Toast Welcome to St.Kilda - HUGO GARCIA!

Remove this Banner Ad

A fairytale AFL debut, and an impressive showing once subbed in, has lead to an outpouring of emotions from the previously ice cool Garcia

img]

Great debut, Hugo! The reports from our trackwatchers over preseason have proved correct. We may have landed the steal of the 2023 draft.

I only saw him play once before today and that was against the dopers in the VFL. I must say, I was impressed by what I saw, especially his ferocious attack on the ball. Some others should take note.

I love the emotionless psychopathic stare as well (thanks Dr. Spaceman).

Given Wilson's form, the promise shown by Collard, Hastie and Arie, the 2023 draft is shaping as our best since 2001.

As a bonus, Hugo may have broken our Calder Cannons' drafting curse. The players we previously selected from there make for sad reading.

as impressive a (sub) debut as I have seen. Just looked completely at ease with the pace, often a step ahead of his opponents (albeit with fresher legs). Looks like an inside/outside proposition that can run both ways and tackle. Im sure with more exposure some weaknesses will pop up, but right now he and wilson have shown the most promise as first year midfielders since at least dunstan, the difference being these boys both seem to be able to kick over a jam tin. Full game next week!

as impressive a (sub) debut as I have seen. Just looked completely at ease with the pace, often a step ahead of his opponents (albeit with fresher legs). Looks like an inside/outside proposition that can run both ways and tackle. Im sure with more exposure some weaknesses will pop up, but right now he and wilson have shown the most promise as first year midfielders since at least dunstan, the difference being these boys both seem to be able to kick over a jam tin. Full game next week!
As long as he plays as a mid and not a hf or similar. If we can’t play him as a mid, I’d rather he played VFL and continued his development as an on ball player there.
Garcia is shaping up as that mid we’ve been crying out for. He’s ahead of Windy, Owens and Pou in his positioning and ability to get his hands on the ball, especially around clearances.

Does anyone know where we rated Garcia on our Draft Board?

Looks like a steal
The way I remembered draft night last year was that he was a bit of a surprise even at pick 50. When I say that, I just don’t recall his name or any posters from this board advocating for him during the draft thread on draft night last year.

Saints swapped a pick to get that pick 50 by memory? The club clearly wanted him at that pick. How many other clubs rated him? I’m not too sure on that one.

It’s a complete bonus to a footy club when your pick 50 is producing that kind of output. For all the people knocking Byrnes, he has been a complete success at pick 52 and has been a solid contributor. Not bad going at all.

Garcia is shaping up as that mid we’ve been crying out for. He’s ahead of Windy, Owens and Pou in his positioning and ability to get his hands on the ball, especially around clearances.

Yes, how exciting is this, a younger player who in his first (part) game looks like a genuine mid, and who displayed all the skills that you want in a mid. Both offensively and defensively.

For far, far, too long we have been looking for a young mid, and hoping that Xxxx or Yyyyy who is not a mid can become a mid eventually. Windy of our younger players looks to me to be the most likely chance to be a full time mid. Jury is out on the others so far for me as to them becoming fulltime mids, including the Poo who for example lacks as yet the knack of good midfield positioning.

Now it was only one third of a game and so EARLY days yet, but his game screamed genuine mid. Now I love for example Sincs as a player. Elite gun at HB, and ok for runs through the middle but Sincs does not have that knack of midfield positioning that good mids just have.

Hugo has some nice burst pace too.

Last edited:
The way I remembered draft night last year was that he was a bit of a surprise even at pick 50. When I say that, I just don’t recall his name or any posters from this board advocating for him during the draft thread on draft night last year.

Saints swapped a pick to get that pick 50 by memory? The club clearly wanted him at that pick. How many other clubs rated him? I’m not too sure on that one.

It’s a complete bonus to a footy club when your pick 50 is producing that kind of output. For all the people knocking Byrnes, he has been a complete success at pick 52 and has been a solid contributor. Not bad going at all.

Apparently Wayne Hughes had spotted him, and brought him to Chris Toce's attention, who also liked him.
They traded a future 3rd for him.
Next draft, stand by for some guy who plays VFL for Carlton.

Yes, how exciting is this, a younger player who in his first (part) game looks like a genuine mid, and who displayed all the skills that you want in a mid. Both offensively and defensively.

For far, far, too long we have been looking for a young mid, and hoping that Xxxx or Yyyyy who is not a mid can become a mid eventually. Windy of our younger players looks to me to be the most likely chance to be a full time mid. Jury is out on the others so far for me as to them becoming fulltime mids, including the Poo who for example lacks as yet the knack of good midfield positioning.

Now it was only one third of a game and so EARLY days yet, but his game screamed genuine mid. Now I love for example Sincs as a player. Elite gun at HB, and ok for runs through the middle but Sincs does not have that knack of midfield positioning that good mids just have.

Hugo has some nice burst pace too.

Anyone who plays the "AFL fantasy" stuff, based on his stats, Hugo had a score in the 50s after 1/3 of a game.
Most new players are getting around 50 after their first few full games. Wilson for example has been getting around 50 per game, as have the likes of Harley Reid or McKercher.

Of course fantasy points are crap, and a player can still get good points , and be garbage....but....Hugo wasn't , he passed stats test and the eye test.

Great Debut :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He looked really good attacking the loose ball. Agile and quick and good hands in the clinches...he did more in a half than Zak Jones did the week prior. Lowered his eyes going inside 50 that one time looked very positive. And I also loved the quick gather, spin and snap at goal (even though it went out on the full).

Hugo showed plenty to be honest, and his hard work in tight is a genuine boost for Steele.

Put him in the starting 22 please Ross.

Does anyone know where we rated Garcia on our Draft Board?

