match Committee.

If the "experts" here know more than those entrusted with coaching/training/selecting the team, then why don't we just sack all those people and use the "experts" here on Bigfooty? Would save a packet wouldn't it?

Haven't seen much of him, but can he clunk a contested mark the way a natural forward can? We could probably chuck Goldy behind the ball and I reckon he'd be able to mind Reeves or Lynch. Unless you play both of them forward at the same time, but that's a ******* tall forward line. Defensive pressure will be lacking if that's the case. Just as long as we aren't ******* stupid with our defensive matchups, I think we'll be able to handle it. More worried about your mob's rebounding ability out of our forward line tbh
Last year I would’ve said no but Reeves seems to be using his height more to his advantage and his marks are sticking. Lynch is athletic so it’s not too much of an issue for him his strength is around the ground. We won’t play both down there.

Another "expert" who knows more than the Match Committee.

If the "experts" here know more than those entrusted with coaching/training/selecting the team, then why don't we just sack all those people and use the "experts" here on Bigfooty? Would save a packet wouldn't it?
Just so you know - not all coaches are successful. Your assumption is that all coaches are good and all decisions they make are right. Some coaches are bad and don’t make good decisions with personnel or structure.

And fwiw I like Noble, think he seems like a good guy and like most fans I’m more than willing to give him time and patience. He is far from proven himself as a coach at the moment but he’s in a good position right now as he isn’t being judged on his results.

But.. this sort of selection is very concerning for a club in a rebuild. Nothing is gained by not playing Powell.

Just to provide a bit of context on the selection of Young ahead of Powell. Whoever came into the team to replace Josh Walker, who stands at 196 cm, needs to be both primarily a defender and have some height. Young is 189 cm and has played as a defender, Powell is 184 cm and is a midfielder. Lazzarro is 179 cm and is a small forward, Hayden is 186 cm and plays as a defender and Ford is, like Young, 189 cm but plays primarily as a forward.

If the Match Committee is doing its job properly, then it needs to take these matters into account when selecting a replacement for Walker; and in my view, that is why they have chosen Young. He best fits those two criteria.

Is Young a better footballer than Powell? No he is most certainly not, but, he is the best match for the role that needs to be performed this week.

On top of that, we are all rank outsiders when it comes to knowing where each player is at, what their strengths and weaknesses are and who is the best fit for any role in this Round 1 game.

Last edited:
Just so you know - not all coaches are successful. Your assumption is that all coaches are good and all decisions they make are right. Some coaches are bad and don’t make good decisions with personnel or structure.

And fwiw I like Noble, think he seems like a good guy and like most fans I’m more than willing to give him time and patience. He is far from proven himself as a coach at the moment but he’s in a good position right now as he isn’t being judged on his results.

But.. this sort of selection is very concerning for a club in a rebuild. Nothing is gained by not playing Powell.

Thanks Einstein. Who would ever have thought that? :rolleyes:

And where in this thread did I say that "all coaches are good"?

What I am saying is that the people in charge just might by chance have a better insight into who is required/best suited to replace Walker this week. None of us here on Bigfooty have anywhere near the inside knowledge that the coaching panel have, or should have.

Just to provide a bit of context on the selection of Young ahead of Powell. Whoever came into the team to replace Josh Walker, who stands at 196 cm, needs to be both primarily a defender and have some height. Young is 189 cm and has played as a defender, Powell is 184 cm and is a midfielder. Lazzarro is 179 cm and is a small forward, Hayden is 186 cm and plays as a defender and Ford is, like Young, 189 cm but plays primarily as a forward.

If the Match Committee is doing its job properly, then it needs to take these matters into account when selecting a replacement for Walker; and in my view, that is why they have chosen Young. He best fits those two criteria.

Is Young a better footballer than Powell? No he is most certainly not, but, he is the best match for the role that needs to be performed this week.

On top of that, we are all rank outsiders when it comes to knowing where each player is at, what their strengths and weaknesses are and who is the best fit for any role in this Round 1 game.
Thank you Horace, sanity prevails. Best explanation so far to the hysteria that has rained down here in BF since the team announcement.

Also as other's noted, Powell's direct competition right now are Polec and Scott. I can't recall the Melbourne game (trainwrecks will do that to you) however in the Swan's game both Polec and Scott out performed Powell across the duration of the game. Don't get me wrong Powelly had some special moments but the other two had more impact throughout.

I'm also disappointed he won't be gracing the G on Sunday however we want our coach and match committee to be selecting sides on player's form and structure to fit the game plan required against the opposition on the day, not on potential. We all know Tom's going to be a star but just not this week.

Thanks Einstein. Who would ever have thought that? :rolleyes:

And where in this thread did I say that "all coaches are good"?

What I am saying is that the people in charge just might by chance have a better insight into who is required/best suited to replace Walker this week. None of us here on Bigfooty have anywhere near the inside knowledge that the coaching panel have, or should have.
There is no way in the world that Powell isn’t in our best team and secondly add in the element of us being a rebuilding side and it’s even more mystifying.

Thank you Horace, sanity prevails. Best explanation so far to the hysteria that has rained down here in BF since the team announcement.

Also as other's noted, Powell's direct competition right now are Polec and Scott. I can't recall the Melbourne game (trainwrecks will do that to you) however in the Swan's game both Polec and Scott out performed Powell across the duration of the game. Don't get me wrong Powelly had some special moments but the other two had more impact throughout.

I'm also disappointed he won't be gracing the G on Sunday however we want our coach and match committee to be selecting sides on player's form and structure to fit the game plan required against the opposition on the day, not on potential. We all know Tom's going to be a star but just not this week.
So Powell was playing for his spot in a practice match against Sydney?

Last season and the significantly better performance than the alternate options counts for nothing does it?

Give me a break. The very fact that your argument is that he was playing for his spot in a practise match against Sydney only serves to highlight how weak your argument is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back