Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Lloyd Meek

Remove this Banner Ad

Jaeger will go well at Freo. He has a great work ethic, is a good decision-maker and has a nice skill tool-kit. He will be popular at the club and with the supporters. He will be missed at Hawthorn. I hope you can get him a premiership medal.
I love Jaeger and was so excited when we got him but unfortunately that ruptured patella tendon will never allow him to become the player he could’ve which was top 5-10 of all time. I kind of compare his career to what happened to Grant Hill in the NBA. He was well on his way at to becoming the new face of the league (post MJ) until injuries struck. Like JOM, Hill was able to come back but was only ever about 70% of the player he could’ve been. It’s sad because we’ll n ver know how good he could’ve become.

Apologies I know this is the Lloyd Meek-Evoy thread.

I’m wary that it is a highlights package but upside a lot better than I expected given his draft number and lack of game time. And a different beast to Ned which I see as a real positive given the diversity of rucks in the league these days. Along with Max in the 23-24yo bracket, plus Ramsden it’s a promising crop of tall stocks to have for the next 7yrs.

Omeara doesn’t do the time trial. There is an alternative test he does with 1/3-1/2 of the list and he usually wins it.
Thanks for the information. Much appreciated. Watching the last Hawks versus Fremantle game last season O'Meara caused us a heap of problems. O'Meara and Newcombe where the two running out of clearance situations that we struggled to contain while they were matched up on our two worst midfield runners in Mundy and Will Brodie for extended periods particularly in the second half. So either way he'll improve our defensive running compared to having Mundy in the centre square. Jaeger's tackling has always been first rate too.

If you go and watch any of the Hawks training this preseason you'll love what you see in Meek and how he goes about training. I went to one of his earliest sessions where he was right near the back. He has improved so much in his running he was finishing between 6th to 10th while running against the 1st-4th year players. (most of our list) in distance running last preseason.

Meek's definitely my favourite ex Docker currently on an afl list. I'm a teacher and he did a football clinic at a school I taught at. He's terrific with school kids too.

Is it bad is it? Haven’t paid attention. That could be an issue.
Yep as it's my teams home ground I'll agree with how hard the ground is and that hardness impacts ruckman the most as they have to jump high and land on a very unforgiving surface. Ni Nat's knees and jumping ability has certainly been effected in my opinion by the hardness of the ground over the years.

dumb and dumber thread GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

O'Meara deal was actually quite solid. Get Meek, who's a quality Ruckman ready to blossom. Also got a future 2nd rounder in a stronger draft (gave back a rubbish pick future 4th).
Yeh this is a very solid deal, getting a ruckman who’s just entering his prime and a future 2nd rounder for JOM is good business.

Makes up somewhat for the pretty meh kind of deal we got for Tom Mitchell.

Yeh this is a very solid deal, getting a ruckman who’s just entering his prime and a future 2nd rounder for JOM is good business.

We were hoping for Pick 27 off Collingwood we got 41+50 and Cooper which will end up something around 37 and 43

I actually thought this was the worse of the two deals. We were trying to get 15, 18 or 19 from GWS but ended up with what could be a much later pick next year. albeit in a supposedly better draft. It would also have depended on what we would have had to give up to pry out Meek.

O'Meara deal was actually quite solid. Get Meek, who's a quality Ruckman ready to blossom. Also got a future 2nd rounder in a stronger draft (gave back a rubbish pick future 4th).
The future 4th is more than handy. There's lots of players in next years draft that will require a bid as either academy or father son selections so pick will be significantly higher when used or can be paired with the two third rounders and other 4th rounder we traded in for a much higher pick in trade to a team requiring points. Early days but this trade should end up being win/win for both teams.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back