Review Preliminary Final, 2023 - Brisbane Lions vs. Carlton

Who were your five best players against Carlton?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Flew up from Melbourne with my best mate and our partners. What an experience.

Takeaways:
1. Watched the game live and just watched the replay. Those first 3 Carlton goals resulted from soft and/or incorrect calls. The Vic bias was on for all to see but strangely these dubious infringements (including thr 50m penalty) were not replayed for viewers. It actually made me sad how blatant this bias was.

2. Dunkely is always father of Cripps. Yes.

3. Back 6 huge including Dizzy.

4. I wanna boof Kiddy Coleman

5. Sorry, but the Brisbane based crowd were a bit underwhelming. They let the Carlton flogs drown us out particularly in the first quarter. Melbourne based Lions are definitely more passionate and will bring more voice to the GF.

6. How good was that
Hardly heard the Carlton crowd after qtr time.

Carlton fans created an amazing atmosphere, felt like a soccer game with half the crowd maroon and half the ground blue.
I always forget to ask this..how do visiting clubs get 15k tickets ?

Carlton were brave, strong, honesthearted and played each one like the superstars they inherently were ... oh wait what do you mean they lost???? Not that the commentary annoyed me or anything...d
ok actually it did ... a lot ... except that I am kind of used to it ... so it is more of a low level toothache not a screaming nerve

Well done boys ... from the moment Eric kicked the first goal (and we know that was not an automatic expectation) I knew we were on the road back and beyond to victory (ok maybe a few nerves in the 3-6 min remaining mark)!

As usual we felt that the umpiring was biased against us (and since that is a universal feeling ducked over the Carlton autopsy thread to see their thoughts ... hmm ... nothing about the umpiring at all so seems that they were happy with it (probably a bad sign!) and I appreciated the discussion in the lead up to the game re them not being actively biased corrupt etc but I do have trouble getting my head around how the inconsistencies within the game are able to be predicted prior to the first bounce with a fair degree of accuracy...

At the begining of the season my pass mark was making the GF ... so 'mission accomplished' ... now don't make me have a goal next year of 'win a GF' ... I want my goal next year to be 'go back to back!"

The problem with the umpiring in both Preliminaries was that the whistle was just thrown away. I know some enjoy it like that but simply put that’s not how they umpire throughout the whole season so it when they call less free kicks a single one seems like a miracle bonus. Instances where something is called at one end and not the other skyrockets and it’s just frustrating to watch.

Takeaways:
1. Watched the game live and just watched the replay. Those first 3 Carlton goals resulted from soft and/or incorrect calls. The Vic bias was on for all to see but strangely these dubious infringements (including thr 50m penalty) were not replayed for viewers. It actually made me sad how blatant this bias was.

5. Sorry, but the Brisbane based crowd were a bit underwhelming. They let the Carlton flogs drown us out particularly in the first quarter. Melbourne based Lions are definitely more passionate and will bring more voice to the GF.

6. How good was that

Not sure I can agree on the fifth point. Carlton had their first prelim since 2000 and first finals series since 2013 while we’ve been blessed with our third in five years including eight home finals. They were up and excited pregame and understandable why, I remember it being extra energetic in our first qualifying final in 2019.

Plus usually it’s not a 50/50 split and not sure where you sat but in 236 Carlton didn’t make much noise in comparison after quarter time.

Takeaways:

6. How good was that
Have to disagree on point 5. The QF and PF lions crowds were impressive. Lions Vic supporters are passionate but wouldn't say Queenslanders are any less so. First quarter? They were up by 5 goals...

The problem with the umpiring in both Preliminaries was that the whistle was just thrown away. I know some enjoy it like that but simply put that’s not how they umpire throughout the whole season so it when they call less free kicks a single one seems like a miracle bonus. Instances where something is called at one end and not the other skyrockets and it’s just frustrating to watch.
Biggest problem I always have with umpiring and the AFL in general is all the inconsistencies, does my head in. The Zac Bailey non-high contact followed by the exact same action being paid, couple of deliberate out of bounds that should've been free's, even that Berry free kick for running too far never gets paid.

Lol.

That was a blatant free every day of the week. To McKay.

But overall Carlton got gifted early by the umps. The travel call on Berry was 50/50 and we dismantled after that. Who knows if we had've got the first goal how the game might have transpired.
Moments earlier, Joe was again held for the umpteenth time and nothing; not sure what the umps have against Joe but its a disgrace when McKay got a softer one moments later.

What highlights the hypocrisy and inconsistency is that Bailey has his hd ripped off and nothing and then moments later a Blue is taken high, nowhere near as bad as Bails and a free. I mean if its not cheating, then what is it, how can one team be the beneficary of two frees that are no worse than another and not get them. Then there is Starc kicking the ball away and 50 - next quarter, a Carlton player does it when Hippy had a free right in front of ump #23 and nothing. And then Jerry running too far; please, what a joke.

The VFL and umps did their best but fortunately for us, it still wasn't good enough.

I remember watching the NEAFL game the day after our last loss to collingwood early in 2019, being a bit depressed about things - but quickly being cheered up by our 18 year old overage academy player being one of the best players on the ground. Frankly I was sad that he wasn't on the list and couldn't get a game the next week as he was that good.

