Opinion Is this rock bottom?

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon we are minimum 2 years away from being at least competitive.
I made a point of sitting a few rows back from the fence to get a different perspective & wow it looked even worse from there than from L3 or on TV.
So many players have 1 effort in them & then give up.
There is zero fwd 50 pressure when the ball hits the ground.
Defending is basically non existent.
They looked confused with the game plan or are unable to implement it.
We don't have many "smart" footballers
We can't stick tackles & can't break tackles

That's at a minimum, could have typed 10+ more lines.
It's a complete Sh1t show ATM

it's not our problem anymore, afl needs to give us better compo and handout to get us back on our feet.

It's good in a way that the ball is in the hands of the competition.

We are in this position because of the academy, compromised draft, f/s so i say f them, we are going to tank each year until afl gives us our fair share of the spoil or we get relegated. Oh, my bad there is no relegation so only afl handouts.
What a load of shit.

We are in this position because of poor decision after poor decision starting during the Scott years. This poor us mentality is pathetic and clearly engulfing the fans and players.
It's time to take ownership and dig ourselves out of this shit show. In what world was our back 6 going into this season going to be good enough for us to progress?

I am 35 years old. I have been a north fan since 1997. I am not enjoying footy anymore. I can't do anymore. The standards we accept are the standard we set. our two co captains and senior players are the problem. No one with big enough balls to drop them? I am not watching any more.
Really feel for our younger supporters

This isn't the (current) board's fault.

This rot happened under Ben Buckley. It just takes a little while to really manifest.
Time is time. Make the choices and get shit done now.

I’m happy to stipulate this board is soft as **** and can’t handle the current predicament

Time is time. Make the choices and get s**t done now.

I’m happy to stipulate this board is soft as * and can’t handle the current predicament
Quite frankly I think the board has actually done a lot of positive stuff to try and turn the ship around. In my opinion, it’s all about game day and on field leadership and direction.

Bat signal …

8nici6.jpg

I’m pretty sad like everyone here but one thing I want you all to remember is that MOST of our players are 22 and under. I checked. That is a very young list. The last few years have been horrendous too but the list has had to be reshaped for a long time and is still in the process now. I’m not usually too pragmatic about footy but all I can say is this time we have to give it time. That’s the only way I see it now.

So is Hawthorn’s!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mrs Gaso says tonight she’s going to have a Going Away party for a female friend leaving in the next 2 months

“Do you think you could make yourself scarce and head off to the footy one day?”

“Yeh sure”

Sit down and look at Draw

Nup
Nup
Nup
Nup
Nup
Nup

And so on.

I feel like those guys who dress up in their suits for Work when they’ve been sacked and go sit in the Vic Market food court.

So if you see some random sitting in their North gear not at a game, it’s me, at rock bottom

Really feel for our younger supporters

My 5 year old asked me if the Kangas losing all the time was his fault tonight

Then when I assured him it wasn’t he asked if it was Harry Sheezels fault, I let him know Harry is the only one who can’t be blamed

If we show up and half-arse it next week then we're not close to rock bottom, a trap door will open up and we'll free fall.

If we play with pride next week then we might look back on this moment as rock bottom.

We haven't hit rock bottom yet. That is coming. Here's why. Consider this comparison of us right now and another famous "cellar dweller" from the recent past.

Fitzroy
1989 12-10 97.4% (6th of 14 teams) - just missed the 5 team finals
1990 7-15 78.4% (12th out of 14 teams)
1991 4-18 69.5% (14th of 15)
1992 9-13 90.3% (10th of 15)
1993 10-10 99.5% (11th of 15)
1994 5-17 70.3% (14th of 15)
1995 2-20 58.2% (16th of 16)
1996 1-21 49.5% (16th of 16)
Overall record last 8 years (excluding season 1989): 38-114 (win %: 33.9)

** The AFL then terminated the Fitzroy license in 1996 due to repeated poor performance and off-field debts, and admitted Port Adelaide in their place in 1997. The 16 team balance is maintained, with no weekly bye. **

North Melbourne
2018 12-10 108.9% (9th out of 18 teams) - just missed the 8 team finals
2019 10-12 99.5% (10th of 18)
2020 3-14 71.2% (17th of 18) - shortened season
2021 4-1-17 70.3% (18th of 18)
2022 2-20 55.8% (18th of 18)
2023 3-20 71.5% (17th of 18)
2024 0-6 57.0% (18th of 18) so far
2025-2027 ??? but expecting much the same as the past 3-4 years
Overall record last 6 years and 6 rounds (excluding season 2018): 22-1-89 (win %: 20.0)
** The AFL terminates the North Melbourne license in 2027 due to consistent poor on-field performance and low crowd numbers, stating that "we want to improve and maintain a strong AFL brand and North Melbourne do not meet the standards required in order to satisfy that aim." North Melbourne are replaced by the Tasmanian Devils in 2028. The 18 team balance is maintained, with no weekly bye, and the AFL achieves a long-stated goal of reducing the number of Victorian teams. **

We've got three years after this season. If we keep going the way we're going now, and don't at least get out of the bottom four, we are toast, as a club. That's how I feel. If you disagree, I understand.