Looks like a steal
Sos was telling people at the draftee meet and greet introduction night like a week after the draft that it was in the back end of a traditional second round.

So let’s say 40ish?

There was another club who came hard for a pick around the time we landed Hugo too.

Would love to know who it was. Sometimes you can add to the excitement when you see who else rated the kid - because their talent id might be very good.

Brynes is a centre mid, who can win clearances and burst away, yes, his skills are not clean sometimes, but you don’t need to as an inside mid. Put him in the guts and let him go to work. Same with Garcia, he is a contested beast, and very quick decision maker / can hit mid-distance target on the run.. I will add one more, Liam Stocker. Was a very good inside Mid with Sandringham dragons.. should try him in the middle sometimes.

To me, Philipou and Owens are not natural mids so they seem always 1 step behind and 2nd to the footy, that’s why Owens is most effective when rucking / in the forward line, likewise Philipou.

Last edited:
Brynes is a centre mid, who can win clearances and burst away, yes, his skills are not clean sometimes, but you don’t need to as an inside mid. Put him in the guts and let him go to work. Same with Garcia, he is a contested beast, and very quick decision maker / can hit mid-distance target on the run.. I will add one more, Liam Stocker. Was a very good inside Mid with Sandringham dragons.. should try him in the middle sometimes.

To me, Philipou and Owens are not natural mids so they seem always 1 step behind and 2nd to the footy, that’s why Owens is most effective when rucking / in the forward line, likewise Philipou.

Byrnes is not a centre mid.
As often or not he doesn't win a clearance and his contested ball winning is average. He's kind of a Seb Ross type general midfielder to me. Not putting him down, every team needs these sorts of players. Garcia will be a centre mid before Byrnes. But meanwhile i hope that Dow works out there first.

Where did Carlton play Stocker, because he really didn't work out for them?

Byrnes is not a centre mid.
As often or not he doesn't win a clearance and his contested ball winning is average. He's kind of a Seb Ross type general midfielder to me. Not putting him down, every team needs these sorts of players. Garcia will be a centre mid before Byrnes. But meanwhile i hope that Dow works out there first.

Where did Carlton play Stocker, because he really didn't work out for them?
Carlton played Stocker at HB, same position as we have him now. Partly due to Carlton’s plethora of inside mids, as well as Stocker’s poor tank. I’d say if Stocker’s tank has improved, try him in the middle..

Carlton played Stocker at HB, same position as we have him now. Partly due to Carlton’s plethora of inside mids, as well as Stocker’s poor tank. I’d say if Stocker’s tank has improved, try him in the middle..
Carlton were a rabble when he was there. Stagnated his development, same with Dow. Just like we did will billings

When is the last time the Saints played 5 draftees (18/19) y.o. in the same year?

That makes it harder, ( those players were 2021 not 2022 , my error).
We also had 5 in 2019, but it included Parker, Wilkie , Young , Hind and Langlands, the latter the only one less than 20.

We had 7 in 2018, only 3 less than 20. ( Coff, Clark, Paton. The rest were Rice, Phillips, Joyce, Freeman ).

We nearly made it in 2015.
Lonie, Sinclair, McKenzie, McCartin, Goddard, Holmes. Sinclair was 20 and Holmes was 25.

Due to all our clever trading it was unusual for us to have 5 draft picks in a year, so then ( to be 18/19) they mostly have to be good enough to get a game by their second year.

Back when Webster made his Debut.
Nathan Wright (19) , Murdoch (19), Saunders (19) Webster (19) , Minchington (19) / Curren (20), Fergason (20), Lee(22)
Shenton (22).

Webster last man standing of the 9 debutants.

So now you have to change it to "when is the last time the saints played 5 draftees ,18/19YO , some of them 18, one of them named Hugo , in the same year".

That makes it harder, ( those players were 2021 not 2022 , my error).
We also had 5 in 2019, but it included Parker, Wilkie , Young , Hind and Langlands, the latter the only one less than 20.

We had 7 in 2018, only 3 less than 20. ( Coff, Clark, Paton. The rest were Rice, Phillips, Joyce, Freeman ).

We nearly made it in 2015.
Lonie, Sinclair, McKenzie, McCartin, Goddard, Holmes. Sinclair was 20 and Holmes was 25.

Due to all our clever trading it was unusual for us to have 5 draft picks in a year, so then ( to be 18/19) they mostly have to be good enough to get a game by their second year.

Back when Webster made his Debut.
Nathan Wright (19) , Murdoch (19), Saunders (19) Webster (19) , Minchington (19) / Curren (20), Fergason (20), Lee(22)
Shenton (22).

Webster last man standing of the 9 debutants.

So now you have to change it to "when is the last time the saints played 5 draftees ,18/19YO , some of them 18, one of them named Hugo , in the same year".
That 2012 draft will prbably go down as one of the worst of all time.
In 2011 we got Ross Webster and Newnes so
500+ games from not having a pick below 20 is pretty impressive.

In 2012

Quality PLayers in order

Whitfield
Mccrae
Stringer
Wines
Viney (FS)
Vlastuin
Daniher (FS)
Grundy
Tim Membrey
mason Wood

That is literally it.

That 2012 draft will prbably go down as one of the worst of all time.
In 2011 we got Ross Webster and Newnes so
500+ games from not having a pick below 20 is pretty impressive.

In 2012

Quality PLayers in order

Whitfield
Mccrae
Stringer
Wines
Viney (FS)
Vlastuin
Daniher (FS)
Grundy
Tim Membrey
mason Wood

That is literally it.
ahem? I think you're forgetting Tom Campbell? Helllooo?

Ah wait he was actually a rookie promotion like Zac Tuohy, so I guess that doesn't count. Play on

Remove this Banner Ad

Back