• James Rowe

• Harry Schoenverg

• Lachlan Sholl

• Rory Sloane

• Brodie Smith

• Jake Soligo (sub)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

With the skill level of most of our guys we’d be better off playing fast. Holding the ball up allowing defensive groups to get back results in even more precision being required. The patch of footy that turned the game against Freo was all about taking the game on and giving the forwards some quick ball movement to work with.
No arguments from me on that.

No he didn't, he played midfield at the U16's Championships and at that level before COVID reared it's ugly head playing very little footy from that point either at school or NAB League and only then did he play mainly forward. He was the Kevin Sheahan Medalist at the 2019 U16's Championships for the most outstanding player of the series and Vic Country MVP. He was named as a starting midfielder along with Ben Hobbs in that years U16's All Australian Team.....interestingly JHF was named at half forward. Josh is a genuine mid/forward if we choose to go down that path.
Cheers

A very accurate write up of the game and an "unbiased" view on our players although he does give the three musketeers a bit more credit than they deserve..

Now in hindsight would we prefer Beau MCreery pick 44 over Rowe who we took at pick 38? Both SA lads, early days on them both but MCreery looks to be very damaging.

A very accurate write up of the game and an "unbiased" view on our players although he does give the three musketeers a bit more credit than they deserve..

Now in hindsight would we prefer Beau MCreery pick 44 over Rowe who we took at pick 38? Both SA lads, early days on them both but MCreery loos to be very damaging.
People forget we actually used two picks on Rowe, we gave up a 2022 picks to move up the draft order to get Rowe

Now in hindsight would we prefer Beau MCreery pick 44 over Rowe who we took at pick 38? Both SA lads, early days on them both but MCreery looks to be very damaging.

So 37 touches at 81% gets you labelled one of the 'three muskateers' with two other guys that had negative impact?

Run with a midfield of Schoenberg, Hately and Cook then. Love to see what happens

Rockliff played a very similar role for the Lions in the early 2010's and was celebrated for doing his part in keeping a sinking ship above ground.

So 37 touches at 81% gets you labelled one of the 'three muskateers' with two other guys that had negative impact?

Run with a midfield of Schoenberg, Hately and Cook then. Love to see what happens

Rockliff played a very similar role for the Lions in the early 2010's and was celebrated for doing his part in keeping a sinking ship above ground.
Sorry Ben - I do admire your energy but your decision making is average.

What reasons did Brisbane give you when you were delisted?

Sorry Ben - I do admire your energy but your decision making is average.

What reasons did Brisbane give you when you were delisted?

Your response speaks volumes.

Guarantee you if this was another 25 year old that wasn't 'delisted' you'd be speaking differently. Many of you have this bias due solely to that fact. It's the only palpable reason a guy who's done everything and more to keep you afloat gets hated on like so.

Guarantee you if this was another 25 year old that wasn't 'delisted' you'd be speaking differently. Many of you have this bias due solely to that fact. It's the only palpable reason a guy who's done everything and more to keep you afloat gets hated on like so.

There's nothing wrong with Ben Keays. The hate he receives on here is a byproduct of the hate our entire midfield receives, which is by far the worst midfield in the competition.

Keays is our best (or second best) midfielder and the only real issue with that is at any other club he would be a 4th or 5th best midfielder in the second rotation. Nothing wrong with that, you need those sorts of players, but you can't have them as your best mid and expect to go very far

There's nothing wrong with Ben Keays. The hate he receives on here is a byproduct of the hate our entire midfield receives, which is by far the worst midfield in the competition.

Keays is our best (or second best) midfielder and the only real issue with that is at any other club he would be a 4th or 5th best midfielder in the second rotation. Nothing wrong with that, you need those sorts of players, but you can't have them as your best mid and expect to go very far

Yeah I try to set bias aside, I don't rate him as highly as his biggest fans (AA jumper is very farfetched and a product of 'box score watching') but even then, still think he'd be a very, very good third cog in any midfield.

I just see a lot of similarities to the role Rockliff played for us in a very similar stage to what the Crows are going through, and he was celebrated by us, not hated on like he is here. Feel it is unwarranted is all

wow you seem angry.