I'm usually an optimist, but the above scenario seems entirely logical and feasible.

The AFL is a brand and a corporation, and it cant have one of it's "products" under-performing in an already saturated market (Melbourne).

I've got rock bottom listed as the 5th of July when we play GC at Marvel. By that point we could be looking at a sub 5k crowd, whether we like it or not our future in this competition will start coming into question.

We haven't hit rock bottom yet. That is coming. Here's why. Consider this comparison of us right now and another famous "cellar dweller" from the recent past.

Fitzroy
1989 12-10 97.4% (6th of 14 teams) - just missed the 5 team finals
1990 7-15 78.4% (12th out of 14 teams)
1991 4-18 69.5% (14th of 15)
1992 9-13 90.3% (10th of 15)
1993 10-10 99.5% (11th of 15)
1994 5-17 70.3% (14th of 15)
1995 2-20 58.2% (16th of 16)
1996 1-21 49.5% (16th of 16)
Overall record last 8 years (excluding season 1989): 38-114 (win %: 33.9)

** The AFL then terminated the Fitzroy license in 1996 due to repeated poor performance and off-field debts, and admitted Port Adelaide in their place in 1997. The 16 team balance is maintained, with no weekly bye. **

North Melbourne
2018 12-10 108.9% (9th out of 18 teams) - just missed the 8 team finals
2019 10-12 99.5% (10th of 18)
2020 3-14 71.2% (17th of 18) - shortened season
2021 4-1-17 70.3% (18th of 18)
2022 2-20 55.8% (18th of 18)
2023 3-20 71.5% (17th of 18)
2024 0-6 57.0% (18th of 18) so far
2025-2027 ??? but expecting much the same as the past 3-4 years
Overall record last 6 years and 6 rounds (excluding season 2018): 22-1-89 (win %: 20.0)
** The AFL terminates the North Melbourne license in 2027 due to consistent poor on-field performance and low crowd numbers, stating that "we want to improve and maintain a strong AFL brand and North Melbourne do not meet the standards required in order to satisfy that aim." North Melbourne are replaced by the Tasmanian Devils in 2028. The 18 team balance is maintained, with no weekly bye, and the AFL achieves a long-stated goal of reducing the number of Victorian teams. **

We've got three years after this season. If we keep going the way we're going now, and don't at least get out of the bottom four, we are toast, as a club. That's how I feel. If you disagree, I understand.

I'm usually an optimist, but the above scenario seems entirely logical and feasible.

The AFL is a brand and a corporation, and it cant have one of it's "products" under-performing in an already saturated market (Melbourne).

If that’s the eventuality i won’t give a crap about AFL

Even watching neutral games from the unbiased position of observer is dreadful with the poor state of the rules, under and over officiating and the Spin Doctoring of the AFL.

What a load of s**t.

We are in this position because of poor decision after poor decision starting during the Scott years. This poor us mentality is pathetic and clearly engulfing the fans and players.
It's time to take ownership and dig ourselves out of this s**t show. In what world was our back 6 going into this season going to be good enough for us to progress?

Sure man, we of course need to take accountability. Why not do so and also benefit from the long awaited perennial bottom of table team handouts that melb and carlton enjoyed? Why no enjoy some top picks the gc and gws got given by the dozens.

And of course there those academy and certain vic country side team cheating salary cap with 3rd party real estate property deals?

Either the afl relegate us or accelerate our recovery process.

We were never going to improve once they kept McDonald & Simpkin as co captains.

I was surprised & worried at the time they announced it & those feelings have been confirmed.

One is apparently a top bloke & the other is a hard trainer. Apart from that, they offer nothing.

In the last 2 years I can't remember either of them doing anything inspiring on field.

Strong leadership is the foundation of success.
Seems there are no hard conversations happening, no accountability & no one driving elite standards.

Until these 2 are no longer captains, it will be more of the same.

From what I see & hear, Sheezel as a 19 year old is driving & pushing for higher standards & that is an indictment on the senior players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back