List Mgmt. Christmas comes early (Nov 28 - 19 sleeps) - Draftee discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
But it is still the best contested mids there are available. If it had to be traded I’d be wanting 3 picks if two were in the 8-12 region.

The draft calculator says it’s a fair way off but I don’t think that calculator quite grasps the fact that with the super early picks you’re getting an unimpeded run at literally everyone bar 1 player (Ashcroft not included) and the majority of the time the top 3 is unanimous in terms of who’s in it (not necessarily the order).

Of the 17 clubs there has to be at least one creaming themselves at the thought of Wardlaw or Tsatas and are willing to pay that sort of premium, and if there isn’t then we keep it and run with one of the best 2 mids available to us

Really which kid is worth 3 1sts?

To get 5 and 7 off Gold Coast will cost 2 and a future 2nd or Ports future 2nd if we had it.

7 and 11 off Dogs would cost us 2 plus something as well.

Last edited:
But it is still the best contested mids there are available. If it had to be traded I’d be wanting 3 picks if two were in the 8-12 region.

The draft calculator says it’s a fair way off but I don’t think that calculator quite grasps the fact that with the super early picks you’re getting an unimpeded run at literally everyone bar 1 player (Ashcroft not included) and the majority of the time the top 3 is unanimous in terms of who’s in it (not necessarily the order).

Of the 17 clubs there has to be at least one creaming themselves at the thought of Wardlaw or Tsatas and are willing to pay that sort of premium, and if there isn’t then we keep it and run with one of the best 2 mids available to us
Who are the contested mids that you think will be there at pick 2?
- Tsatas - he is not a contested mid, he is the outside line breaker with so-so disposal and decision making.
- Sheezel - he is the silky half forward who has great skills and excellent decision making. Does not rack up the numbers and is best when used in finishing. Also has a major go home question mark over him so GWS, Suns and Eagles should be "buyer beware"
- Wardlaw - how crook are his hammies as you need to get on to the park to a contested mid.

You must have been to the Bell Feathercap School of Trading if you think you will get 2 x 8-12 range plus something else substantial. Most years I would say yes. Not this year.

The reason why there are posters, who I think are astute draft watchers, that are comfortable sliding back is that neither Wardle or Tsatas have clubs creaming themselves. While I like them, I am not that fussed whether I get a new Land Cruiser 300 (Cadman KPF) or a Lexus LC Convertible (Sheeezel) or Audi e-tron S Sportback (Tsatas) or Mercedes GLE 450 (Wardlaw but without a German warranty). They are not a Ferrari. All great cars but they are not what we sometimes see as the wow of pick 1 or 2.

Let me give you a scenario and you can tell me what you would do.

1. At pick 2 you take Wardlaw or Sheezel

or

2. At pick 8 you take MacKenzie or Phillipou plus at pick 12 you take Hollands or Hotton

I am not seeing a Smith/Anderson/Rowell/Walsh/Oliver/Callaghan level of midfielder in the top 2

Anyway, I think you missed my analogy. I do not see a Ferrari new car dealer on Scarborough Beach Road.

Barbagallo do sell second hand Ferrari vehicles, however that is the trade or FA window not the draft window.

Minutes before making this post you hit the crystal pistol didn't you? Surely. It's the only explanation I can come up with.

Hewett, like Kelly and not Yeo? Kelly is one paced vanilla, cruising around in 2nd gear everywhere, he's also far from hard at the footy. Hewett is a bash and crash player that is absolutely like Yeo more than any of our other players. He enjoys taking tacklers on and bursting from stoppages with his explosiveness.

Not as agile or athletic as Yeo, who's got cat like lateral movement and a decent leap on him, but he's Hewett isn't far off it.

Far as his frame goes he's 186cm and 82kgs. Yeo was 189cm and 88kg at the same time.

Lol, Hewett being a “bash and crash” player couldn’t be further from the truth, he’s a balanced midfielder who is definitely better receiving the footy than winning it, hence the TK comparison

I’m not sure who you guys think Hewett is but respectfully I don’t think any of you have watched very much of his game if you’re likening him to Yeo.

Question without watching any draftees, but Is Hewett being harshly judged cause he played seniors all season?

Maybe a touch, however his Championships were in the main underwhelming, he had a few patches in a couple of games, but he wasn't the impact player that most ( myself included ) were expecting from him.
He certainly never captured the form and had the impact that he had shown in the Colts 2021 season in general and the Finals in particular.
He was the difference between Swan Districts winning the close encounter with Claremont, had he not played in the GF ...... then Claremont win the flag.