To be picked up as a delisted player and achieve what he has is an absolute credit to him, and his efforts can not be faulted, however he has some glaring deficiencies that are overlooked due to his rag to riches story and his bust a gut attitude. At the moment he is important to AFC as we have no one ready to replace him and yes he is working super hard - my comment regarding the 3 musketeers is that none of them can clear a contest and deliver the ball by foot efficiently, particularly over distance. Also as well as BK reads the ball he doesn't always "read the play" - he is 100% effort and will regularly put team-mates under the pump, get in their way or have them second guess what he is going to do whilst he runs a semi circle.

As stated he is currently very important but if in a few years we are playing finals I doubt he will be attending 90% of CBAs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I try to set bias aside, I don't rate him as highly as his biggest fans (AA jumper is very farfetched and a product of 'box score watching') but even then, still think he'd be a very, very good third cog in any midfield.

I just see a lot of similarities to the role Rockliff played for us in a very similar stage to what the Crows are going through, and he was celebrated by us, not hated on like he is here. Feel it is unwarranted is all

Hate is too strong - we are a frustrated supporter group who can see his deficiencies he is not "hated" well not by me.

Would I love to see him replaced by a class midfielder who can break free of the centre square and deliver a bullet pass to a leading forward? Hell yes but for now he is what we have.

wow you seem angry.

To be picked up as a delisted player and achieve what he has is an absolute credit to him, and his efforts can not be faulted, however he has some glaring deficiencies that are overlooked due to his rag to riches story and his bust a gut attitude. At the moment he is important to AFC as we have no one ready to replace him and yes he is working super hard - my comment regarding the 3 musketeers is that none of them can clear a contest and deliver the ball by foot efficiently, particularly over distance. Also as well as BK reads the ball he doesn't always "read the play" - he is 100% effort and will regularly put team-mates under the pump, get in their way or have them second guess what he is going to do whilst he runs a semi circle.

As stated he is currently very important but if in a few years we are playing finals I doubt he will be attending 90% of CBAs.

I still think there is time for that to correct. Guy has been a full time mid for a little over 2 years.

Like I said, not here to say he’s a superstar, I get there are deficiencies but also think this is far from his finished product as a player. He wasn’t a scrapheap guy from day one like some others, he was a highly rated junior who would’ve been a first round pick if not for the bidding system (went just outside the first round anyway) and a dual AA.

Some of y’all should have some more hope.

Yup and I know they have the Academy etc, but lets be honest - they are still kids and they throw them in and still look sharp.

They surround them with experience. Alsmot double the average games as us.

wow you seem angry.

I disagree, you need to put the fact he was delisted by Brisbane who have a stacked midfield out of your thinking....I'll refer you to the fact that one of the most astute and highly acclaimed Head Recruiters/List Managers in the history of the AFL the Swans Kinnear Beatson bid on the then Brisbane Academy's Ben Keays in his draft year....he doesn't get many wrong and he certainly didn't with Ben.

I disagree, you need to put the fact he was delisted by Brisbane who have a stacked midfield out of your thinking....I'll refer you to the fact that one of the most astute and highly acclaimed Head Recruiters/List Managers in the history of the AFL the Swans Kinnear Beatson bid on the then Brisbane Academy's Ben Keays in his draft year....he doesn't get many wrong and he certainly didn't with Ben.
Fair enough but you must admit he has some deficiencies and he is much more "workman" like rather than class. As a matter of interest, and I respect your opinion on talent, which of the top eight teams from 2021 would he make the first pick midfield?

And as I wrote I fully respect what he has done so far but as if we are to challenge he must be one of the many we replace in his current position to be successful.

Fair enough but you must admit he has some deficiencies and he is much more "workman" like rather than class. As a matter of interest, and I respect your opinion on talent, which of the top eight teams from 2021 would he make the first pick midfield?

And as I wrote I fully respect what he has done so far but as if we are to challenge he must be one of the many we replace in his current position to be successful.

Still think you are being unfair purely on the fact he is more "workmanlike".....what's wrong with that? Plenty of great blue collar midfielders in this game. The reigning Brownlow medallist could almost be painted in that ilk.

The article seems pretty shallow to me, not much insight at all.

A few quotes:

To the Crows engine room of Ben Keays, Matt Crouch and Rory Sloane – hats off gentlemen.

Truth be told, it should be Matthew Nicks in the gun, as he also chose to play defender Lachlan Gollant up forward instead of giving Tilthorpe a reprieve… To his credit, Gollant did what he could, kicking a goal from 11 touches and clunking four marks.

Very handy game from Harry Schoenberg around half-forward and midfield, I was impressed with the way he attacked the ground ball with speed and was clean at the heels.

Back