Review Preliminary Final, 2023 - Brisbane Lions vs. Carlton

Who were your five best players against Carlton?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I've found my favourite stat from yesterday: Dizzy had the same number of score involvements as Charlie Curnow.

Charlie who?
day60V8cCJpldAxXBEUcfpeCjJjwaoOUA6pxkaBP.png

Wow, my sons were babies during our great years, they are 22 & 23 years old now, but sadly have no interest in AFL they have teased me most of their lives about my infatuation with the hopeless Lions.

Just awesome to make the big dance, and will no doubt be proud of our team no matter the outcome as am sure they will give their all.

But relish it people I certainly hope it's not another 20 years until our next GF, but with an 18 team competition (soon to expand) these days don't come too often in anybody's lifetime.

Go you mighty Lions!
Disinherit both of them:)

The one footy conundrum to come out of the game was to watch an ungainly player like McInerny go back and slot 2 clutch goals and a professional forward like Charlie never look like putting any set shots through , didn't seem happy in taking them.

Next week only kick it to Charlie when he's on the run . When he has time to think about it he looks stressed.
Very unusual from Charlie - he has such a good finals goal kicking record that just evaporated last night.

I know Curnow is seen as the messiah to the Carlton faithful and fair enough he’s a good player, but 25 of his 80 regular season goals came against WCE & North. One has to remember a washed Gunston kicked 6 against one of these mobs.

As I said he is a good player, but as this finals series has shown, he can certainly be beaten.

Not gonna lie, I was close to tears watching the onslaught in the first quarter, but the way they settled and came back has me quietly confident for Saturday. This year just feels different. I think our kicking efficiency was down around the 25-30% mark in the first but it's credit to Harris and co. for stemming the flow and thwarting more Carlton goals. They were immense.

Kiddy was the obvious standout but I thought Linc had an incredible game. When he picked off Martin's handball close to half time, gathered in front of Saad and weaved his way through the midfield to lace it out to Joe... my god.
ezgif-5-357a102782.gif

All that good work to then snatch a goal off Dizzy :tearsofjoy:

Not too worried about Lachie's shoulder, especially after he repeated slammed his hand down on the rock hard surface of the Gabba when the siren rang for 287 seconds. Nothing is stopping him.
ezgif-5-d84ad96b5b.gif

Bring on this week where it's all going to be about Collingwood/Naicos and nothing about Brisbane. Just how we like it.

Sometimes as supporters we just have to endure.

In the first qtr the Carlton supporter section beside us were standing up, shouting at us, pointing and gesturing for us to leave, they were just horrible people. I've changed my opinion, Carlton supporters are the worst, and we were up in the expensive section.

By Halftime, they had gone silent, by 3Qtr time it was like they were gone then a whimper at the end but heads down they trudged out, no "sorry for abusing you", no "well done", just a horrible bunch of people.

My special mention goes to Darcy Gardner, he was on a hiding to nothing coming in for Payne for late in the season, he was to mark up on the greatest footballer the world has ever seen in Charlie Curnow (at least in channel 7 and the AFL writers minds) but Dizzy did the job, he thrived and God's only son, had no influence at all. Kiddy Coleman, welcome lad, you're a star. I thought Rayner, Dev Robertson and Zac Bailey when hard when we needed to change the momentum, they belted in and seemed unrewarded but the game changed.

Harris was a leader, McKenna so tricky, Linc you were then we we needed you, Hippy and the big dog Jo were outstanding. The full midfield flicked the switch at Qtr time and ran all over Carlton - thanks Oscar (yes you're pretty enough) Dunks, Lachie et al.

Charlie - put your ego away, you will cost us a Grand final, just execute and we will sing Country Roads for you.

Bye bye Carlton supporters, we had the last laugh and we still have our dignity.

In the first qtr the Carlton supporter section beside us were standing up, shouting at us, pointing and gesturing for us to leave, they were just horrible people. I've changed my opinion, Carlton supporters are the worst, and we were up in the expensive section.

By Halftime, they had gone silent, by 3Qtr time it was like they were gone then a whimper at the end but heads down they trudged out, no "sorry for abusing you", no "well done", just a horrible bunch of people.
Everyone has a different experience but I found them probably the best all year, got no abuse in the first and plenty of well done at the end. A few bad ones in every crowd I guess.

