AFLW Round 5 Discussion - 2021 AFLW season

Remove this Banner Ad

Only caught the end of the game. Any idea what happened to Conti's face? Is that a footy injury or what?

Saturday teams:

Regarding Sunday, not great news for Sarah Rowe with more shoulder issues, but a relatively good time to sit a few games out in the context of Collingwood's season. Presumably means Aliesha Newman comes back in, even though she's started the year poorly (my fault, cursed her as a Coleman prediction).

Roe shouldn't have played that game. She was taped up like a mummy last Saturday and kept grabbing that shoulder. Now she's out for three weeks. Not that she hurts our structure too much. That one forward line position could go to Roe, Maddie Shevlin, Amelia Verlado (If she finds form in the seconds), or Aliesha Newman (If she gets rid of that helmet lol. I swear she's been cursed ever since she became a bucket head. But in all seriousness, really needs a big game this week).

McKenzie’s so good!
That evasion of 3 Cats players, then a 3 bounce run in the third quarter was crazy, just that natural confidence to do something like that is outrageous

Ellie McKenzie must have her name on one of this week's princely $500 cheques from NAB. That, I should think, gets the three* main Rising Star contenders into the starting gates. Choosing between her, Fitzgerald and Smith right now would be tough. I'd probably keep the little goal sneak in front by a nose if she adds another trick or two to her highlight tape against GWS.
*The stupid rules (and the fact that Hanks should have been nominated 2 years ago anyway) beg to differ, but some common sense voting would be nice.

Speaking of nose and tape: "Herrrrre's Monni!" Wait, wrong movie... "Forget it, Jacques*, it's Conti Town." Tonight she recorded her fourth-consecutive game of 25+ disposals. I'm pretty sure that's an AFLW first, albeit a rather arbitrary one since Parker was a single R3 touch away from having already achieved it and Davey may also end up doing it on Sunday. Still, it poses the intriguing question of where her form goes from here, considering she's always starting and finishing her pre-season much later than most.
*Nice goal though, kid.

Ellie McKenzie must have her name on one of this week's princely $500 cheques from NAB. That, I should think, gets the three* main Rising Star contenders into the starting gates. Choosing between her, Fitzgerald and Smith right now would be tough. I'd probably keep the little goal sneak in front by a nose if she adds another trick or two to her highlight tape against GWS.
*The stupid rules (and the fact that Hanks should have been nominated 2 years ago anyway) beg to differ, but some common sense voting would be nice.

Speaking of nose and tape: "Herrrrre's Monni!" Wait, wrong movie... "Forget it, Jacques*, it's Conti Town." Tonight she recorded her fourth-consecutive game of 25+ disposals. I'm pretty sure that's an AFLW first, albeit a rather arbitrary one since Parker was a single R3 touch away from having already achieved it and Davey may also end up doing it on Sunday. Still, it poses the intriguing question of where her form goes from here, considering she's always starting and finishing her pre-season much later than most.
*Nice goal though, kid.
I’d be fairly salty if McKenzie doesn’t get the nominations this week. Her kicking was great, she got a lot of the ball and the run she provided us was one of the reasons why we won. She also hit the scoreboard too on top of that. Hopefully it’s her Rising Star nomination week

I have been looking forward to this one. Ben Dixon just said all the pressure is on the Bulldogs today, couldn't disagree more! Season over for the Giants if they lose. Whether the Dogs go 4-1 or 3-2, they've still got two bottom 3 2020 teams on their horizon (admittedly Adelaide could be one, but ya never know).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geez that was just a parade of pissweak efforts by Giants defenders in Q2. Probably unfair to single any one player out, so I'll name three: Randall, Lister and Stephenson.

Mackrill has had just one touch but I don't even recall seeing her out there, not sure if she got injured early (Edit: have now noticed her our there with 3min left in Q3). GWS lead clearances 16-7 despite managing only 82 disposals and barely looking like scoring.

Last edited:
If I had to put my finger on one difference between the Dogs of this afternoon and the Dogs of the past few weeks, it'd have to be Bonnie Toogood not screwing up every passage of play she's involved in. Today was the first time since her debut year in 2018 that she's strung 5 games together, and the first time she's looked as confident as she did throughout most of that season.

Gold numbers not really getting the job done on that white Brisbane jumper...

That goal by Bonnie Toogood (the one where she turned the players inside out and nailed it from the pocket) was pretty darn good.

the umpiring in this last quarter is deadset the worst ive ever seen

Heave-Hoes just can't put it through the middle ones. Is it now Collingwoods flag to lose? Or does the answer come after tomorrows game?

the umpiring in this last quarter is deadset the worst ive ever seen
They let the teams play.
Rather that than frees for every contest 2 weeks prior.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back