He did have Covid and was affected by it, so with out being closer to the medical intel, it's hard to know just how he may have been impacted and the severity of it on his general fitness.

He is just another player that has questions associated with health issues, that have seen their draft stocks, either slide or be questioned.

Weird year is this draft cohort.

Last edited:
Question without watching any draftees, but Is Hewett being harshly judged cause he played seniors all season?
I've seen him for the Black Ducks' league team and in the U18 carnival - the disappointment this year has been his fading in and out of games. His best is still as good as 2021 but I am not seeing enough of it. In the colts GF last year he was brilliant. Showed so much game awareness. He has not shown this to the same extent this year.

I think he will be good. I am just not as eager as I was 12 months ago but still keeping an open mind. Is it a maturity thing? Has he been caught up by others? Did he peak too early? Is it that he knows he will be drafted so relax and do other things this year? Or have WCE told him we will take him at 20?

He has also spent time on the HBF and the HFF. I see him as a tough balanced midfielder with a great turn of pace but he gets very little midfield time at SD. He did average a goal a game in the second half of the year so he is doing OK

I believe so and I’d put my self in the list of people who probably have judged him a little too harshly.

The concerning thing with Hewett for me though is even at the Champs bar that one amazing game, he wasn’t very good, he fades in and out of games A LOT and often you don’t even notice him

It would not surprise me at all if Hewett proves to be the best player in the draft. His best is excellent, as the vision of his game against Vic Metro demonstrates. Yes, he was a bit inconsistent in the u/18 champs but there were genuine excuses. He appears to be pretty cocky, which is ok as long as it doesn’t breed complacency and laziness.

Given the question marks over all of the other high picks, I’d lean to splitting pick 2 and getting Hewett and one of the other guys in the 5-15 bracket. The only qualification to that would be if they can confirm Wardlaw doesn’t have a significant hamstring risk - and I seriously doubt they’d be able to do so.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Went to bassendean for the Beagles game and wasn't impressed by Hewitt's intensity to get to a contest in that game which is a bit of a worry all class with ball in hand though

EAGLES OPEN TO SPLITTING PICK
West Coast is open to splitting its prized No.2 draft pick for a double hit in the early stages of the draft.

The Eagles' selection is the earliest it has held since picking Nic Naitanui at No.2 in 2008 and the club will listen to offers for the choice if clubs are keen to move up the board.

The club has been interested in Luke Jackson but was not keen to put its No.2 up for grabs for him, but regardless of Jackson would still look at options in trading the second overall selection for more top-end picks.

Good question. At best is top 5 but at worst top 30 so where do we rank him. I see Phillipou a little similarly but slightly higher up draft boards. I think being a WA boy he is more likely to go late teens maybe even slide to 20. Gotta remember for most clubs he is not local and his draft range is quite even, so I would be willing to bet on him sliding just like Oscar Allen did. I see Hewett as a slider.

Let me give you a scenario and you can tell me what you would do.

1. At pick 2 you take Wardlaw or Sheezel

or

2. At pick 8 you take MacKenzie or Phillipou plus at pick 12 you take Hollands or Hotton
I'm an option 2 sort of a guy.
If there was a Hodge/Judd option then, NO WAY, but it really doesn't appear to be that way this year.
With an even cohort, I'd rather have 2 picks. The Poo and Hewett or one of the other similarly rated ones for me.

Went to bassendean for the Beagles game and wasn't impressed by Hewitt's intensity to get to a contest in that game which is a bit of a worry all class with ball in hand though

You just described someone playing two months out from being drafted who doesnt want to get injured.

He also was recovering from covid this season and that set him back. My 18 year old plays soccer in the off season to stay fit for AFL, he's a whippet, close to zero body fat (got his mothers genes luckily) and a good runner. He stuggled for weeks after catching it a 2nd time. Just breathing isnt as it was. Slowly coming back to normal.

Last edited:
I'm an option 2 sort of a guy.
If there was a Hodge/Judd option then, NO WAY, but it really doesn't appear to be that way this year.
With an even cohort, I'd rather have 2 picks. The Poo and Hewett or one of the other similarly rated ones for me.

If we can land Phillapou, Hewett plus trade in Robertson playing alongside Culley.

I feel we may just have addressed that inside midfield hole within 12 months.

Don’t think this is the draft for us for talls.

Wouldn’t be against trading down for a couple of picks.