So so happy for Kiddy that he'll get some recognition for his brilliant performance. I don't understand why he was made the sub against the hawks but that loss straightened us up and led to the current small defender trio/quartet and I'm thankful for that.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just cried in public.
I dont blame you.

Because many Brisbane Lions fans on here stuck through this club through thick and thin in the struggling years.

Yeah I remember the time Brisbane didnt make finals from 2010-18.

It was very dire here from 2014-18 when Brisbane spent 5 years in a row in the bottom 4. I posted here a few times saying there was light at the end of the Tunnel.

Im glad Brisbane beat carlton. I do want a non vic side to win it again.

I got no animosity towards Lachie Neale.

It sucks that Daniel Rich wont be in the grand final side because he is injured. He was one of the few bright spots in that Brisbane 2010-18 era.

Its a Similiar Situtation with Nathan Jones at Melbourne who tolerated the demons not making finals in 2007-17, then couldnt be in that 2021 grand final side because he wasnt fully fit.

We were 22 up when the 60 second board went up. From our normal seats we can't often see it but last night we were sitting on the Vulture street side and could see it clear as day. That last 60 seconds on our feet with the Lions chant ringing out and knowing we were home was special. I've never enjoyed a Carlton goal more than their last, knowing it was too little and far too late.

I want to give some credit to the Blues support ers toi. We had a few Carlton supporters around us and yeah some were nuffies, but we had a few ok ones too, we were beside a couple of lads who were on their feet for every Carlton goal and got behind their team, didn't mind a bit of banter and were neither rude more obnoxious, and for every salty blues fan saying that Collingwood would do us by 10 goals, there were dozens who sat through it and let us have our moment.

No credit though to the media and VFL who still push a narrative that the Victorian clubs provide the best GF stories. There are so many great stories out of the next week if they stop to look.
  • premiership lion, looking to deny his old club
  • brisbane having broken voss's heart have to do it to McRae
  • Collingwood have never beaten Brisbane in a Grand final
  • Brisbane, three premierships no minor premierships, can they do it again
  • Collingwood unable to beat Brisbane in the regular season but that counts for nothing now
  • brisbane has uncovered two father son gems this year, one will be there next Saturday, one will miss out.

Seriously if you needed Carlton v Collingwood to fill column inches in GF week you were just being lazy.

Last edited:
Watched the game from Ireland at 8am off a few hours sleep after a wedding; only place I could get reception was a window sill in our room on the top floor with the phone pressed against the glass, which is where I sat in my jocks.

Was really impressed with how we fought back after the first quarter. Andrews kept us within touching distance in the first quarter. McKenna just before half time was vitally important, he was getting his hands on everything and generally making very good decisions. Nothing left to say about Kiddy that hasn't already been said, BOG.

Andrews was massive and freakish.
Coleman no doubt best on ground.
Oscar adjusting his game, starting grabbing the ball and getting it into space.

Umpires were terrible for big parts. How they overturned that goal I’ll never know.

Surprised at Carlton board who are pretty kind to Brissy and already hoping for us to beat Collingwood.

Kiddy's coming of age was absolutely amazing and one of the best games you'll ever see from a defender but the game of Harris early is one for the ages. He kept us in it when the heat was on. He was Atlas. He put the team on his shoulders and carried us. Immense. Captain Andrews, take a bow.

Watching it again, Linc McCarthy's smother of Jack Martin's handball and kick into Joe to put us in front was a pivotal moment, Carlton had 2 players free streaming into F50 if Martin got that handball away.

You really think the couple of thousand Lions that get to the G next week will drown out the toofless? Can I interest you in a Westgate Bridge I have for sale? If they were 'underwhelming' at home, how does that equate to 100,000 flogpies at the G?

That’s not how it works in a GF, due to how the tickets work it’ll probably be a fairly even crowd in the end. Basically everyone there that doesn’t go for Collingwood will go for us

Good to see the horrible commentary getting blasted on a big stage.

Luke Darcy has to be one of the worst PBP commentators to have covered the game. Not only is his voice not technically capable of calling the high octane, exciting moments sufficiently, but his bias against anything non-Vic is woefully embarrassing and detracts from the moment for those fans.

Hope he never commentates a Lions match again. Thought the others in the box were fine.

Wow, my sons were babies during our great years, they are 22 & 23 years old now, but sadly have no interest in AFL they have teased me most of their lives about my infatuation with the hopeless Lions.

Just awesome to make the big dance, and will no doubt be proud of our team no matter the outcome as am sure they will give their all.

But relish it people I certainly hope it's not another 20 years until our next GF, but with an 18 team competition (soon to expand) these days don't come too often in anybody's lifetime.

Go you mighty Lions!

I had the ultimate bite my tongue moment last night. Partner and I stopped at the service centre near the airport to pick up some takeaway. Next minute all the umpires from last nights game walked in (including Williamson). I of course had my Lions jacket on and umpire Foot looked at me and said “good win tonight?” I showed enormous restraint not to go back with “no thanks to you lot😇”. Now if I had only known that the score review overturned Cal’s goal because it flicked his hair, the goal umpire (who was there with the others)…….

Back