Changes vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I prefer clarke play a few solid peel game before recall one game here and there wont help freo and himself.

Admittedly not watched a heap of Freo games this year but has Ballentyne's niggle left his game. I don't recall him in recent years really getting under much skin. Has he changed his game a little or the pest been coached out of him?
I think you'll find it was umpired out of him a couple of years ago.
2013 Grand Final comes to mind.

Langdon is miles away from being one of the best kicks in our squad. His efficiency has been truly terrible at both WAFL and AFL level in 2016. In all seriousness his kicking has gone backwards from season 2015.

Have not been to many games with Langdon playing this year but I have never had an issue with his kicking style or penetration which appears to be 50 metres. This puts him ahead of at least two of our forwards in terms of forward line pressure from the fifty metre mark. Also one of those rare players who actually looks like they think they are going to kick the goal.

I did recently watch his game for Peel and in that game with rain falling his disposal and goal kicking was simply superb, not good, bloody fantastic. He is inexperienced, but in the bits I have seen of him kicking for goal in the AFL, I would find it very very surprising if he was not already one of our better kicks (not that that would be hard).

Have not been to many games with Langdon playing this year but I have never had an issue with his kicking style or penetration which appears to be 50 metres. This puts him ahead of at least two of our forwards in terms of forward line pressure from the fifty metre mark. Also one of those rare players who actually looks like they think they are going to kick the goal.

I did recently watch his game for Peel and in that game with rain falling his disposal and goal kicking was simply superb, not good, bloody fantastic. He is inexperienced, but in the bits I have seen of him kicking for goal in the AFL, I would find it very very surprising if he was not already one of our better kicks (not that that would be hard).
I think you overrated langdon, hate to said this the few game i saw him play his kicking is a lot worse than danyle, but dont mind him interchange playing weller/d.pearce/walters role for learning experience during match.

Screenshot_20160714-060012.png
0.3% better disposal than Pearce. Ed's had a few shanks that have stuck quite clearly in my mind but so has everyone this year. Before I checked i had thought Ed's would be somewhat middle of the pack and it is, not great, not terrible.

I didn't realise he had kicked 5 goals in 7 games though. I remember a few cheeky over top, right place right time type goals but that's what we want.

Disappointing to see Hill so far down the list. :-(

Should be interesting watching again this week Freo aren't without a chance, we are a very mediocre footy side with a couple of stars amongst a plethora of plodders. Good luck.
We are a mediocre team with no stars atm. Can't see any way that Geelong will lose this one. Just hope we bring some intensity we've not had the past two games and that it's a good game to watch at least.

Moved over to the states two years ago and been up at 3am watching all the games. This is the first time I don't want to get up to watch a game lol being 3am and on a Friday morning against geelong I don't see any chance of pigs flying around :( even though it's been like that all year lol

View attachment 265936
0.3% better disposal than Pearce. Ed's had a few shanks that have stuck quite clearly in my mind but so has everyone this year. Before I checked i had thought Ed's would be somewhat middle of the pack and it is, not great, not terrible.

I didn't realise he had kicked 5 goals in 7 games though. I remember a few cheeky over top, right place right time type goals but that's what we want.

Disappointing to see Hill so far down the list. :-(
Disposal efficiency isn't a great stat when used in isolation though - unfortunately Champion Data don't release the kick rating stat publicly - it is a much better for this discussion as it takes away any skewing from handballs (Langdon has the lowest disposals per game of all our mids and less than half of those are kicks). I like Langdon but he has the lowest metres gained (people don't like this stat but it is an important one for outside mids), the lowest inside 50s, the lowest score involvements, the lowest marks, the lowest uncontested possessions and the second lowest contested possessions of all our midfielders. He does have our second most goals per game (0.8) of all our mids though - Fyfe being first. I've said it before, he is pretty good at the end of a scoring chain but doesn't do enough otherwise. Maybe he is better utilised as more a small forward rather than as an outside mid?

Admittedly not watched a heap of Freo games this year but has Ballentyne's niggle left his game. I don't recall him in recent years really getting under much skin. Has he changed his game a little or the pest been coached out of him?
I for one ( as stupid as it sounds) used to love the clashes he had with Geelong players - Chappy, Scarlett, Stevie J. It was a little side show in an always captivating tough match.
Should be interesting watching again this week Freo aren't without a chance, we are a very mediocre footy side with a couple of stars amongst a plethora of plodders. Good luck.