Everyone has a different experience but I found them probably the best all year, got no abuse in the first and plenty of well done at the end. A few bad ones in every crowd I guess.

Yeah same. Think it is really just luck of the draw if you end up sitting near the 5% of feral fans or not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

5. Sorry, but the Brisbane based crowd were a bit underwhelming. They let the Carlton flogs drown us out particularly in the first quarter. Melbourne based Lions are definitely more passionate and will bring more voice to the GF.

We've just made a grand final, the single most unifying thing that can happen with a footy club, and you've decided to say this?

Even if it were true, and it's clearly not, it is s**t timing and a s**t attitude.

Coleman getting a lot of praise and thats well deserved. Some rebound defenders need 30+ disposals to have a real impact, with a lot of the ball really feed through them. He just had a massive impact of only 21 disposals, basically all of which came when the game was online or going against us.

Just seen the “coming of age” article on the AFL website, this article could have been made about his performance against Melbourne in the Semi-final last year. Similarly Melbourne jumped the gun, with all the Melbourne interceptors reading a lot of Rich’s predictable down the line kicks. It wasn’t until Coleman started getting his hands on the ball, changing the angles that match turned for us in a similar nature.

Yesterday just shows how important he is it us, and on the back of last years performance, others outside the club may be a bit late to the party.

Thought Zorks was immense in the second quarter and was pivotal in our fight back

Laid a great tackle but if you’re going to get almost all your possessions uncontested you can’t go at 59% disposal efficiency With 6 turnovers. His disposal was shocking compared to his usual standards.

But worked hard

Coleman getting a lot of praise and thats well deserved. Some rebound defenders need 30+ disposals to have a real impact, with a lot of the ball really feed through them. He just had a massive impact of only 21 disposals, basically all of which came when the game was online or going against us.

Just seen the “coming of age” article on the AFL website, this article could have been made about his performance against Melbourne in the Semi-final last year. Similarly Melbourne jumped the gun, with all the Melbourne interceptors reading a lot of Rich’s predictable down the line kicks. It wasn’t until Coleman started getting his hands on the ball, changing the angles that match turned for us in a similar nature.

Yesterday just shows how important he is it us, and on the back of last years performance, others outside the club may be a bit late to the party.

Had Kiddy as our second most important player heading into the season. He’s one of not many in our team that has the ability to set up goals that didn’t rely on our forwards needing to do anything particularly special to win the ball

Laid a great tackle but if you’re going to get almost all your possessions uncontested you can’t go at 59% disposal efficiency With 6 turnovers. His disposal was shocking compared to his usual standards.

But worked hard
Was talking about the second quarter specifically, not the match as a whole.

Just seemed to be getting it everywhere and got us moving forward when we really needed it. Don’t have any stats to back it up but it looked like he went at a higher DE for that period.

Was talking about the second quarter specifically, not the match as a whole.

Just seemed to be getting it everywhere and got us moving forward when we really needed it. Don’t have any stats to back it up but it looked like he went at a higher DE for that period.

11 disposals with 4 going to an opponent

We've just made a grand final, the single most unifying thing that can happen with a footy club, and you've decided to say this?

Even if it were true, and it's clearly not, it is s**t timing and a s**t attitude.
Full wingspan is actually wrong.

I was there and had mates sitting at home texting wondering why the Lions crowd wasn't cheering and they were asking what the balance of the crowd was like.

Psssst it's where the ground mics are and the TV coverage focuses. There were a section of Blues supporters near the school end scoreboard and the TV cameras in the 1st Qtr kept showing them, I don't know on the TV but at the ground the cameras kept showing Fevola with his big fat face cheering.

Full Wingspan should be there when Charlie kicks a goal and we sing Country Roads, it's deafening but rarely comes through on the TV. Full Wingspan should be there when the umpires were making bag/dubious rulings in the first term and the crowd was booing, but the AFL don't want that on TV. Full wingspan should be there every time Cripps touched the ball the booing was incredible. When Jo led up the ground, got hit on the chest and kicked or 3rd goal the stands were shaking and Full Wingspan should have heard it when the Lions hit the front.

2/3rds of the ground were Lions supporters we just didn't have the tight little bunches the Carlton traffics had all herded together making it easy for the TV cameras to get a tight shot.

The Brisbane fans are great, we are great, all Lions fans are great.

Back