You all know Pieman is taking Cadman at pick 2 so just stop 🛑

Tbh I’m not sure why anyone would be too angry at that, starting a rebuild by making sure your spine is good isn’t the worst idea and it’s not like we won’t be able to get a good midfielder at 20 or like we won’t be able to use our 2nds to get up a few spots for Hewett, Ginbey, Hollands or Hotton etc.

Next years draft cohort is great for midfielders too.

Also just to clarify Cadman wouldn’t be my choice, I just wouldn’t mind if he was the clubs choice, I’d understand their train of thought.

IN 2023​

1. Harley Reid (Vic Country)​

What can’t he do? The 185cm boy from Tongala has played through the midfield, in defence and in the forward line this year and has impacted in every position. He looks up to AFL midfielder-forwards Paddy Dangerfield, Nat Fyfe and Christian Petracca and is a similarly good overhead mark as well as possessing explosive speed and silky skills. Recruiters say he would be ready to be drafted this year if he were eligible.

2. Ashton Moir (South Australia)​

A 186cm half-forward, Moir excites both in the air and at ground level. The Glenelg product is described by recruiters as “a star” who is in the mix to be the No. 1 draft pick next year. Moir kicked 30 goals from 10 SANFL under-18 games this year and starred with shot up draft boards when he booted four goals for South Australia as a bottom-age player in the under-18 national championships against Western Australia in July.

3. Nick Watson (Vic Metro)​

The Eastern Ranges product is being nicknamed ‘Wizard Watson’, given his incredible abilities around goal. The small forward averaged 2.6 goals from 11.9 disposals across seven NAB League games this season, while also playing three under-18 games for Vic Metro as a bottom-age player and kicking five goals. He only stands 169cm but Watson is quick, agile and can take a mark.

4. Colby McKercher (Allies)​

A midfielder from Tasmania with a nice left-foot kick, recruiters describe McKercher as a quicker version of Essendon’s Zach Merrett. While some of his games later in the year were not as good as what he produced earlier in the season, McKercher is still viewed as a top prospect for next year and was among the best players for Team Houli in the Under 17 Futures game on AFL Grand Final Day with 20 disposals and four clearances.

5. Jed Walter (Allies)​

A 195cm key forward, Walter has shown plenty in his bottom-age year. A member of the Gold Coast Suns Academy, he is an athletic big man who works hard and has a physical presence in the air. Walter managed just eight disposals and four marks in the Under 17 Futures game, but had averaged 9.3 disposals and 2.3 goals across four under 18 national championships games for the Allies.

Zane Duursma has a serious highlights reel. Picture: Getty Images

Zane Duursma has a serious highlights reel. Picture: Getty Images

6. Zane Duursma (Vic Country)​

The brother of Port Adelaide’s Xavier Duursmais a very exciting mobile forward or midfielder who is a good size at 188cm. The Gippsland Power product averaged 15.5 disposals and 2.2 goals across 14 NAB League matches as a bottom-age player this year, while also playing two game of the under 18 national championships for Vic Country. He has “pure ability” and his highlights reel is already quite special.

7. Archer Reid (Vic Country)​

A versatile tall with a great overhead mark, Reid shapes as one of the top key position players in next year’s draft. Standing 201cm, he is the brother of Essendon defender Zach Reid but is much better suited as a forward at the other end. He reads the play well and is good for a big man below his knees.

8. Nate Caddy (Vic Metro)​

The nephew of two-time Richmond premiership player Josh Caddy, the 190cm forward looks a handy player of the future. He has strong hands overhead, is athletic and presents well. He averaged 14.5 disposals, 4.5 marks and 1.4 goals across 13 NAB League games for the Northern Knights this year. Good running ability and footy smarts have also seen Caddy used as a tall midfielder at stages this year.

9. Mitchell Edwards (Western Australia)​

A 205cm giant, the Peel Thunder product is part of Fremantle’s Next Generation Academy and shapes as one of Western Australia’s top draft prospects for next year. The athletic ruckman featured in all four games of the under 18 national championships for his state this year, averaging 11 disposals, 1.8 marks and 18.5 hit-outs. He also impressed throughout the year in the WAFL Colts.

10. Daniel Curtin (Western Australia)​

A 195cm key position player, Curtin won the medal as the best player on the ground in the Under 17 Futures game on AFL Grand Final day. He played across halfback in that match and showed off his agility and sound decision making, but recruiters have also liked what he has shown as a forward this year with Claremont in the WAFL Colts.

Attachments​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back