List Mgmt. Christmas comes early (Nov 28 - 19 sleeps) - Draftee discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, set up both Sandringham's goals with unselfish play in this quarter as well.
Also of note Mackenzie is very very fast, can break tackles and is a good field kick. Really is deserving of a sub-10 pick and if we split our pick I'd love for us to select him.
Yes to me (who admittedly hasn't watched any vision) he sounds every bit a top 5 prospect. Given the assorted question marks for us over the very top end, I'd be most pleased for us to trade down a few places, grab McKenzie and net ourselves a 16-20 pick.

Just to clarify a little more on that…. Malthouse clearly knows nothing about this years draft so I ignored everything he had to say.
Duffield said that the Eagles definitely needed to find quality young mids but felt that Cadman stood out as the best key forward in this years draft, seen as a good leader, possible Darling replacement.
West coast could target mids with later picks and following drafts.
I don't know why they persist with Malthouse. He's very out of touch with today's game. Either doesn't watch an awful lot of footy anymore, or doesn't pay close attention. His observations aren't insightful, seem a long way short of the understanding of the modern game you'd expect from a relatively recent coach, and he can get fixated on one thing.
And for a bloke who is paid to be on a WA radio station every week of the season, he knows astonishingly little about the WA teams, particularly the Dockers. Just today he appeared to completely lack an understanding of Griffin Logue's role and position in the pecking order at the Dockers, and when Duff made mention of Erasmus and Johnson as up-and-coming midfielders, Malthouse asked what year they were in (i.e. first season, second season). It really irritates me listening to him.

WA draft picks I want as follows:

Reubin Ginbey has so much scope to improve has not been playing as a mid for long
and back end of colts season after championship just got better and better, loved he started showing great
marking overhead at end of season as this was a weakness for him before
He is great a getting the hardball first possession but what improved as season went on was when he got that second possession
and started to use his pace he is breathtakingly good when he does that to breakaway from the contest.
He is seriously fast i think he would beat Petch for pace and is only just starting to learn how to use it as a inside mid
He is also a left footer

Mid season i considered him a half back that could play midfield.
Now have changed my mind he is a hard as inside mid with blistering pace he keeps improving growing his game
I think he can end up being one of the very best players of this draft
I wouldn't be unhappy to use pick 2 on him
If drops to our second round pick would be the bargain of the year

Sam Gilbey - broke his leg so should be able to pick him up in third round now, wonderful kick and another with
amazing pace.

Kaleb Smith - east freo boy and my favourite player apart from Ginbey this colts season
His streaming run of half back he is super quick and powerful very good one on one has good positioning and power in legs to hold position
rarely loses one on one then runs of opposition

Rookies

Tyrell Dewar
Jordyn Baker

Both NGA boys and terrific rookie types

No rucks this draft next year will be the best draft for Ruckman in ten years
I'd also throw a pick at Ed Allan. Seems to be a footballer rather than an athlete. Just has that something that makes me think there's more to him.

I'd also throw a pick at Ed Allan. Seems to be a footballer rather than an athlete. Just has that something that makes me think there's more to him.
Andrew McDougall ;)
Your point I guess is that we need a player whisperer to see the potential. Some kids are just a flash in the pan.
Then in his first year Daicos nearly won a prelim running through the middle - we need one of them for #2. But they may not be there?

I don't know why they persist with Malthouse. He's very out of touch with today's game. Either doesn't watch an awful lot of footy anymore, or doesn't pay close attention. His observations aren't insightful, seem a long way short of the understanding of the modern game you'd expect from a relatively recent coach, and he can get fixated on one thing.
And for a bloke who is paid to be on a WA radio station every week of the season, he knows astonishingly little about the WA teams, particularly the Dockers. Just today he appeared to completely lack an understanding of Griffin Logue's role and position in the pecking order at the Dockers, and when Duff made mention of Erasmus and Johnson as up-and-coming midfielders, Malthouse asked what year they were in (i.e. first season, second season). It really irritates me listening to him.
I hear Wayne Carey is available, could come on board as Mick's replacement.

Would it be worthwhile trading our 2023 1st Rd pick for 2 1st rounders in order his draft?
Give us 3 in the 1st round, 3 in the 2nd.
Instant midfield.

Would it be worthwhile trading our 2023 1st Rd pick for 2 1st rounders in order his draft?
Instant midfield.
I know people say this every year, but 2023 apparently has more quality at the top end. Given we will likely have a top 5 pick again next year, we may be missing out on a generational talent.

Apart from Ashcroft, and maybe an uninjured Warlord, I don’t see any Daicos level talents this year.

Would definitely hold onto next years first if we can.

Is Cadman a toys out of the cot selection or would it be dependant on who we bring in with our other picks?
No, but if we’re set on him then surely we’re splitting pick 2.

Seems he’s ranked in the 5-10 draft range. Need to leverage interest in Wardlaw, Tsatas and Sheezle.

Could lead to us landing a Hewett or Mackenzie type mid (which I also believe is our most pressing list need) if we do the split right.