His niggle and flair has been umpired out of him. If Balla even gives a dirty look to an opposition player they blow the whistle on him. We heard it with our own ears when the umps were miked up for the prelim. Club appears to have laid down over it too. It's a shame.

Disposal efficiency isn't a great stat when used in isolation though - unfortunately Champion Data don't release the kick rating stat publicly - it is a much better for this discussion as it takes away any skewing from handballs (Langdon has the lowest disposals per game of all our mids and less than half of those are kicks). I like Langdon but he has the lowest metres gained (people don't like this stat but it is an important one for outside mids), the lowest inside 50s, the lowest score involvements, the lowest marks, the lowest uncontested possessions and the second lowest contested possessions of all our midfielders. He does have our second most goals per game (0.8) of all our mids though - Fyfe being first. I've said it before, he is pretty good at the end of a scoring chain but doesn't do enough otherwise. Maybe he is better utilised as more a small forward rather than as an outside mid?
Competely agree on the DE% stat. Removing handballs from the equation would make it alot more useful.

Not really sure about the other stats you've pulled up though. Are you suggesting they play similar positions? Danyle plays the majority of the game in the midfield. Ed plays a little bit as an outside mid/ a little bit as a small forward and also some time in the Bermuda Triangle that is our HFF line. Danyle should be out 'stat-ing' him.

Screenshot_20160714-082542.png

Screenshot_20160714-082427.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Swan song freo season always make player like mayne better in all stats;)

Last edited:
I think you overrated langdon, hate to said this the few game i saw him play his kicking is a lot worse than danyle, but dont mind him interchange playing weller/d.pearce/walters role for learning experience during match.

Yeah possibly I have over rated him a little on one performance. But geez he put on a clinic of goal kicking in that last Peel game he played.

But we need to remember that he is not playing midfield because of his inexperience same as Weller, who Ross has indicated may be introduced more into the midfield this game. So I can't see how Ed can avoid being on the "end" of the goal and in fact I think it is great that he is smart enough.

We all get caught up on statistics too much. I am talking about an inexperienced player who has the fundamentals of a very good kicking style and a cool head when kicking for goal. Because of inexperience Ed's disposal efficiency is not high but I think it could be in the future if he is allowed to develop.

The opposite is Barlow who I love being in the team but has a reasonably poor kick (especially at the beginning of the year) it hangs in the air too much and misses targets, but gets better as the year goes past.

Just imo Weller and Langdon have the fundamentals of very good kickers of the football and thankfully look great in front of goal unlike quite a few others. Why wouldn't we want to develop that?

Having said that, other footballers have different skills and that's great, Blakley may end up being the superior player, certainly is at the moment, but it is not based on his kicking it his other skills that he brings.

Wouldn't be adverse to this. It's going to get pretty hard to fit all of Weller, Blakely, Hill, Fyfe, Bennell, Mundy, Tucker, Neale, Danyle and occasionally Walters and maybe Barlow into the midfield next year. Even if you use a few off half back or half forward.

Langdon's goal kicking appears decent, he seems to have a decent sense of where to lead to judging by that peel game and he's quick. We could do worse than try and develop him as a forward. Ballantyne is not young.

That's eleven midfielders Macca, which is a bare minimum in any 22. Also not much chance of them all being fit and available on any given day.

That's eleven midfielders Macca, which is a bare minimum in any 22. Also not much chance of them all being fit and available on any given day.
Fyfe, Bennell, Mundy, Walters, Neale, Hill, Barlow, D.Pearce, Suban, Sheridan, Blakely, Weller, Tucker, Balic, SPS (?) - that's 15 there and we'd probably pick up at least one more through the draft. Could also add one or more of Clancee, de Boer, Gu and Grey.

Sutcliffe, Crozier, Hughes, Ballantyne and Langdon can all pinch hit in the middle as well. Think it's more a question of class available rather than depth when it comes to our midfield.

His niggle and flair has been umpired out of him. If Balla even gives a dirty look to an opposition player they blow the whistle on him. We heard it with our own ears when the umps were miked up for the prelim. Club appears to have laid down over it too. It's a shame.

As much as I hated his ways, its also the reason people develop a love of the game and team. He certainly new how to evoke emotions from opposition supporters and now looking back your dead right its a shame because he was/is a real character and was always a talking point before, during and after each and every game. He may turn back the clock tomorrow night and be at his antagonistic best, as he was a player most Cats supporters and players loved to hate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back