Toast Farewell Joel Selwood, champion of the game and legend of the Geelong Football Club

Remove this Banner Ad

Future hall of famer and legend of the game. One of the all time great leaders. Congratulations on an incredible career at the highest level. Seems like a great bloke off-field as well. Deserves to retire as a premiership captain!

As a hawks supporter this will forever sting!!! What hurts more is Xavier Ellis, begged the club to draft Selwood..the rest is history

2005 AFL draft:

Pick 6- Mitch Thorp
Pick 7- Joel Selwood
You could drop him in the hof tomorrow tbh

Can we just make a bigger deal about how he's played a total of 1 dead rubber in his AFL career? One!

Round 23, 2015 was the only meaningless game he ever played where, no matter what, the Cats couldn't win the flag. And he went and got 34 touches, 8 tackles and a goal against a finals-bound Adelaide team.

Going to say, that'll never be done again by a 300 game player.

Never thought of it that way. Great perspective.

Yeah, the draft is very speculative. It's very easy to get picks wrong. And I agree in that junior football definitely doesn't transfer to senior footy. I should've said that the top 10 picks are picked to be stars of the afl, not to be role players. If they turn into a role player because they weren't the star that they hoped for then it is what it is.
Few players are stars though. The term is overused. Vastly.
Corey Enright was pick 47. He wasn;t picked to be a star, but he was fantastic and won 2 B&Fs in premier years. Ultra-consistent.

It's all based on percentages. If any player can play 100 games, they're statistically a success
To expect any top 10 to automatically be a 'star' is foolish as it doesn't just happen. Too man variables
To have a player who can hold a spot over 150+ games is success
I'd rather that than Richard Tambling

If the new grandstand at Kardinia Park isn't named after the bloke, I'll be very disappointed.

His resume rivals just about any other. 7th all-time Brownlow votes - second most to never win one, six-time All Australian - three times as captain, fourth most ever AFL wins, most finals played in, most games as captain, most games for Geelong etc, etc. Not to mention the four premierships, three best and fairests and 4x Most Courageous Player award.

Legacy is untouchable now that premiership captain has been added. Near instant hall of fame, and expedited legend status. First premiership was in my first year of high school, so thanks Joel, for making my footy-watching life something pretty bloody special.

Can we just make a bigger deal about how he's played a total of 1 dead rubber in his AFL career? One!

Round 23, 2015 was the only meaningless game he ever played where, no matter what, the Cats couldn't win the flag. And he went and got 34 touches, 8 tackles and a goal against a finals-bound Adelaide team.

Hard to imagine a more competitive player

I'm relieved he's gone, burnt us many times including as recently as the QF!

12 disposals in the 1st qtr of a GF is a stylish way to go out

And that game was the Dangerfield cup

I understand supporting your players, but calling people idiots for not applauding the exploitation of rules created to keep players safe is idiotic in itself.
That’s BS!! You think Selwood never got caught holding the ball? The difference between good tackling technique and average technique.

Either way, to play 300 games at such a high standard and lead your team to a premiership isn’t achievable without being a great player of the game.

And to think at 34 years of age he was able to perform strongly in the HF. The game that mattered most.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That’s BS!! You think Selwood never got caught holding the ball? The difference between good tackling technique and average technique.

Either way, to play 300 games at such a high standard and lead your team to a premiership isn’t achievable without being a great player of the game.

And to think at 34 years of age he was able to perform strongly in the HF. The game that mattered most.
Wonder what your repose would have been if Ginnivan didn't copy him?

Yeah I might have been harsh on Reid. Games played is irrelevant though. Even Jack Watts played 174 games of nothingness.
I wouldn’t say watts is an epic fail though as a top 10 pics had some decent performances, just wasn’t what you hoped for.

Perfect farewell for a legend of both club and sport.

seelwood.webp

Anyone who actually lives and breathes football should be capable of telling the difference between a player who plays for free kicks, and a player who tries to break tackles and forces an opponent to give them away

Whats the difference sorry?

If you're lifting your arm when getting tackled, with the intent to force your opponent's legal tackle to become a high tackle (and a free kick), then that's literally playing for free kicks.

It's worse than throwing your head back when you get a high, because that's just exaggerating something that is already a free kick. It's on the same level as diving forward when you get any contact from behind, to milk ITB free kicks.

Dont get me wrong; Selwood was an absolute gun player, and rules are rules, but he got away with it for too long. If you deliberately play for a free kick, you shouldn't get one.

Anyways, congrats on a fantastic career. You'd take half of what he achieved and be happy.

I guess you could always try the Melbourne way and tank for picks? Probably a much worse thing to ever happen to football tbh.
I hated Melbourne tanking, and you will find very few Melbourne supporters that defend it. Not sure why it is relevant, but to equate Melbourne Tanking and Selwood ducking as blights on the game I guess we are in agreement. Great to see a Geelong supporter acknowledge how bad he has been, nice work.

If you were only trying to break tackles, you wouldn't drop your knees making it easier to go to ground.

Anyway staging for frees is a minor issue, the bigger mark on his career is his dirty tactics on field, especially the multiple occurrences of eye gouging.
It is shameful that media have not called him out on it the past.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back