Instant midfield.
I'm uncomfortable with this because we are coming off our worst season ever. We have lost a generational full forward, a very good x-factor player and many of our key players are a year older. If we are unlucky with injuries again we could very easily finish last and have access to pick one. This 2022 draft has been flagged as being light on for foot skills as well, so I favour a more patient approach and get what we can in terms of good picks in this draft and hold station with our future picks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WA draft picks I want as follows:

Reubin Ginbey has so much scope to improve has not been playing as a mid for long
and back end of colts season after championship just got better and better, loved he started showing great
marking overhead at end of season as this was a weakness for him before
He is great a getting the hardball first possession but what improved as season went on was when he got that second possession
and started to use his pace he is breathtakingly good when he does that to breakaway from the contest.
He is seriously fast i think he would beat Petch for pace and is only just starting to learn how to use it as a inside mid
He is also a left footer

Mid season i considered him a half back that could play midfield.
Now have changed my mind he is a hard as inside mid with blistering pace he keeps improving growing his game
I think he can end up being one of the very best players of this draft
I wouldn't be unhappy to use pick 2 on him
If drops to our second round pick would be the bargain of the year

Sam Gilbey - broke his leg so should be able to pick him up in third round now, wonderful kick and another with
amazing pace.

Kaleb Smith - east freo boy and my favourite player apart from Ginbey this colts season
His streaming run of half back he is super quick and powerful very good one on one has good positioning and power in legs to hold position
rarely loses one on one then runs of opposition

Rookies

Tyrell Dewar
Jordyn Baker

Both NGA boys and terrific rookie types

No rucks this draft next year will be the best draft for Ruckman in ten years
I didn't realise Ginbey was that fast. Do you have any draft camp/testing results mate?
If thats the case, I already want him more than Tsatas.

It's the Suns...Come on mate. One can dream!.

It'd probably take 2,20 and F2 though to even get them to twitch?

Could always roll the dice and we swap 2023 1st rounders.

But they may be a bit gun shy after the last time.

They will finish higher than us next year though.

If we get Ports future 2nd then our 2022 pick 2 plus two future 2nds for 5 and 7 may get it done.

5, 7, 20, 26 and 38 is a ripper draft hand for 2022.

No, but if we’re set on him then surely we’re splitting pick 2.

Seems he’s ranked in the 5-10 draft range. Need to leverage interest in Wardlaw, Tsatas and Sheezle.

Could lead to us landing a Hewett or Mackenzie type mid (which I also believe is our most pressing list need) if we do the split right.
Don’t reckon Cadman gets to five. Might even go pick one to Nth.
Reckon GWS will grab him at 3 if he’s still there.

5 and 7 would be an excellent result but how you get that is tough.

Assuming crows do give up 5.

Pick 5&7 to eagles for?

1) 2 & Future 2nd
2) 2 & 20
3) 2 & (swap 1st rounders next year) could be giving up pick one next year 😬
4) Pick 2 & 20 and future 3rd
5) pick 2 & Andrew Gaff 😂 (looking forward to 20 pages of melts)

Pick 2, our future 2nd, Ports future 2nd we get for Rioli.

Pretty close.

Suns trade their 2022 surplus 2nds and 3rds to land Lions 15.

Pick 2 Sheezle / Wardlaw / Busslinger / Cadman

Pick 15 Hollands

He takes a while to get to the point too.

Wanders around in circles before answering question or making relevant comment.

His gems are hard to find.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Pick 2, our future 2nd, Ports future 2nd we get for Rioli.

Pretty close.

Suns trade their 2022 surplus 2nds and 3rds to land Lions 15.

Pick 2 Sheezle / Wardlaw / Busslinger

Pick 15 Hollands
Might be better off taking those future 2nd picks through to next year.
I guess that’s a question for the recruiting guys as to how strong next years draft is actually looking.
Maybe 4 good picks is enough for this year.

I’m very reluctant to spend a top 5 pick on a key forward. Is he going to be a top 10 forward? That’s the equivalent of a top 25 midfielder, which is lot more achievable for a mid picked in the top five.

Feels like top key forwards are much more just based on luck.

Very basic maths based on two key forwards per team, against five starting mids.

Pretty much sums up 99% of Vic media types.

NFI about anything outside of Victoria.

Might be better off taking those future 2nd picks through to next year.
I guess that’s a question for the recruiting guys as to how strong next years draft is actually looking.
Maybe 4 good picks is enough for this year.

Maybe.

However it would need to be an absolute super dooper draft next year for picks 20 and 28 to be better than pick 7 this year.

Could always roll the dice and we swap 2023 1st rounders.

But they may be a bit gun shy after the last time.

They will finish higher than us next year though.

If we get Ports future 2nd then our 2022 pick 2 plus two future 2nds for 5 and 7 may get it done.

5, 7, 20, 26 and 38 is a ripper draft hand for 2022.
That's a really tricky one. In effect is 2+F20+F28ish for 5+7.
Really not sure how I feel. Torn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back